“Lovely place to chill out” 5 of 5 stars

20 Degres Sud Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coastal Road, Pointe Malartic, Grand Baie, Mauritius   |
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Grand Baie
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to chill out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a high class hotel with a lovely atmosphere and wonderful food. They put on good entertainment every night which is great as the night life in Grand Baie is not brilliant. There are many nice beaches to visit and there is a boat across the bay to the town

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I have recently returned from our Honeymoon at 20 Degres Sud and we had a fabulous time both at this hotel and Mauritius in general.
As many have mentioned previously, the hotel is extremely peaceful and intimate - the overall style and look of the hotel is fantastic and really lives up to the boutique branding. The attention to detail over the styling is incredible and the modern/colonial feel to all aspects of the hotel works extremely well.
The hotel is small, with only approximately 35 rooms and this lends itself to the perfect romantic holiday destination. Despite the hotels size, you certainly do not miss out on any of the facilities you would expect of a larger hotel. There are two reasonably sized pools to choose from, a fantastic bar located at the centre of the hotel complex, a spar offering the usual treatments, boats/ kayaks for water-sport activities and a concierge service that provides trips especially for hotel residents.
Our beach-front bedroom was fairly small in size, especially given the price paid - but was superbly decorated and maintained the modern/colonial feel of the hotel. It was nice to have a view of the sea from our room but I am not sure it was worth the extra expense now that we have visited the hotel. The basic rooms, located at the centre of the hotel overlooking the pool would have been fine,
There is not really a beach to speak of at the hotel, more a very small stretch of rocky sand on which the hotel water-sport boats are positioned, but there is a very nice local beach nearby to which you can cycle using the free to hire hotel bikes if that is what you are looking for.
The staff at the hotel were extremely polite and helpful. Unlike other hotels I have been too they are not 'in your face' offering you drinks etc which allows you to relax in comfort. The 'Boathouse' crew, who run the water-sports and free boat shuttles were also extremely helpful.
The trips offered by the hotel are amazing and we would certainly recommend the Catamaran trip to 'Flat Island'. The concierge, who works for the hotel, was a little hard sell in his approach and seemed to soften only after a few trips were booked.
Evenings at the hotel are fantastic, if you are looking for a romantic intimate experience. The exceptional attention to detail extends into the evenings with ambient candles being lit, coloured lights placed in the pool and exceptionally good local live music. The bar offers happy hour on various nights and there is always a cocktail of the day.
One aspect that does let the hotel down is its evening meals. The other meals at the hotel - breakfast (which is free) and lunch (which is not included) are fantastic and the choice/variety is superb. The evening meals however, do need to be looked at. Having booked 'Half Board' we were expecting that our evening meals would have already been paid for but upon looking at the menu only certain dishes are included whereas others you have to pay an additional supplementary cost. This would be fine if there was enough choice on the menu for included meals to satisfy you whilst on your trip but there were only three starters, for example, that were 'included', now as we were there over two weeks, with no change to the menu, this means you invariably have to choose meals not included and pay the additional cost - unless you do not value variation! The quality of the evening meals was also below the standard you would expect from a hotel of this calibre with over elaborate dishes falling down on both taste and execution, and this was something commented upon by other guests during our stay.The hotel does have theme nights on certain evenings (Indian and Chinese) with food matching the themes and the food during these nights was better than those on the A La Carte menu. If the evening food can be improved the hotel would go from being excellent to perfect in my view.
Overall this is a fantastic hotel for anyone looking for an intimate, romantic holiday. The boutique nature of the hotel really stands out and the attention to detail in terms of look and service is second to none. There is plenty to do at the hotel to keep you occupied and you certainly do not miss out due to the small size of the hotel. The hotel never feels crowded and the most people we saw in the pool at any one time was two - and you can always get a sunbed!! The only area that needs work is the evening meal - both in terms of quality, variety and value!
We would certainly go back to this hotel in the future!

Room Tip: Beachfront Rooms are not really worth the additional cost and charme rooms are fine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I have recently returned home after spending eight wonderful nights at 20 degrees Sud.
We had a magical time. When searching for a hotel we wanted something small and individual which is exactly what we found, 20 Degrees Sud is less hotel-more elegant guesthouse.
It was beautifully furnished with large comfy sofa's to snuggle up on with a book in the evening, a wonderful billiards table, chess and scrabble.
The food was fantastic, breakfast was never ending, afternoon tea was decadent and dinner was a very special treat.
Our room was gorgeous with a roll top tub and a outdoor shower! Every night the turn down service made us smile with their new towel creations!
The free bicycle hire service was great and meant we could cycle to the beautiful beaches along the coast which was great fun.
We had a wonderful relaxing honeymoon- and will return someday soon I hope!

Buxton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have just returned from a 5 night stay as part of a longer 12 night stay on the island.

The Hotel is a wonderful example of a small and boutique place to stay, with beautifully designed rooms, public areas, fine dining and personal service only to be dreamt about in the larger chain resorts.

You enter straight from the street through a large oak door into an intimate, palm tree strewn courtyard style area, which includes bar, dining areas and beautiful sitting areas....the whole place seemed to combine colonial cool with traditional Mauritian style.

The welcome was very warm (greeted at the car) and we were taken to the bar for a welcome drink before being shown to our room.

The room was simply stunning. A exercise in great interior design, fantastic to look at and perfectly functional. A large 4 poster bed and fantastic bathroom which included roll-top bath, double sinks, separate wet room and toilet areas, all presented in the same beautiful style....

We stayed on half board basis which included breakfast and a three course meal every evening. The chef included a suggested 'meal of the day' but you could substitute plenty of alternatives from an la carte menu.

The food was one of the highlights of our stay. It combined traditional Mauritian cuisine with a french twist. True fine dining of an exceptional quality.

There were free coffees and hot chocolate all day and freshly made cake from 4PM with a selection of teas, which was a lovely touch!

The restaurant also served an excellent a la carte lunch which was of the same high standards.

The spa was excellent and provided free hamman and sauna facilities to guests.

This hotel has a quiet, secluded, exclusive feel to it. It has so many quiet, exceptionally comfortable sitting areas, both inside and out, which make relaxing and unwinding so easy! Even the music played through the hotel is cool. No 'muzak' here!

Overall, a wonderful place to stay. Intimate, unique and a little gem.

We booked our stay through Angelfish Travel (Mauritius Direct), who were excellent and without their advice I might have missed this place.....

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

I recently booked a room for me and my partner at said hotel. Sadly, due to serious illness in my family, I had to cancel our stay. I cancelled the booking almost a month and a half in advance and therefore could get my full deposit of €1 500 back.

It has now been 15 days and I have received no refund. During this period I have made copious amounts of calls, send heaps of emails just to try and find out how long and when I can expect my refund.

The management had been extremely unhelpful and rude to me. Phones have been hung up on me and emails have been ignored.

I've been given all sorts of interesting excuses ie the accountant is out of town, their offices are offline, the bank is offline, the manager is away and his signature is needed. The list goes on and on.

Like I said, it had now been 15 days and I still have received no payment nor have I received any inclination of when I can expect my refund.

They have left me no choice but to seek legal advice.

They were extremely quick to demand the money when the booking was made but it seems they are very reluctant to return it when a cancellation is requested.

I am really appalled and shocked at the way I have been treated by the reception staff and general management. They came across as rude, unhelpful and very unprofessional.

I had several other bookings on the island which I cancelled on the same date as this hotel, within 24 hours all my deposits were fully refunded.

Best of luck to the next person who makes a cancellation.

Stayed August 2012
Michel-Bourgeois, Owner at 20 Degres Sud Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Madam,
We are aware of the delay but would like to highlight the reasons : you gave us incorrect details and our bank refused the transfer.
We had to contact you again to get correct information, and as it was not immediately possible, the refund was finally sent 13 days after your cancellation.
Rest asure that we apology for that, but we do not understand how agressively you are reacting for a... 13 days delay !
Best regards,
Michel Bourgeois, Owner of 20°Sud hotel.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here for one week (out of two weeks on Mauritius) in July, in an Austral Suite, booked through Angelfish / Mauritius direct - and for us it was a perfect choice.

As they claim on the website, this is a hotel with a difference, and although it has all the amenities and services of a hotel (or resort) - it actually feels more like......well.....something different.

The hotel (in lack of a better word) is very well laid out, and you instantly notice that a lot of thought and effort has been put into the decoration and style. The whole place oozes of a cozy colonial island atmosphere that fits perfectly into the destination. The ambiance is strengthen even further by the wonderful staff, excellent food and e.g. the complimentary daily tea time and the setup for dinner around the pool area and bar with lanterns etc..

The location is good, it is kind of an upscale and quiet residential area, by (complimentary) bike it is 20 min. to Grand Baie proper (for shopping) and 15 min. to Mon Choisy beach (for sunset and beach vistas). The hotel is facing the sunrise, so around mid-afternoon the sun will disappear from that side of the small peninsula, giving you a valid reason for leaving the property and get a 15 min. exercise on the bike to Mon Choisy where you can have a gorgeous sunset.

The food was absolutely excellent, most days we ended up selecting the daily three course menu, and often had to make some hard choices, in order to also sample some the very tasty dishes off the menu (we had HB). You will be spoiled for choice and quality at 20 Sud.

We stayed in an Austral Suite and it was an excellent (very large) room with a large veranda overlooking Grand Baie. Spotlessly clean, excellent housekeeping and turndown service, and a lot of nice amenities like Nespresso machine, Ipod Dock etc.. They do have a lot of different rooms, and I think a really good choice would be a beachfront room on the first floor, as they seemed to have a veranda area on both sides (facing the water and the courtyard).

As others have stated, there is really not much of a beach, but they have done a really good job with what they have, and the view of Grand Baie is captivating. We knew this upfront, so it did not bother us, also we would be going to Lux Le Morne (stunning beach location), for the second week. 20 Sud also have free snorkeling trips daily and a free boat shuttle to Grand Baie.

Anyways, If you are reading this, I am guessing that you are trying to figure out where to stay on Maurtitius.......right?

I know it can be a difficult task.......and after all......you are trusting someone with your precious vacation time and hard earned money, and hoping that they will deliver a product that will meet and hopefully exceed your expectations.......well let me help you out here:

If you can do without a very long beach right in front of your room, and "settle" for a small but nice beach area with a captivating view of the turquoise waters of Grand Baie, do not hesitate with putting 20 Sud right on top of your short list........if you are so lucky that you have the time to experience two different places on Mauritius.......just book 20 Sud immediately.....

Room Tip: The suites all look very nice, but value wise I think the Beachfront Rooms are the best choice.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I had booked a two week AI in Mauritius and independantly booked two nights at this stunning small hotel as a mini break from my main hotel.
This polished little gem of a hotel delivered a real "wow" factor from the moment I booked ( via bookings.com) to the moment I reluctantly left.
:Prior to my booking, I was advised that due to maintenance the dates I wanted were not available and an alternative was offered. I just changed my dates as I specifically wanted to stay at 20o South. The hotel quickly responded, and new dates were confirmed. The booking agent took days to confirm new dates. A lesson here... bigger is not better, and 20o South was already showing a committment to personal service.

On arrival, I was warmly greeted by Vic, who arranged for my bag to be taken to my room while I enjoyed a delicious cocktail, cool towel and an introduction to the hotel. Again Vic advised me that being the winter some maintenance work was taking place, and she hoped this didn't interfere with my stay.
I stayed in a beach facing Charm room. As other reviewers have previously stated, these are smaller rooms, but I didn't find this a problem. Beautifully decorated, with a huge canopied four poster bed, ample storage space,TV, tea and coffee making facilities, a/c, and lots of ambient and spot lighting. The bathroom was the same size as the bedroom with a huge bathtub (with a hand held shower), a seperate shower and toilet. The bath products, soap, shower gel, shampoo and conditoner, were of exceptional quality and quantity.. no fiddly little sachets !! The bath towels were spotless, huge,and wonderfully fluffy, and cotton waffle dressing gowns were provided.

I knew that the sandy beach was small, but there was ample room to stretch out on very comfortable sun beds which had been placed in the gardens and sandy terraces, over looking the bay. As the hotel faces east, it did catch the breeze, but some sun beds had been shielded by perspex screens. The hotel pools were also placed behind large clear screens, affording stunning views to the bay, but without the wind. All the screen were sympathetically planted with gorgeous foliage and looked very natural.
The food was outstanding! Proper orange juice for breakfast, scambled eggs that had been made with real butter, and a toaster that actually worked! There was ample choice, and for me, starting the day on an open terrace over looking one of the swimming pools could not be beaten.
The hotel has obviously listened to other comments and reviews. The menu clearly identifies what is included in the daily package, and states what can be taken at an additonal cost. As I was only there for 2 nights, the included choice was ample for me. Delicious imaginatve food, beautifully presented, and excellent service. The wine list was extensive for such a small hotel, and again of excellent quality.

I used the spa for a massage and manicure/pedicure. This was such treat! The ladies here really know their stuff, and I emerged totally relaxed and beaming. Prices are less than I would expect in the UK, and the treatment rooms were comfortable and soothing. For the mani/pedi, I had two ladies working simultaneously while I stretched out on a comfy bed with a lavender scented towel over my eyes.. bliss.

I also went on the day trip to Flat Island that had been recommended by previous reviewers. This was an expensive day out ( 4400 MRU), but was one of the high lights of my whole holiday! The catamaran takes 90 minutes to get to Flat Island, which included tea/coffee and pastries en route, a stop for some snorkelling and a lucky chance encounter with some dolphins. The catamaran takes 8 guests, and after some initial shyness, my fellow travellers became engaging company. Cocktails, beer, wine and soft drinks with little snacks were offered from the "beach bar" while we all lounged on generously large bean bags in the sun. Wear light clothing and swimmies, as the spray from sitting at the front of the catamaran on the trip over meant we well all soaked! After our collective clothing dried we all proceeded to enjoy a delicious long ( wine fuelled!) lunch at the remains of the Governors House. There are shower and toilet facillities.My only comment was that I would have expected a final drink at sunset on the catamaran trip back!

Cocktail hour at the hotel was a welcome interlude. Delicious snacks were served, and the hotel's owners ensured they met guests and asked if guests were enjoying their visit.

Wifi is free,even from bedrooms, and capacious beach bags are provided for chucking in beach towels, book etc.
Staff: I was impressed with the genuine warmth of my welcome, which continued until I sadly left! In particular Michael ensured I did manage to get to Flat Island, Karen was a sweetie at reception, Vic's warm welcome started from the moment arrives, to when I left, Faisal made sure me laugh with the towel sculptures, and all the waiters were helpful and attentive. For such a small hotel, the staffing level was very high.
The hotel arranged a taxi return to my main hotel that was cheaper than the taxi the taxi I had booked to take me to 20o South.
Any negatives? Hardly... the hotel has 2 pin plug sockets, but provide free adapters if needed. The actual plug sockets (2) for my room were limited and at floor level.. At meal times, bottled water was charged, which I thougt was odd given the exceptional quality of the hotel's facilities and services.
Last impressions: I hope this stays as a small hotel, as the attention to detail, ambience, quality and staff services just cannot be repicated in larger hotels. Even if you are staying in another hotel for the bulk of your trip, I'd recommend booking some time away at 20o South!

Room Tip: If travelling from the UK, you'll need a plug adapter, but these are freely provided by the hote...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Michel-Bourgeois, Owner at 20 Degres Sud Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear valuable Guests,
It is indeed with a great pleasure that we noted your glowing review on the 20°South and we are as well so delighted that your stay has been up to your best expectations.
Our heartfelt appreciation goes to your valuable comments, rewarding our constant commitment towards hospitality Excellence and guests satisfaction in order to make you discover the unique magic of Mauritius Island.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our establishment.
Sincerely yours,
Anne and Michel Bourgeois
Owners

Been to 20 Degres Sud Hotel? Share your experiences!