“Peace Haven!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Grand Baie
Beau Bassin - Rose Hill
“Peace Haven!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I went there for our engagement anniversary. We booked a room in the newly built area. It was a nice contemporary room. Quiet and peaceful. This place is just the place to be if you want to take time for you/your couple.

Breakfast: Buffet - Really nice for a 3 star hotel with some basics like breads, toast, fruits, cakes jam, butter, cheese, yogurt, cereales,eggs, bacon, juice, coffee, tea.

Dinner: European and local Cuisine / BBQ as from 19h30. It was good but a bit limited.

Entertainment; It was nice.

Others: The beach is small but quiet and clean. There can be a nice bath and the view on Grand bay is awesome. Staff is nice and discreet. 2 Pools available for the contemporary area and no kids authorised here so very peaceful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Prague RepublicCzech
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Thank you all hotel stuff for making first stay in Mauritius wonderful experience.
Special thanks to:
front desk - Jennifer and Joelle (support before departure / car rental arrangements)
breakfast - two ladies - one for extra good eggs / other for everlasting smile
bar - Gian - sorry if misspelled - for smiling all the time and extra ordinary help
owner - for being good source of Mauritian history (post stamps / railway etc.)

Hotel well located:
private beach - more than you expect
restaurants - within walking distance (La Captaine / Koolan / Italian etc)
shopping mall - 20 mins walk or 5€ by taxi
public beach - within reach / by bus 5mins at 20 Mur

Room Tip: I would recommend to take either room in the Spa location or garden location. All rooms are equipped...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

we have been there last year, we have been good. I suggest every body to go.
The place it's beautiful and the safe too.
very romantic , nice company and very good food.
typical and lovely beach .
We were in the suite in front of the sea, we got the private swimming pool and enjoying aperitif with feet in water. fantastic sensation people.

go there, you not gonna be disappointed

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Amanzimtoti, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

It was my first trip to Mauritius and my expectations of hotels and their amenities were influenced by what one sees on photos and travel brochures. In short, my expectations of this resort were pretty high!

The resort is located just a short way (about 1,5km) out of the charming Grand Baie and, true to its description on Booking.Com, enjoys fabulous views across the Bay. Fortunately, we had rented a small car to enjoy the island properly without having to rely on the limited public transportation on the island or shuttles. We had booked ourselves one of the double rooms with sea view in the new portion of the hotel, which is separated from the main property. To access this part of the resort, however, with numerous baggage items, was a bit of a mission as one has to, literally, walk a couple of metres along the beach to get there. Not too much of a problem for us, but I was wondering about other people (with disabilities, for instance) for whom it may pose some challenges.

The reception area is very friendly but I found the reception staff to be less than friendly. We were not made to feel that welcome and this friendly island. We checked in and were requested to pay a breakage deposit. This was not mentioned on any of my reservation documents but, as it is fairly common throughout the world, I had no problem handing over my credit card for them to charge against. Then, most unexpectantly, the card does not work and I was "demanded" cash, which I did not yet have available on me at that point. We were admitted, nonetheless, and I was made to "promise" to bring the breakage deposit in cash later. I broke that promise as I felt a little ill-treated by the front-of-house gang (but I did have my fingers crossed behind my back at the time of the "promise"!).

We were assigned a fairly spacious and tastefully decorated room with large balcony on the first floor of the new building with superb views over the bay and a charming sandy beach and beautiful pool in front of it. The television had only one watchable channel, CNN, and the other channels were snowy with no proper sound. Our bath did not drain properly as the bath plug was constantly jammed. So, a few things that started to irritate me somewhat.

As ardent water sport fans, we were looking forward to utilise some of the amenties on offer (the hotel boasts "watersports" in its brochure). Well, to my shock and horror, the "watersports" on offer were pitiful. I enquired about a windsurfer; there was none. I enquired about a sailing dinghy or catamaran; there was none. Alongside the "boathouse", there were some paddle skis and a ski boat was moored just off the beach. But, one could only ski or tube on that boat on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 to 12:00. What if conditions for skiing were better at 09:00 or 13:00? Very disappointing!

Breakfast was included in our room rate but nothing to write home about. The choice of items was limited and the service by the restaurant staff was not friendly at all. Very strange for a country that is known to have friendly people. We did not bother to have dinner at the resort and opted for the wide variety of cuisine available in Grand Baie and surroundings.

All in all, an average resort and average holiday experience. Fortunately there are numerous other attractions on the island that made up for the unfortunate experience we had at this resort. We won't be back!

Room Tip: Choose to stay at the new part of the hotel with sea views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
cape town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at Ocean Villas 10 - 17 August 2013. One could really write two reviews for this hotel as their is a very distinctive split between the old and new sections. The new part of the hotel is a little further up the beach and is not only more private but also has new, contemporary rooms and better views and pools. (Rooms 301 to 314). The rooms and gardens in the old part of the hotel appear to be quite run down and personally I wouldn't stay in that section. Staff on the whole were great (even though this has been mentioned as a negative in several reviews). The exception to this is the slightly abrasive elderly couple who seem to manage (possibly own) the hotel. We had breakfast every day which was nice although very repetitive over a week. (The breakfast chefs are particularly warm and friendly though and do their best to make sure you get what you want.) The water sports were a disaster as the boat was broken and no alternative arrangement had been made. They are also very badly equipped (kayaks with broken paddles etc.) This is definitely not the place to stay if you want to play on the bay. You should also know that the hotel is quite far from Grand Baie town. You can walk (we did the first day) but there are no pavements and hectic traffic so it is quite nerve-wracking, much better to take the super-cheap and very reliable local bus which stops right outside the hotel. (Don't bother with taxis as they cost a fortune.) You can also take the bus to the shopping centres or the nearby villages. I'm not sure if we would stay here again but apart from the water sports I thought it was fair value and quite convenient. NB If you are going to Mauritius in winter, definitely stay on the other side of the bay as the prevailing winds hit the Ocean Villas beach head on.

Room Tip: Ask for the new section on the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is really nice and relaxed. We stayed here for a week in July and it was really peaceful with very few guests. The restaurant serves nice food and the beach is really clean and private. We had a self catering villa which was HUGE! Could do with a little updating though, cracked windows, doors which don't shut easily. Overall, nice place to stay with friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is just an average beach hotel. Had a contemporary room and it was clean. Food was good in the Restaurant. Close to many good restaurants in Grand Baie. Staff were friendly and nice. Beach is okay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Villas? Share your experiences!