“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Turtle Bay, Balaclava, Mauritius   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have travelled extensively and I must say that The Maritim is one of the best hotels and holidays we have had. Working full time it usually takes us most of the first week to chill out. At the Maritim this took a couple of hours, from the check in, which is the most welcoming we have ever had through to the check out, everything at this hotel was perfect.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Czech first
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I decided to stay at the Maritim on a business trip in spite of having an average holiday stay there last year. I thought that the fact that I made a complaint about the noise in our room last year and writing a tripadvisor review about the noise (Excellent hotel but noisy) I would get a decent room when I returned but was unfortunately wrong as I was given exactly the same as last year!!!! The next day I asked for another room and had a second déjà-vu as they showed me an identical room to what they showed us last year when we complained as well. This room is overlooking the roof of the main building, all the TV satellite dishes and has noisy air conditioning units next to the balcony, so like last year not acceptable and I stayed in the room I had been given. The noise level is a lot worse than last year and unlike last year very randomly during the day as well. The noise is very loud music not from the hotel itself but a neighbouring hotel and a bar. During the day I assume it is when they are having aerobics/Sumba classes and seem to be mid-morning and late afternoon but not always. Also at time you hear very loud music for 1-2 minutes or so and then it stops, a bit like a kid playing with a stereo. However in the evening it starts bang-on time at 10pm and finishes way after midnight. During the week the music was loud but on the Friday it got even louder and on Saturday the volume went up to 11! On the Saturday the thumping techno noise from the bar and hotel made you would think that you were staying at a 18-30 holiday hotel in Magaluf not a 5 star hotel in Mauritius! I had to buy some earplugs from a pharmacy in order to get some sleep and I am sorry this is not acceptable from a resort hotel. To add to my misery a family moved into the neighbouring rooms and decided to have their social gatherings outside my door. Luckily they left for dinner at around 8pm which gave me some quiet hours before the 10pm disco started!
I was staying in a privilege room which is their cheapest rooms and I think that is where my problem lies. Having now seen the standard of three of these rooms I must conclude that they are nothing like a room in other five star hotels I have stayed. In my room the bathroom was old, the water pressure rubbish, dated decor, the bathroom mirror lights only worked sporadically and you had to put up with the above noise. I am sure if you stayed in the next category up rooms you would not have these issues. You could then say I got what I paid for BUT I do think that at a five star hotel all rooms must be of a five star standard even the cheapest else it is not a five star hotel. This is not the case at Mairitim. I think the last drop came when I could not get a paid late check-out (not guaranteed I know) which I am very rarely denied and disappointing that they could not even do this!
In regards to the rest of the hotel then the beach is the real selling point of the hotel. The pool is ok but a bit too shallow for my taste. Some staff are good and some less so and twice they cleared my table in the restaurant when I had not finished, something which I rarely get at hotels. Drinks are very expensive at the restaurant and bar if you are not on the all-inclusive. I thought the buffet was good but the food a bit bland but I guess that is normally when they cater to mainly western guests.
Due to the noise I will not return to the Maritim and regret giving it another chance and I was there on a business trip not on holiday.

Room Tip: Do not go for the privilege room but opt for the next category up. Citron Wing is closest to the nig...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Have just returned from a two week stay at the Maritim with our friends. This has got to be one of the best hotels we have stayed at. From the moment you arrive the staff could not do enough for you. Everybody was extremely helpful, friendly and smiley. The food and restaurants were excellent. The La Maree was an excellent restaurant with its spectacular setting, good food and lovely staff. The rep Michaela in resort was definitely one of the best reps we have had. She made good recommendations on trips etc and we had a lovely day with a driver who took us to a number of places which took up the whole day. The weather was slightly inclement as we were at the end of a cyclone hitting Madagascar but it certainly wan't anything that would spoil your holiday.
I would certainly recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation in returning in the future.
To anyone who has booked to go I am sure you will have a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: We upgraded our room to a Privilage room. All rooms appeared to have a sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Maritim, a lovely hotel, very friendly staff ( 1 or 2 exceptions ), good food, nice beach ( a bit harsh on the feet on occasion, would recommend plastic shoes ), bar and pool very good. Snorkelling OK, may be time of the year. Beach service very good.
Very humid and maybe they could fit some stronger fans in the bar and restaurants as it was uncomfortable in the evenings. ( don't take too much notice of weather forecasts on the internet, we were warned of 2 weeks rain, we had some, but generally weather glorious )
We did suffer stomach problems though, not sure whether food at Hotel or on excusrsions .
All in all we would certainly recommend this Hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Porthleven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at The Maritim for 10 days with Virgin Holidays and enjoyed it very much. The 1 hour coach journey from the airport in the southeast of the island to Balaclava in the northwest was not too bad and the arrival at the hotel was very nice, being met with a cold face towel. The general briefing from the hotel staff, telling us of the discounts we could find at the various restaurants could have been done better by using a printout, but otherwise the check-in procedure was professional. We had been given an upgrade, which gave us a room on the ground floor, opening directly onto the lawns and from there to the beach and the room could not be faulted. Throughout our stay the staff were all very pleasant and helpful; in particular we found La Maree, the Beach Bar and Restaurant, to be the best spot for both food and drink, and where we were always well looked after, particularly by Yashley. I would concur with a point made by another reviewer: the staff do not monitor the 'reserving' of sunbeds by those who would not return to them for several hours. The main restaurant served a good variety of food, but we found the Chateau Mon Desir, which is not owned by Le Maritim but operates within its grounds, to be pretentious and overly expensive for the meal and wine. The cheapest bottle of wine was approximately £33 and was a wine commonly seen at Tesco for less than £8.99, and the meal was not worth the high cost. However, we did not allow this one black mark to spoil what was, in all other respects, a lovely holiday in a hotel we would be glad to return to.

Room Tip: A ground floor room allows direct access to the lawns and on to the beach
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Balcombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I have recently returned from an all inclusive holiday staying at the Maritim.
I endorse everything others guests have said. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special. The rooms are fantastic, the food is superb (wherever you eat), and the service is top class.
It far exceeded our expectations and we would definitely recommend the Maritim.

JAB West Sussex

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have just returned from the Maritim and can truly say was one of the best holidays we have had. We have travelled to alot of places in Europe, Africa and The Caribbean and this was in our top 2 hoidays.

The beautiful setting and grounds takes your breath away when you arrive tierd and hot. I dont understand how anyone could write any negative comments about the hotel or staff. They went out of their way to make it a holiday to remember and I must admit to shedding some tears when we left :(

We stayed in a Prestige Room 429 on the top floor overlooking the gardens and sea and it was a lovely room.

Top tips - book La Maree the minute you arrive, beautiful restaurant on the beach and if you have a Prestige Room you can have a fantastic champagne breakfast. Its the best breakfast we have ever had and the some of the best meals and special thanks to Vicky for his attentive and 1st class service and making it a special experience.

Mon Desir is a must and if you book a gourmet pass at reception you can drink and eat from the Gourmet menu for about £40 a couple. A real bargain and the food was fantastic. Sebastian was the waiter there and again 1st class.

The cocktails on quarter deck and fab and all the waiters where attentive and you wernt with an empty glass for long. Special thanks to Vikash and Ashven :)

Around the pool look out for Rajesh who again was professional but friendly and always had a smile for us.

The hotel has a superb policy of having guest relations who mingle with the guests frequently for any comments or to find out if there is anything they can do. We have never experienced this before and Kiveta was a wonder and had a special hug from me because of her making the holiday so special. She truly is a little gem and Manoj the front desk manager also was great.

We hired a car and explored the island. La Casela (animal and adventure park) is a must and we did Segway (my husband fell off 3 times lol and was most put out as i didnt once) and Quad bikes. We have done quads before in Egypt across the desert and thought nothing could beat that, but the surroundings and animals made it one of our best days. You can also do ziplines, canyoning and walking with lions. Really worth a visit and you can spend as little or as much as you want, depending on what activities you do.

Also a must is Aux Les Cerfs, beautiful islands of the East Coast. We drove to the little town opposite and then got a speed boat over as my husband gets sea sick and then it only took us 10 minutes by boat. Again beautiful.

We did the usual Pamplemousses gardens and the Black River Gorge, The Hindu Temple and The North but the best was the Islands and La Casela.

Driving is on our side of the road and very easy and we found our way around with a map no problem. The hire of the car (Nissan Micra) was 100 euros for 2 days and we only spend £18 on petrol for those 2 days. The speed boat was £60. A taxi driver will charge you about £75 a day to take you out.

I would recommend this hotel as a must. Friendly, clean, beautiful, good value for money and good food. The Spa is fantastic and you can just wander in to have a look and use the facilites. We played mini golf, croquet and my husband did the water skiing and we had a pedalo. All for free!

Just a word of warning, dont leave chocs out in the room because we then adopted a Gecko who had a liking for After Eights lol.

The Maritim is one of a small handful of hotels we would return to again and again. FANTASTIC HOLIDAY

Steve & Cath Budd

Room Tip: Prestige newly decorated room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!