We recently spent a week at The Shandrani Resort and Spa in Mauritius. I was almost certain that it would meet up to the same level of quality of it's sister hotel, Sainte Anne in the Seychelles. Shandrani is part of the Beachcomber portfol
io of resorts, and having said this, you can be guaranteed exceptional service and quality for your rand. Needs of hotels and services change as you get kids, and this was a vast difference to the Hilton that we stayed at over 9 years ago!
I decided to post my review of the hotel and it's facilities to better give readers a broader idea of what to expect. After chatting to a friend, we both agreed that looking for a hotel to meet up to your expectation is like rocket-science. I probably looked at over 10 hotels before narrowing it down to 3, and finally deciding on Shandrani based entirely on it being an 'all-inclusive' hotel.
Our travel agent advised us to rather take the SAA flight, as the times were easier on the kids (returning late evening instead of early morning). Upon arrival, a Mautourco representative transfers you to the hotel which is a short 10-15 minute drive away in a combi.
Upon arrival at Shandrani, you are welcomed with this green, coconut drink which they later call the 'welcome drink'. You can order it from the bar, or during meal-times. It has a soft, islandy-like feel and taste about it, I was totally hooked and sad to have only discovered that it could be ordered much later on i our stay.
Rooms are available immediately after you arrive.
We opted for the newly refurbished Deluxe sea-facing rooms (on the first floor, initial request for was ground, but I was glad to have gotten the first floor as the view of the beach was nicer). These rooms are also very close to the main reception and dining area and a quick walk to the wellness centre and spa.
The room was large, almost 70 sqm with the following features:
- a large extra length king-size bed
- a single bed for our son, further away from the main bed
- a wooden cot for our daughter in a seperate area to that of the sleeping area
- a walk in closest with an ironing board and iron
- a seperate toilet
- a large bathroom with his and hers basins, a bathtub and - a shower with the raindance shower-head
- hotel amenities like showergel, shampoo, lotions, showercaps, earbuds, etc
- a customised minibar (you choose what you want from the selection and it is replaced daily. everything in the minibar is complementary)
- a balcony with a 2 seater wicker table and chair along with a foot stool
- a large wall-mounted LCD tv which swivels
- beach towels are replaced daily, and you can use them during your stay
- tea and coffee station concealed for safety
- the room is incredibly spacious and provides exceptional house-keeping facilities
Meals are served the ENTIRE day.
Breakfast is at a choice of 2 restaurants, snacks at the main reception bar and pool/beach side carts with daily sandwiches, salads and drinks move through the beach and pool areas the entire day. Lunch and dinner are served at all 5 restaurants. Afternoon snacks with the crepe station from 3-5pm at the main reception dining area. All drinks, including tea, coffee, iced coffee, waters and soft drinks are complementary during the entire stay. Make your dinner reservations the day after you arrive as the restaurants get full at night. If you have kids, 2 of the dining areas are restricted to kids over 15 years old.
Each adult guest receives one complementary spa voucher for a 45 minute massage which must be redeemed within 3 days of your stay. There are 3 areas to the Clarins spa facility, which deals with different treatments. The menu is available in your room and I would suggest doing more than just your complementary treatment during your stay. The therapists are incredibly helpful and both my husband and i were treated to Clarins samples before we left.
There is a sports centre with cardio machines and other gym equipment. The hotel offers early morning walks and jogs, along with aqua aerobics almost every morning. There is a board up with the days activities, including evening live entertainment (the kids were most fascinated by the different coloured lights!)
A list of the freebies are listed here:
(FREE tennis, golf and scuba lessons! Included are all water activities)
The hotel is especially child-friendly, with there being different levels of pools available for their safety. There is the mini-club which has daily craft and outdoor activites for kids. If you are comfortable with leaving them for the day in the help of child-minders, the services are exceptional.
The little shop on site was fully stocked, nothing was left out (including tweezers!) with a large rack of South African magazines in case you forgot to pack your own.
The only negative I experienced during the entire stay was the sound of the airplanes overhead twice a day. Its not unbearable but can distract from the peace.
The staff are exceptionally helpful, and go out of their way when you have kids with you.
Bring down your beach towels and reserve your pool-side or beach lounger by placing it on the chair before breakfast.
Enjoy a drink late afternoon on the private beach on the other side of the island under the gorgeous private thatches. You really feel like it's something out of the movies!
Don't forget to pack armbands, rings and other swimming aids for little kids as the shop is quite expensive.
Pizza and vegetarian meals are separate, including the egg grill. Expect indian veg curries with hot tandoori naan everyday!
If it's a fully inclusive holiday you're looking for, where you don't have to worry about signing for bills and worrying about the cost of meals and drinks, Shandrani offers just that. Be sure to budget for tips (100 Rupees is equiv to R30)
I hope this could be of some assistance to those wanting to plan a holiday to Mauritius.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Escapio, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Beachcomber Shandrani Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shandrani Hotel Blue Bay
- Shandrani Hotel Mauritius
- Shandrani Blue Bay
- Beachcomber Shandrani Resort & Spa Mauritius/Blue Bay