We had an overall good experience at the Merville beach hotel ....hotel staff is very nice and professional! Nice welcome and smiley faces at reception, efficient f&b, good housekeeping! ....Also at the spa staff. The building itself is not outstanding but one must keep in mind this is a three star - superior. This applies to the rooms too. Bathrooms need updating. However the hotel is set on a pretty beach and has many rooms with ocean views. Nice garden.
We stayed at the Merville for 6 nights and we had a different themed buffet all the night ...I am not usually a buffet fan but found this quite exciting ......the food was very good. There is evening entertainment but it is a bit sloppy and most people go back to their rooms by 9.30pm - 10pm. On Saturday evening there is an option to dine on the beach and have a lobster fest. The layout and dinner where great ....however it was nearly spoiled for us by all the rushing of the service staff! ...Empty plates where removed from under us while still munching our last bite and the next place instantly served .....this is not a good way of service during a Saturday night dinner on the beach! We had a four course meal in an hour or so! And while we where eating our last course all the decor was being taken down in front of us, candles blown off and tables and chairs carried in....before 10pm!! Every respectable place in my country does not even dream of doing such thing! What a pity! I don't know about the rest of the world but Europeans like to spend at least 3 hours over a dinner like that. I understand it was Saturday night and the young staff are looking forward to go party in Gran Baie but its a shame!
My husband and I went for a full body massage at the spa. The decor itself is noting special but all the rest was very nice .... very nice staff, very good massage. Value for money.
We highly appreciated the free calls to home Merville offers each guest! Thumbs up for this Merville! Thank You! Other hotels should take example of this!
We also loved the free water sports activities offered!
So till now I should have given Merville a higher rating .....but I cannot since some good things are balanced out with other negative ones.
There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room....you can call and have a tray delivered to your room.....but than you are charged for every single little packet of coffee, tea or milk that you use!
The charge on laundry is phenomenal!
Beverages at buffet expensive for this standard of hotel.
The cocktails at the bar are mediocre and expensive ...... this always dampens our holiday :).
So to conclude, I believe that if you are looking for a hotel to use as a base for your
travels around the north of the island, Merville is a good option. If you are wanting a hotel to stay in and spend plenty of time in, I will suggest looking around before booking Merville.
- Also Known As:
- Merville Beach Grand Baie
- Merville Beach
- Hotel Merville Beach
- Merville Beach Hotel Mauritius
- Merville Beach Mauritius
- Merville Beach Hotel Mauritius/Grand Baie
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Merville Beach Hotel is situated on the north-west corner of Mauritius in Grand Baie, 20 minutes from the capital , Port Louis.All 221 rooms are in the 2 wings stretching from the main building in a slightly elevated position overlooking the bay. All rooms have a magnificent sea view. Direct dialing telephones, Radio, TV-video, Mini-bar, Safe Deposit box, Hair Dryer and Private Bathroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Tingo, Orbitz, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Merville Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.