“Honeymoon In Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Turtle Bay, Terre Rouge, Balaclava, Mauritius   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Balaclava
“Honeymoon In Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We spent a week and a half of our Honeymoon at the Maritim, Like most we spent hours reading reviews and looking at pictures trying to find the perfect hotel, I am pleased to say all the hours paid off the Maritim was the perfect destination for our Honeymoon everything was perfect from the moment we stepped foot in the reception until the day we left. on arrival we were given ice cold drinks and a cold cloth (perfect after a long flight) as honeymooners we were upgraded to a suite (Which was amazing) All the staff are very polite and could not do enough for us.

The Spa is very relaxing and the treatments were very very good especially the full body massage, My only complaint would be that the Spa pool was cold but this is personal preference.

All the restaurants are very good but a couple of highlights would be La Maree on the beach we had lunch and dinner here both were perfect, Again as honeymooners we were given a voucher for the Chateau (Fine Dinning) by far my favourite meal of the honeymoon the food was fantastic the service was great and restaurant is lovely. I know a lot of the reviews say the food in the main restaurant gets a little boring if you stay more than a week I can understand why they would say that as every Monday is the same and every Tuesday etc but there is plenty of choice and the quality is very good.

If you have time and are feeling romantic the magic moments are worth looking into we had an evening meal with our own private waiter over looking Turtle Bay to mark our one week of marriage, The food was very good and our waiter made the evening just perfect on our return to the room the bed had rose petals on a very nice and personal touch.

There are plenty of activities such as water skiing, Pedalows, snorkelling which are all free to keep you amused and the staff who run them are all really friendly and very helpful.

Our overall experience was fantastic I can't recommend the hotel highly enough we would return again tomorrow if given the option.

Room Tip: Book an upgrade it is totally worth it, Close to the Le Maree if possible for great views of the bay
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Hotel Mauritius, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for the beautifully worded review for us on this forum.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your honeymoon and it met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

1,856 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Firstly a bit of advice: put a change of clothes & toiletries (under the obligatory 100ml) in your hand luggage so you are not going through your luggage in the middle of the reception area!
We were aware we would be arriving before the "check in" time so requested & paid for (Hayes Jarvis) early check in. We landed at 7.30am, after a 3 hour drive, 3 hour check in, 12 & 1/2 hour flight, 2 1/2 hour immigration/transfer we arrived at the hotel at 10am. We were given a glass of orange juice & a cold wash cloth & seated, 5 minutes later another couple (who we'd never met before) were seated opposite us. A "customer/guest services" very young woman sat with us & told us that our rooms would not be ready until after 3pm!! I immediately told her about the arrangement via Hayes Jarvis & coincidentally the other couple had requested early check in. I may as well have spoken to her in Swahili she just reiterated the same thing I asked her to check but she said "her records were correct" she then asked for my address fir the registration form, I said "I'll complete it" (as I have done in every hotel I've stopped in in the last 30 years) she said she had to do it. I said "I'm not happy with telling my details (phone number, email address, residential address etc..) in front of complete strangers (the couple opposite)the man also said the same (no disrespect but have they heard of the data protection act?). Once again she insisted she had to complete the registration forms!! We relented. She then started on about credits for this restaurant, credits for the others she had turned away to face the man of the other couple at this point, I asked her "to speak a little louder as I'm hard of hearing & I couldn't lip read her as she was turned away from me" she carried on in the same manner.( Consequently we had to enquire the following day about the restaurants from another member of staff. ) She then started on about arrivals/departure room, day pass. All of our luggage had been whisked away into a luggage room whilst we were being ushered into the reception area. I suggest if you've booked here you supervise the removal of your luggage from the transfer mini bus as we later encountered a problem with our luggage.
We then had to take out the necessary items for a 5 hour wait in the middle of the reception area. We were shown the arrival/departure room, it is not what you'd expect, no views of the ocean or beach area, a brick wall with sky lights over seen by the most abrupt, obnoxious member of staff I met here, no smile or greetings, she didn't even respond when the gentleman from the other couple said "good morning" she just left the room. I tried to speak to her, general greetings, hello etc during our stay but after several times I gave up. At 3.30pm we finally were given the key to our room.
The Prestige room was clean & the bed comfortable, the shower was temperamental, the lighting dreadful, very rarely do you find a light above a mirror in the bedroom area but it was very dark. The cleaner was great & we gave her several tips to show our gratitude.
We visited all but 1 of the restaurants.
The Chateau Mon Desir: meant to be a la carte, couldn't get our room number correct after 4 times & the service not up to Michelin standards. We went fir the "lobster & truffle" evening & I said to my Husband I thought the lobster was frozen not fresh as it was chewy & tasteless. A driver who we hired confirmed this.
The Belle Vue: the food is repeated so if you're there a fortnight as we were then you'll get the same menu week 2. There were problems at several times of day with seating as tables are reserved for larger parties therefore reducing the restaurant capacity even if those guests aren't eating there. There was a group of 30 during our stay & at breakfast/lunch/dinner the tables were arranged & on more than one occasion remained vacant throughout our dinning time.We tried visiting at 7.30pm & earlier but were turned away even though we could see tables set for 4 people empty.
The La Maree breakfast for guests in Prestige rooms was a nice relaxing breakfast, no queuing it's from a menu selection. Dinner was ok but we ordered "seafood platters" half the langoustines were missing ie: only the tail part served, the waiter must have reiterated a dozen times it wasn't part of the all inclusive package...yes we're not imbeciles.
The Quarter Deck bar offers standard snack which are good.
We visited the Mauritian restaurant with the couple we'd met on arrival, the food & service was very good.
Staff : mostly very friendly & appreciate a decent tip. Devan in the Belle Vue is a credit to this hotel.
We went "Walking with Lions" an amazing experience, visited the Chamarel waterfall & Hindu temple. We went on the hotels glass bottomed boat but we were appalled at the boat crew feeding the fish bread to encourage them to come closer to the boat!!
We requested a late check out room but were refused "hotel at capacity". So a further 6 & 1/2 hour wait.
Finally, the Summertimes representative for Hayes Jarvis "Pascal". Incompetent, unprofessional & only interested in booking trips. There isn't any reps board or folder so you don't know when he'll be in attendance you have to ring Summertimes. He doesn't pass messages on to head office & it's the only time I've had to ring to find out our transfer time.
We flew Air Mauritius business class & the flight crew were amazing, both ways & couldn't do enough for passengers.
I've noticed that only negative comments get a response from the manage, which is a shame as all guests should be acknowledged.
We were very disappointed by certain aspects of this hotel & it's the attention to detail which is missing.
The beach is spotless, but we encountered a vagrant man begging us for money twice, the hawkers aren't a problem a simple "no thank you" they will pass you by although I think I bought from everyone because I enjoy the bartering :-)
A guest highly recommended the Hilton at Flic en Flac & from experience the Oberoi hotel chain are outstanding.
I cannot understand how this hotel gets repeated 5*'s but we met guests who've been here over 10 times (it's a BIG wide world people) .
Mauritius is a lovely country with beautiful scenery.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

I have the regret to read that your recent experience at MARITIM Hotel Mauritius does not reflect the level of service that has made our fantastic reputation.

I would be happy to discuss the matter with you and would be pleased to hear from you on our telephone number +230 204 1000 or by email on info.mau@maritim.com.

At MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, our main concerns are to exceed guest’s expectations and we are always open to suggestions for continuous improvement in our day-to-day operations.

Again, kindly rest assured that we are taking all necessary measures to address the issues with the view to further improve our services.

Yours Truly,
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

The Maritim Hotel was excellent,the staff were brilliant and every aspect of the resort was clean and tidy.
The only tiny bug bare was the flies around the pool and strangely not around the food areas which was great.
If you decide to do excursions i would advise that you do so through local tour operators as we found(and other hotel guests)that with Virgin they were very expensive and locally they could be a third of the price for the same standard.
The staff were amazing,very friendly and helpful,always smiling and saying "Hello"you get the odd crumpy employee but that happens everywhere you go.
All in all it was the perfect winter getaway : )

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

The entire team is glad that you consider the hotel and your stay as brilliant in every way.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Yours truly,
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Rooms - beautifully clean and well furnished. Bathroom was spotless with plenty of towels, slippers, dressing gown etc We had room 102 which was perfect for access to the beach and La Maree restaurant.

Restaurants - can be quite confusing what is included in the 'all inclusive' basically you can eat anytime at the buffet restaurant and evenings at La Maree if you book in advance. You an only have the set menu at La Maree in the all inclusive. All other restaurants are to be paid for, you do get a credit if you're all inclusive however. We got the gourmet voucher which was approx £60 and that allowed us 3 visits to the themed restaurants. Well worth it, we used it for 'steak night' at La Maree, Banyan which is Asian themed and the Creole restaurant with is typical family Mauritian dining. All the food we had during the visit was of a very high standard from all the restaurants. We also visited the Chateau mon desir for the wie and dine night, this was a 5 course taking menu with wine. Absolutely delicious and I have written a separate review on that.

Staff - absolutely outstanding! Nothing is too much trouble, the pool staff, bar staff, restaurant daff are all so hard working and so friendly. They have guest communication staff who wander around and see if there is anything that needs improvement. I had a lot of bad mosquito bites and Kavita arranged for me to see the in house nurse to try and help. Aurelie who is head guest comms was also fantastic, we had a bit trouble with the deep sea fishing trip and she sorted it out straight away. Do not hesitate to ask her for help, she is brilliant.

Bars - there are 2 bars, one at La Maree and the other by the pool. Both have a vast selection of
drinks which are included in th all inclusive, you can pay for certain things but I doubt you'd need to. You cannot have alcoholic drinks other than beer at the pool or beach.

Beach/pool - beach is lovely, beautiful waters to swim in and good service from the waiters. There's also a beach/pool menu for snacks which is great. The sunbeds are hard to get ahold of, the hotel does profess to have a fair useage policy but I don't really think this is in force. Many days we couldn't get a bed around the pool which is a shame. There are aome nice double sunbeds in the raised up area of the pool with are nice if you can get them.

Activities - Yves was great for doing the activities with, he teaches archery and does the kayak tours. Top guy who is loads if fun, friendly and enthusiastic. I did the water skiing, archery and horse riding (which had a
supplement). We also did a bike tour (£10 each) of the surrounding area, which was great to see the real Mauritius.

Tours - We did 2 tours both arranged at the boathouse at the hotel. First the deep sea fishing which was a bit confusing for the price. Basically the boat is 18,000 rupees for the boat and then that gets split amongst the number of parties on board. We paid 9,000 and were told there would be one other couple on board, which was fine. When we turned up there were 2 other couples which made the price 6,000 each. We found it very difficult to get the 3,000 extra we paid back. The staff didn't really seem to care and kept putting us off speaking to the guy that booked it. This is when I spoke to Aurelie in guest comms who promptly got us the money back. Beware if being over charged!!!! Secondly we did the catamaran trip which was 3,500 list price. Many people only paid 2,500 for this trip so make sure you barter for a better price!!! That trip was great though, well worth the money.

All in all this holiday was fantastic! If you are flying with BAni highly recommend getting the early check in as we ended up sleeping on the beach for 6 hours after arriving waiting for the room. Not the end of the world. They so have a shower room and lockers so it can freshen up which is nice.

The last day of our trip we hired a car for €50 which allowed us to visit the south, the driving is very easy as they drive on the same side as the uk and everyone drives very sensibly. A great way to see the island. I would recommend visiting the South, Chamarel and the national parks. Grand Basin, black gorge and Seven coloured sands are very pretty.

I would definitely return to this hotel as I cannot think of anything that could be improved! I recommend it to anyone :)

• Stayed December 2013
Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

Thank you for the beautifully worded and warm review for us on this forum.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and it met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Addlestone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed two weeks at the Maritim, and I could not praise this Hotel enough, we have stayed in many Hotels around the world and I think the staff at this hotel were by far the friendliest and most obliging we have come across, nothing was too much trouble.

If like us you arrive there at 9 am, like most hotels the rooms will not be ready, however they have a great little arrivals / departures room, which is equipped with large lockers 3 or 4 showers TV and comfy seating, so remember to pack some beach wear in your hand luggage, to save having to unpack a large suitcase, the restaurant was still open for breakfast and we were told we could use it from when we arrived, the same with drinks around the Hotel. I could not see why a couple of people were complaining there rooms were not ready as the hotel has a high occupancy rate, there is only so much they can do, but it doesn't matter where you go some people will find something to complain about.

The main restaurant (Buffet style) always had a good selection of food on, there was always spicy food, a roast option, plenty of salad and fresh food, we certainly had no complaints even after 2 weeks we managed to try different things.

There is a gourmet option available from the other restaurants on site, you can get a set meal in the beach restaurant on the all inclusive package, but you must book in advance (very popular), if you want to dine A la Carte you get a reduction from bill if you have already paid for all inclusive, or you can buy a 3 restaurant pass for A la Carte, prices are in the hotel reception.

The rooms were superb, we were in room 334 on the first floor up from the ground, very quiet and a lovely view, room is cleaned every day, and they turn back the beds every night, everything was spotless. There is a safe and mini bar in the room and tea and coffee facilities. The mini bar is free for basic items, beer, wine, water (not Perrier), soft drinks coke etc on the all inclusive.

The main bar right on the sea front all open a lovely place to watch some beautiful sunsets nearly every evening. The restaurant on the beach La Maree also has a bar and tables on the beach and from Monday to Saturday at 9 pm they light a fire on the beach in a fire pit, again somewhere nice to sit and chill out.

The evening entertainment is very limited to local musicians / acts there is usually someone playing a guitar or singing in one of the bars, just soothing background music, which we enjoyed as we had not gone there for lavish shows we just wanted a quiet relaxing holiday which we certainly got.

There are free pedalos, kayaks, snorkelling equipment and a glass bottom boat trip twice a day. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the snorkelling, and after talking to other people there they said the Maldives was better for snorkelling.

As the title of this review says, I don't think we have ever stayed in a hotel where the staff were so warm, friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble for any one of them, some of the bar staff and waiters were real characters and made our stay very enjoyably. We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you consider the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘Brilliant!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your warm feedback.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

Yours sincerely,

Lancing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Great room, great service, great staff. Good food and what a choice. No need for anyone to hungry or thirsty here. Staff were so friendly and helpful, impossible to pick out anyone in particular, just so many. Spent a bit of time on the beach, even got my next cold beer as I finished my my last, and without asking!
A very good choice this one.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Hotel Mauritius, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor!

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and it met all your expectations.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back on the MARITIM estate for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Had a wonderful time at The Maritim 27 Nov – 6 Dec. Having read reviews before booking, they were the most consistently good reports we’d encountered – and we can see why. The standard of everything is excellent and, as has been said so many times, the staff are so friendly and helpful. Many thanks to them all. Also, we really appreciated the quality of the watersports equipment. We would return without any hesitation after a holiday to remember!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay among us!

Yours sincerely,

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Been to Maritim Hotel Mauritius? Share your experiences!