“A good tourist hotel with excellent and friendly staff” 3 of 5 stars

Coin de Mire Attitude
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Royal Road, Cap Malheureux, Grand Baie, Mauritius   |
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Grand Baie
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“A good tourist hotel with excellent and friendly staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

A really comfortable and welcoming hotel with eceptionally service orientated and friendly staff. Rooms were clean and comfortable but let down by little things - ran out of shower gel twice and had to ask for our fridge to be turned off as it was too noisy and kept us awake at night. Also road noise woke us up early on a number of mornings. Grounds were well cared for and the pool was great. Food was ok but got a little boring after thr first week and there was little choice or variety for vegetarians. Service could be slow at peak service times and popular dishes ran out too quickly. Entertainment was provided most nights -could be fun depending on taste but on occasions felt very amateurish. The hotel has a beach across the main coast road. The beach is pleasant but we spent our beach days at much better swimming beaches with better facilities - grand baie, mont choisee which are got to by bus, taxi or car

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Amazing place to stay. Friendly service, happy atmosphere and staff second to none. Everyone was helpful and friendly especially Dinah, Walid, Cristina and these are only a few names i can remember, security guards at the front were helpful and friendly also. Room was always spotless with friendly maid service that can not help enough. All inclusive package was definitely the way to go and food delicious. Cant wait to return to this amazing place for future visits for our anniversary. We stayed in room 548 which was further from the pool and bar area and hope to stay in this room again. Across the road at the beach were amazing and friendly people who could not do enough to make your time at the island special.

Room Tip: room 548 for less noise and away from pool and bar area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
H0tels_Management, Ravi Venkanna at Coin de Mire Attitude, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Felicity,

All the Family Members of Coin de Mire Attitude join me in thanking you warmly for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon in Mauritius and for your kind review.

We are delighted to read that the service was up to your expectations and that you did appreciate a lot this ‘once in a lifetime’ stay with us.

All the team is ready to welcome you and your husband for your wedding anniversary,

Wishing you all the best for the future,

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The service I received during my stay here was second to none from the airport pick up and back again. The rooms were beautiful, the views were serine, the facilities were endless and I have to say the spa was tranquil bliss, the food was incredible. The most relaxing holiday I have ever had.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in early August with a friend. We were actually there for a wedding and spent a lot of time out of the hotel. However we both thought it was a wonderful place, well worth more than the 3stars. We had a cold towel and refreshing drink on arrival. The room is basic but well equipped for a stay and kept clean. We had brought a travel kettle and tea bags as other people had mentioned this being charged for, but in the end we had plenty at breakfast and didn't send hardly anytime in our room. We stayed half board and spent most of the nights out at the celebrations, however when we were there, the food was lovely and changed each night. Good selection of different meals and the holiday cakes. Breakfast was also good with a range of cereals, fruit, juices and a chef making omelettes and eggs on request. We saw the entertainment a few times and it was good fun if you want to get involved or just be an observer.
The communal areas are all open so you get a sense of what is going on but also have your own privacy. The staff were very helpful and it made the holiday much more comfortable as you felt that they would go out of their way to cater to your needs and make your stay enjoyable.
The beach is lovely and you can turn left out of the hotel and walk around 15 mins to an Evan nicer beach. There are buses that go to Grand Baie where there are restaurants and lots of shops.
We did not do much sightseeing as we were being entertained in peoples homes which made our time more special. We would love to come back and really see the island. We would definitely stay at Coin de Mire again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We wish to thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us.

Thank you also for your nice words towards our staff, the Family Members. Those have been shared with all at the hotel.

We are happy that you appreciated the customized service and professionalism – as well as our selection of cakes (our Chef wishes to convey his greetings).

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again, next time you visit our island,

Best regards,

Luton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Me and my husband showed up to the hotel at 9pm at night and were told that there was no room for us and that we were being moved to a sister hotel (even though we called the hotel 3 days before we travelled and they didn't mention it!), we were then moved to a hotel in the middle of no where and although the new hotel was a higher rating it was a french concept hotel, everything was written in french down to the aircon instructions and food menus, as I dont speak french I tried to ask the staff to help but again they were french and couldnt understand us. The first night at that hotel I was in tears and again the next morning led to tears so I was moved back to the Coin de Mire.

The Coin de Mire is a lovely hotel and the staff are amazing, especially Christina, Jean Phillipe, Dinah, Baden, Jayraj, manjoo and Vilma our maid. They couldn't do enough to help you and were just genuinely friendly.

The grounds are lovely and well maintained. The food was nice but not amazing, at busy times the restaurant couldn't cope with the amount of people.

The beach across the road was lovely and the free facilities are really good! The Hotel is well placed and you are a 2 minute bus ride away from a supermarket and another beach.

The evening entertainment was absolutely awful and I went to bed early to avoid it, this really needs to be addressed!

I did enjoy my holiday but there are some things that need to be looked at to improve it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
H0tels_Management, Ravi Venkanna at Coin de Mire Attitude, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Celine,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on your stay at Coin de Mire Attitude.

We are really delighted to read that the service was up to your expectations and the Family Members mentioned in your review were really pleased to have helped make your stay more agreeable.

We take good note of your comment regarding entertainment. This will be discussed during our weekly meeting.

We also would like to apologize once again regarding your first night with us and we regret that your experience at our sister hotel located a few kilometers away from Coin de Mire Attitude was not the one expected.

We would be pleased to welcoming you again in our ‘home’,

Best regards,

St Helens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I arrived at hotel and as requested prior to my arrival they put me away from pool and restaurants. Only problem was noise from dogs at back of hotel. When I asked to be moved to a quiter location they accomodated me.

I did not have mobile charger and the receptionist took my mobile home and fully charged it, that is the level of service you can expect from all the staff, above and beyond.

The watersports are brilliant and the guys at the beach even got me into kayaking and accompanied me on the pedalos as I was on my own.

The quality and service levels is far above the ratings given. The beach is across the road which is not a bother and the staff always help you to cross the road. The bus stops are just outside the hotel run regularly and cheap, with no language difficulties on getting to your destination.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get an upgraded room, they also have views of the beach. Definatly go for all...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Pembroke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have just returned from the most wonderful family holiday to Mauritius, staying at the Coin de Mire Attitude. Simply put, this hotel exceeded out expectations because of it's staff, it's management and it's setting.

If you want a small, quiet, friendly, attentive and very personal hotel then this is the one to choose.

Location. The location is fantastic and suited our needs perfectly. The site is compact and incredibly well arranged, so you have no lengthy walks to get anywhere and always feel that you are in a secluded corner of lush tropical garden. The beach is perfect and is exactly what you would expect from an indian ocean island. Though small we never once struggled to find a spare lounger. All beaches in Mauritius are public, so this has a real village feel, with local boats moored alongside the hotel boats, people fishing and snorkelling and kids swimming or playing on pedallos. Very calm, peaceful and friendly. The road is not a problem - its an island and its small, so people have to get around somehow! It is a single lane road and the lovely security guys always see you across safely - even if there is no traffic around.

Food. We stayed all inclusive and ate all of our meals apart form a couple of snacks at the hotel. The food was really great, with a buffet style menu each evening that followed a main theme (Mauritian, Indian, Italian, Chinese, Chef and CDM, for example). Our children were able to order chicken or burgers when they wanted, so there was no pressure for them to eat anything they didn't want. The breakfasts were fantastic, with an egg chef always present to make your preference of omelette etc. Fresh fruit salad, yoghurts, cereals, breads, cheese etc.

Rooms. Our room was always spotlessly clean and was modern, open plan and had a nice balcony. We had asked to have a room away from the bar area just in case it was a noisy hotel (which it most definitely isn't) and had 524, which is on the reception side of the hotel. This was great for us and we had 14 lovely nights of undisturbed sleep.

Activities. Jean-Phillipe was there every day to organise activities if people wanted to take part and offered everything from a 30 minute beach walk to Perre-Beyre (definitely do this as it will help you settle in, discover just how beautiful this place is and get oriented), aqua gym, tennis and sega dancing etc. There is a tennis court on site and a small fitness room with cycle trainers, elliptical, dumbbells, static weight machine etc (its basic, but I used it everyday and never had to wait for equipment). Important note for runners. If you need to road-run then turn right out of the hotel and head north. The road is small and quiet going this way as you are heading away from the main tourist villages etc and will be able to run on the road as long as you take care. You'll also see some beautiful parts of the island. A run from the hotel to the other side of Grande Gaube on this road out and back is a half marathon. There is intermittent pavement and the edges of the road often just drop away a few inches. Careful with the traffic as there are few runners around and scooter drivers/local cars might assume you'll hop off the road to let them pass. I did 3 10K and two half marathon training runs on this road and had no problems.

Staff. The people are what made this hotel so special; they were simply great and always, always attentive to your requests, needs and questions. I hate listing names because I just know I am going to miss some people out, but I have to on this occasion because of the very special experience the team made this holiday.

Our Virgin rep (Kurt) told the hotel it was our 20th anniversary this month and they made our chosen day very special. It started at breakfast when we noticed that the flower display prepared each morning on the way to the restaurant had our initials in two hearts, then Koobeer brought my wife a lovely flower arrangement he had made himself from the flowers in the garden. Next we bumped into Sanjay who gave us the most wonderfully personal card, with a lovely message that included our childrens names as well as ours and was beautifully worded. In the afternoon Koobeer brought my wife and my daughter some more flowers as we had a drink by the pool. When we went back to our room in the afternoon it had been beautifully decorated with flowers and towels arrangements (I think Shela did this as she was looking after our room during our stay) - we took loads of photos as the room was amazing, I have included one in our review. Finally, at dinner, we were given a lovely cake at the end of our meal to end what had been a really wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary.

Within a few days of being there all of the staff seemed to know where we preferred to sit, what we preferred to drink and what the children wanted etc. So, I must list some names, and please please forgive me if you work at the CDM and don't see your name here (particularly as we didn't get a couple of the names for staff at the evening meals who were just fantastic at sorting out food for the children). Special thanks to (amongst others) Sanjay, Ally, Ashley, Manuella, Giana, Christina, Danny, Shela, Manjoo, Jean-Phillipe and Koobeer. Also to the lovely lady who on the last 3 evening meals made sure that we actually ordered different meals for the children as she could see they wanted them and didn't want us to feel embarrassed for asking - I didn't get your name, but thank you.

We very nearly spent a lot more money to book an 'upmarket, larger' hotel on the island - thank goodness we didn't. This is not a budget or value hotel - it is a lovely, special hotel that happens to cost a lot less than you would expect.

Stay here if you want a quiet, relaxed, personal and memorable holiday. Stay all-inclusive.

Would we book it again? Definitely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar/pool if you go to bed early or sleep light - none of the entertainm...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

All the Family Members of Coin de Mire Attitude join me in thanking you warmly for your very nice review on our hotel.

It’s really a pleasure to read that the little attentions and professional service of our team members helped make your stay in Mauritius one to remember.

We hope to see you and your family again soon at Coin de Mire Attitude.

Warm regards,

Ravi Venkanna

Been to Coin de Mire Attitude? Share your experiences!