“Good hotel, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Coin de Mire Attitude
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Royal Road, Cap Malheureux, Grand Baie, Mauritius   |
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Grand Baie
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We just spent 11 nights at this hotel for our honeymoon. Staff were very friendly and always helpful. The pool was very relaxing and the little beach was beautiful! The hotel advertised having their own luxury boat that you can book to go on. I emailed the hotel direct before we left england to gain more info on this and to see if we could book it. They did not reply. When we got their no one mentioned this boat. We later found out that it was not available at the moment. This was the only disappointing thing about the hotel. The food and friendly staff made up for it and we had a great honeymoon.

Room Tip: We had a delux room that came with a lovely sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Quatre Bornes, Plaines Wilhems, Mauritius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Once again I spent a great time wz my family at this cosy cute hotel. Although a basic one, the atmosphere & staff make the difference, specially Sharda who was very accommodating! See you soon & All the best.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Booked and paid for 5 months prior to our hols, this hotel was recommended by the travel agent as 'prob 3-4*+', and at the time of booking was going through a refurb programme. This refurb is still ongoing but discreet. The hotel is a smaller, older one situated in its own well-kept grounds. Bar pool and main pool both great, again daily cleaned and well maintained. Lots of sunbeds around the (always quiet) pool area - beaches proved too attractive to miss! Our (booked) superior room was disappointing on arrival but thanks to Front Office Manager, Sharda Seewoodoyal, an upgrade was quickly organised Thank you Sharda!). The top-floor deluxe room was lovely and offered a beautiful sea view. Quiet beach is accessed by crossing the (busy) road directly outside the hotel. Our new room was exactly as the brochure promised: lovely and clean (both room and balcony cleaned and fresh flowers left on bed every day by a very helpful, pleasant and thorough lady).
We were certainly not disappointed by the holiday; staff could not do enough for you, everyone was more than helpful and did their utmost to make your holiday special. Whilst there we celebrated our wedding anniversary and were brought a 'surprise' cake after dinner, decorated and large enough to share with several other people. And we weren't the only ones: several birthday cakes were presented around the dining room over the week. A very pleasant and much appreciated touch! The spa treatment was heaven, expertly administered by Praveesh, and was honestly the best I've ever had - and at approx £40 for 1.5 hr' treatment, was an absolute bargain! Drinks a little expensive but no more than you would expect in any hotel.

Mauritian highlights were undersea walking (at Belle Mar) and the submarine (blue safari) and obviously snorkelling - the sea is great! Disappointment: the volcano/crater (nothing there!). Hire a taxi for the day to view the island and don't miss the experience of using the local bus - it passes the hotel every 10 mins and is so cheap! A ricketty fun experience if ever there was one!
Overall assessment: great relaxing holiday in a smaller excellent and good value hotel. I would certainly recommend the Coin de Mire.

Room Tip: Upgrade to deluxe rooms - well worth it!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

First off I would say, if you like or are looking for luxury, and are considering this as a honeymoon location for indulging in beachy bliss and quality fresh food – go to the Maldives or further East. We had a nice holiday and Coin de Mire , adored the beach and the sea and met some really nice people, and more or less chilled out as much as we possibly could; but the thing that was running through my mind when thinking about this review is, I’m just glad we didn’t honeymoon there. ..

It’s definately only 3 star, but it’s a good place to chill on a beautiful beach. At the beach there are 2 vendors, one selling towels and one selling boat tours, but they do not hassle tourists and are not unsightly in terms of making the beach look tacky or anything like that, they sit on the steps and go for the soft sell, you will not be interrupted and they also good source of tips for where to get things or what do to. For the sea you will need water/beach shoes, we forgot to pack ours and got some for £6gbp from the beach vendor.

The hotel is pretty, low built, the grounds are well landscaped and maintained, and the pool area is peaceful. Even though the capacity of this hotel must be about 200, it really never felt that way, I don’t know where everyone went but it generally felt peaceful other than at evening dinner service where everyone came to eat. Our room was nice, amazing shower, a little porch with seating (we were ground floor) , and modern décor. Apparently we were upgraded to a deluxe for free, but I think there is a very limited difference between standard and deluxe so doubt its worth paying for. I thought it strange that our bed was 2 singles put together, given that it’s a predominantly couples resort?! The hotel has a yacht that runs regular for day trips out to the island , and it’s a great day, we paid just 16GBP each to go out on it for half day and this included drinks and snacks, the price will go up as the season increases though, but do it , as it’s a great day. You go out in a small group of max 6 I think, with 2 crew, really great. The beach also has kayaks which are great if you want to get into the water but don’t like the swim/snorkekking aspect, again very peaceful and doesn’t take away from the atmosphere of the beach. The also do a drinks service at the beach , bar staff come over and take your order – nice touch.

The bar/entertainment was standard and fine, some music, some local dance nights, a club singer etc - but they did have a magic show one night was just ridiculously bad. As in , cringe-get-me-out-of-here bad.; eating napkins and joining silver rings to The Love Boat theme tune. I kid you not.

The reception and bar staff; all very nice, helpful , focussed on you having a nice time, and in keeping the place tranquil and welcoming. Oddly there were a few guests there who had had accidents either on holiday or before coming on holiday so were in leg casts whist there !, shame but it seemed that the staff went out of their way for them in terms of helping them around etc. There was a wedding there whilst we were there too and you could see a lot of effort going into making it just right.

So on the face of it, it ticks all the boxes as a relaxed and customer friendly resort, but after a few days, the corner cutting/ripping off can be seen, particularly in relation to the food and restaurant. I will preface this section by saying that we are very particular about food, we eat a lot of meat/fish and avoid gluten/starch and take food seriously in health terms. I have an insight into the hotel /industrial catering business so can be pretty sure when stuff is being done on the cheap - which it was - big time.

If you are happy with eating that type of food (rice/pasta/bread) you will probably disagree that it was bad choice, but for us it was a struggle and a let down. I did note to reception (that we would prefer GF options) but it didn’t make any difference, and I couldn’t be bothered creating a fuss and ruing the holiday. We were there AI and I though it was reasonable to expect a 3 star resort on a small island to offer fresh meat and a variety of fresh fish and fruit/veg daily. This is based on experience in other resorts and, I thought, common sense. Not so. It came to light that to avoid gluten/starch here, would have meant eating bbq chicken (thighs - not breast) and beefsteak with shredded carrot/beetroot, every day, twice a day for a fortnight , so we just had to admit defeat and suffer the consequences (a week later and still trying to deflate!).

All the food served is based around rice, pasta , frozen veg , the smallest/cheapest industry meat and marlin fish. We did not see one chicken breast the whole fortnight we were there, nor fresh shellfish (other that the night they were selling langostines and lobster for a supplement), nor slices/carvery of whole joints. Any meat was chicken wings, mince in lasagne, diced into sauces or out of a packet. It really was very poor quality. If you rely on animal protein to get you through the day – you will suffer here!

Breakfast: Served buffet style with waiter service for drinks. We don’t really eat it so only went a couple if times. We preferred to just have a coffee on our porch to start the day. But when we did go; Piles of miniature croissants/pastries, bread and toaster, an egg station, questionable fruit salad and yoghurt with preserves in jars, all of which looked years old, processed sliced cheeses and hams. I think one day there was bacon.

Lunch: Served café style. Menu is based around pasta, rice and sandwiches (I mean really - in the Indian Ocean?!). They have salads on the menu but they are starters. NONE of the meat in the salads was fresh, all processed/packeted. There was 2 meat based options as hot mains/entrees; a bbq chicken on the bone plate with rice, and a steak and chips plate, they were fine, but can’t have the same thing every day for 2 weeks. This is the only time in the day fresh fruit is clearly on offer, on the dessert menu as a fruit platter (“Planation”)_ , segments of banana/apple and if your lucky pineapple. Woopeedoo. The tables are set up for lunch and it was never particularly busy. We actually went to a supermarket one day just to get some fresh produce to give us a feeling that we were getting some nutrients!

Dinner: Service buffet style with waiter service for drinks. If you went later to eat, i.e. after 8pm, service wasn’t great. The staff are rushed off their feet and would often sit you at a table that wasn’t’ set up, then go away to get the set up and forget about you. One day we actually went to the bar to get our own drinks as we had waited so long for someone to come and take our drinks order. Dinner was the worse meal of the day for us, we dreaded it daily. There is nowhere else really to go around the hotel as its self-contained, there’s a small village nearby (taxi ride, not wakable road in the dark), but the few people who did venture there for food said the choice was also limited, plus we had paid upfront for AI. They did have different “themes” in the restaurant, but it was basically the same marlin fish done in a different sauce/spices each night, and rice done a different way, and the same frozen veg cooked with or without seasoning depending on the theme. The salad bar was more or less the same every night, shredded cabbage/carrot/beetroot stacked into huge piles then some lettuce and the obligatory left-over-from-last-night cold rice with things mixed through it and given some international name. No meat on the salad/cold bar. The desserts were awful. Stale mini cakes, tasteless choux pastries, the left over fruit salad from breakfast, questionable jellies and mousses. Really bad. We arranged a waiter service meal for a special occasion when we were there, which we got, and whilst it was a nice change to be served and not have to go to the buffet, the meals were steaks , the same steaks that were used for the lunches, just dressed up, and the starters were the same samosa snacks that were served at lunch and on the boat trip, just stuck in a glass with garnish. I mean come on! We were charged over the odds for this , so unless you think its worth paying 40GBP for waiter for an hour, don’t bother with anything like this. They did give us a cake though.
The Spa: I was ripped off here. I booked a pedicure on departure day, it was to cost the equivalent of approx 25GBP. They girl said to me, do you want a polish, um yes.. a pedicure without a polish..? of course I want a polish. She did the pedicure with me lying down (on my back!) , weird. The finished product was lovely, but then she prepared my bill, and had charged me another 700 rupees for the paint? So the while thing was over 40GBP? Then had the cheek to try to sell me soap and tea-tree oil. I don’t think so matey. It was a bizarre and annoying experience in the spa but, I literally had 3 hours left after I finished so was not fit for an argument or a negative end to the holiday.

So I don’t know, the food just really took the edge of for us, which is a real shame as it so simply fixed. When you are AI in a self contained resort, your day is based around eating times set my the hotel, and every night we dreaded the eating part! I understand the need to keep costs down and use cheap produce to make a profit, and also to serve a range of options to satisfy a varied group of guests, but this was too far.

How can they improve the food, here’s some ideas: Serve proper meat, off the bone, not out a packet, carvery style at night on the buffet, and on the lunch menu as an option with a salad. Provide fresh whole fruit on breakfast and evening buffets. Go down the road to Grand Baie and get some shellfish off the boats, and have a local night service that. Don’t serve rice and marlin everyday. Remember that you are not feeding school children. Get rid of the marlin or limit it to once a week. Etc.

Note: if you book a holiday here on your own, that is not through a standard tour operator , or piece it together through an agent, i.e. transfers etc, just be aware that if your transfers are with “Mauritours”, a rep is going to turn up and try to sell you stuff. We were annoyed by this as 2 mornings in a row she called our room before 9am to tell us she was there to see us. Go away. We didn’t book through a tour operator, but as our transfers were with Mauritours, they take advantage of knowing your hotel and dates and turn up. Not sure if you can request that this doesn’t happen in advance, worth a shot if you cant be bothered dealing with a rep.

Food problems aside, if they fixed this, I really thought that the rest of the resort was fine for the price and the star rating. Not luxury, not tacky, just happily somewhere in between.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here for 11 Days on an all inclusive basis. We had a third floor deluxe apartment.

Our room was cleaned everyday by a cheerful maid. Our mini bar was stocked daily the items on the list marked with an asterisk are free. Beer, soft drinks are free, chocolate, wine and crisps are not. There seemed to be a lot of confusion with other people regarding this.

Fully inclusive means you get 3 meals a day, free drinks. Ice teams are extra.

The restaurant catered for all tastes if you didn't like what was on offer they will gladly cook you something else as they did for us on a couple of occasions as the menu rotates weekly, you do get a bit bored.

The trips offered by the holiday reps are per person and expensive. You can hire a taxi for a whole day and see many attractions for half the cost.

The security guard on the entrance has a set price list for the taxis.

We hired Mohammed for the day for £60 his car was clean comfortable and air conditioned.

Car hire is another option as they drive the same side of the road as the UK but the traffic is quite hectic. Lots of horn beeping involved!

There is a main supermarket to get your supplies if you are not all inclusive (This involves a taxi trip ) although you would be wiser to be all inclusive as there are no decent supermarkets in walking distance of this hotel.

The buses are old and not air conditioned. We decided not to use these for these reasons.

The beach is across the road from the hotel. It's white sand but its a natural beach so had a coral reef and lava stones. It's also used by fishermen. There are nicer beaches to travel to on the island.

There is also a free glass bottom boat trip if you speak to the man by the steps on the beach you can book yourself a trip the following day. It had bad reviews so we didn't bother.

Please check your travel insurance is up to date and valid as 2 women broke their ankles in the same week.

The manageress and staff were always happy to help and cheerful. A couple of the porters were miserable but the majority of the staff were pleasant and kept out glasses full.

I heard a honeymoon couple complaining regarding the hotel and quoting it was not paradise.

White sand. Coloured exotic song birds, palm trees, blue skies and amazing scenery IS paradise.

This hotel is 3 star. It's a very pretty hotel were every effort has been made to make your stay pleasant. If you want a 5 star honeymoon that's what you have to book. Some people would moan no matter where they are or the service provided.

I would be happy to honeymoon in this hotel.

We had an amazing holiday the worse thing about it was the 1.5 hour bus journey from the airport to he hotel. The bus was far too hot.

The evening entertainment needs a review the Sega dancing and disco evening were very good but other times the same old music was played over and over.

There were a few daytime activities such as aquasize lessons in the pool. Which be warned was quite cold in September.

We visited the Hindu Temple which is a must see and the Botanical Gardens. They are well worth a visit.

A good holiday and hotel that we would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

just got back from a lovely 2 weeks holiday,
made to feel most welcome on arrival and check in was all sorted after we had breakfast early morning. The hotel is set in beautiful gardens which are well maintained.

Considering this is a 3* hotel it lived up-to our expectations.
Rooms we stayed in a deluxe and standard room both adequate for our needs and spotless, the drinks are on the expensive side!!! food there was a selection to suit our needs.
Good small beach across the road from the hotel which offer glass bottom boat trips kayaks and pedalos all offered free of charge..
The pools are all clean and well cared for, the staff cant do enough for you thank-you to,Jovany,and all the bar & restaurant staff also Manuella on reception Kubeer the gardener for all his lovely flowers and the final thank-you goes to Sunjay (you are such a lovely gentleman and the handmade card you made me after I had an accident was so lovely. All the staff we dealt with are a real credit to this hotel so friendly and helpful.

Thank-you once again.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms in the 500 block are spacious with sea views however standard rooms are equally as good...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

As we entered the hotel, I was in awe at how beautiful the open air reception area was, it was just lovely and the decor was pretty, the photos I had seen before travelling really didn't do it justice at all, it is much more stunning in reality.

CHECK IN - The hotel offered the best service and check-in experience I have ever had. Our bags were taken for us and we were welcomed by the hotel manager. We were then seated and handed a cool towel and a lovely cold juice cocktail which was very refreshing after the long journey.

SERVICE - The staff work so hard at making the hotel perfect for the guests, and they really have done such a wonderful job. I wish I could, but its impossible to name each individual as every single person went out of their way to make our holiday perfect. They are very helpful and professional, but so friendly and chatty as well. I loved that the staff remembered us personally and actually asked questions about places we were due to visit on the island, they even remembered my birthday when I hadn't even told them about it.
The bar staff were very friendly and laid-back...exactly what you need in a bar like this, they make the atmosphere very relaxing.
The general manager, Ravi was very nice and so friendly. I liked that he was around the hotel, talking to guests as alot of management at other hotels are not very hands-on, Ravi is definitely a wonderful manager and puts the needs of the guests first.
All the staff were amazing and totally in touch with the needs of their guests, nothing is too much for them and it really does make the hotel a wonderful place to stay.

ROOM - We booked a Deluxe room, and were given a free upgrade to a Family room without even having to ask them. This was the best room as it was a lot larger than the deluxe rooms and we had separate sofa's and table area which was nice to have the extra space.
I would recommend the family and deluxe rooms, the superior rooms are on the other side of the hotel and I've heard they are not as nice, but I haven't actually seen them myself.
We were escorted to our room, and there was a beautiful "Happy Anniversary" flower display on the bed, and glasses and a bottle of champagne on ice waiting for us. The hotel even sent up a bottle of wine randomly during our stay, this was so nice and unexpected as they'd already done so much, but this was such a lovely gesture from the hotel.
Every day, there was a different flower or towel decoration on the bed, this was so beautiful and made the room look very pretty.

LOCATION - Perfect location for couples. The hotel is on the north west of the island which is the best location as the centre is a lot cooler, and the south & east can get quite windy. The hotel is approx 10 min drive to Grand Baie, this is a little town with the beach, and local shops. Nearby is Grand Baie La Croisette which is a shopping mall and complex. This has several supermarkets, lots of shops many of which are well know American and European brands. There is also a cinema which shows movies in English at the 6pm screenings, and there are a lot of fast food restaurants including a nandos and KFC, not ideal for fine dining but nice for a lunch.
Port Louis is approx 30-40 min in a taxi, the taxi drivers have set rates and wait in Port Louis for you so you can leave whenever you're ready. It is well worth a visit and the hotel taxi drivers are great.
A lot of reviews have complained about the taxi drivers, I think this is unfounded and inaccurate as the drivers are based at the hotel (all taxi's in Mauritius have the base stated on the side door), so they are always there for people who need them, but they don't bother people who don't need their services.This was actually a great thing for us as they taxi's were completely safe and they have set rates so they won't charge ridiculous rates.
Our driver took us on a full day tour of the south island, this was amazing as it was a private tour for just my husband and I, so we could choose where we wanted to go and how long we wanted to stay at each place. This was the highlight of our trip so ask the drivers about the south tour.

POOL & BEACH - There are 2 pools, one at the bar area and the other just behind it. It does get busy, but not so busy that you can't find a sun lounger, we had no problem even at peak times. The bar staff regularly come over for you to order food/drinks so you don't even need to get up.
The beach is across the road from the hotel, it is literally 3 seconds away from the entrance, you can see it from the balcony in the room. Some reviews have stated that it's a busy road - I assure you, it's not! It is ridiculous if you think this is a problem, if you can walk across a normal quiet road, you would have no problem crossing here. You get maybe one car every 3 to 5 mins, and the security guard actually walks you across if you need help, but really...look both ways and cross, I don't see what the problem is at all.
It is a small beach, but the water is so clear and lovely. There are a few stray dogs on the beach, but they don't bother people and at no point do the come anywhere near the hotel. The beach at Perybere is larger and prettier, this is a short walk away but we took a taxi as there is no pedestrian walkway on part of the road.

SPA & GYM - Lovely little spa which is well decorated with a wide variety of treatments available. We were given a free massage by the reception at check in, this was such a nice touch as we would have used the spa anyway, but it's nice to have this as complimentary.
As you enter, you're seated and offered a cool drink before being taken into the treatment room. The masseuse was amazing, she was clearly very well trained and it was one of the most relaxing massages I've ever had. I would highly recommend having a treatment here.
The gym is really not great, it is small and has very little equipment, and that which is there is old and in poor condition. It's not a major problem as we decided to go running instead, this was a better idea as the views are unbelievable in the morning.

RESTAURANT - Breakfast is good, there is a selection of fruit, cheese, cold meats, rolls, croissants etc, and the warm food selection of sausages, meats, potatoes, freshly cooked eggs. The eggs were good as they were freshly cooked and made exactly to order. The bread was warm and delicious, and they had freshly made pancakes served with honey, syrup or chocolate.
The evening meals are also buffet style, but are good because there is a different theme each night, this ensured there was a wide variety. The tandoori buffet was particularly nice, and the traditional food was very well cooked and had some delightful flavours.
All food is quickly replenished, and is always hot and fresh, and you would never need to wait for anything.
The hotel surprised us and arranged a complimentary special Anniversary dinner for my husband and I, this was so nice and special, we were given an invite, and seated in a large semi-private section just off the main restaurant. The table was stunningly decorated and we had table service with specific waiters allocated to us. We were served a delicious 5 course meal which was perfectly cooked and so nicely presented, each dish was heart shaped and the entire meal was very romantic. The seafood was so fresh and very well cooked, the hotel really does have wonderful chefs.

BAR - Lovely bar area overlooking the pool, in the evening there is live entertainment which is different each night, this is good for the variety so keeps it interesting. The jazz music was particularly good.
The cocktails are not the best, but nice enough and the surroundings and lovely staff make up for it.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe or family room over the older superior rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coin de Mire Attitude? Share your experiences!