“Idylic and Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
“Idylic and Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed here in October for 1 week on our honeymoon after being in Dubai.

The rooms are lovely, clean and comfortable with all modern furnishings and the bathroom is very big and clean. Our balcony was facing the ocean over looking the gardens.

The gardens are well manicured and there are plenty of loungers on the beach and around the pools. The main pool has its own bar, where you can swim up and also get various bars foods/snacks.

The other pool is heated, which was lovely on the cloudy days.

The spa was really nice and had the usual sauna/steam and jacuzzi. We had a couples back massage which was great.

All the staff are very helpful and friendly. Great wifi in the main area of the hotel. Great entertainment with various different themed nights.

We upgraded from half board to all inclusive when we arrived, which was a great. Lots of cocktails available and varied selection on the all inclusive.

The hotel has its own water sports, you can water ski, pedalo, canoe, windsurf, snorkel etc. Again the team who run this are very friendly and you can also scuba at a price. They have their own glass bottom boat.

The best thing about this hotel for us has to be the restaurants and the food. You have senso which tends to be the buffet and breakfast restaurant, with a very side selection and different themed nights. You then have an Indian restaurant which the food is beautiful and even better again, it if is possible, the Asian restaurant was just unreal, the quality and taste of the food was delicious. Then also have a further restaurant which was more seafood based and you can also get breakfast here, which were both equally as nice. As stated before you can also get snacks at the pool bar.

All in all a great week away, great staff, great food, great setting. As we had such a busy time in Dubai we did nothing but relax at the Intercontinental. We had one day out where we got a taxi and spent the day at the grand baie, which was lovely.

The hotel is approx an hour from the airport and costs approx 2,000 rupees each way.

Thank you to Shane and the team for an enjoyable and unforgettable stay, special thanks to the bar staff Ravi, Anoop, Arvin and Swadesh.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Jenjackie,

Thank you for such a wonderful review!
We are happy to note that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and we shall definitely convey your complimentary comments to Ravi, Anoop, Arvin and Swadesh and the rest of the team.
We would be delighted to welcome you back at InterContinental Mauritius Balaclava. Please do not hesitate to contact us and we shall help you plan your next vacation with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
bangalore ,india
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We( Husband, myself and 2 5 year old twin boys) stayed at Intercontinental resort from 12th Nov through to 15th Nov 2013. This was out first real family holiday outside of India and I was bit worried having to very active boys to keep busy.
The 2 bedroom family room was really so welcoming- big,comfy with big stand alone tub that was immediately popular with the kids. They could watch TV while having a bath as there was one fitted in bathroom.The staff were the best - ever so sweet and particularly very child friendly. They have a rather rocky beach but its safe for kids to swim/play in the lagoon with slippers/flip flops so no worries there. The kids enjoyed the outdoor heated pool too. The staff in the main dining area were just amazing and Rosie even took my son to the basthroom to wash the food off his face after his breakfast while I was finishing mine.
Only one incident that was somehow irritating for me was that although they have a bright big kids club the two girls at the front did not seem too welcoming or keen to know my kids nor wanted to be disturbed much. They also were very fast to put anything the boys touched back in its place and it seemed they were more interested to just keep the place looking clean all the time. On the second day we discovered they had some dvds so my sons and another 2 kids enjoyed watching a car racing movie- MQqueen. My boys wanted to see it again a day later but the girl from previous day wasnt there and although play area was practically empty other than a 2 year old playing with some toys along with her parents the girl ( geraldine ) was very unhappy about putting DVD for my boys. I requested thrice and pointed out that noone was watching TV/DVD but she said as kids watched to much TV at home it was their policy to discourage them to do so on holiday. But why even have DVDs or TVs than in Kids area. She finally agreed but said she wouldnt do so another time. I didnt have time to check with the hotel about their polices about this but want to say - please atleast let kids be free to walk around, enjoy ad relax in the kids club. Its meant for them so dont have so many difficult andf tiresome rules !!!

On the whole loved the hotel and would love to go back again

Anu Chawla
Bangalore, India

Room Tip: We loved the 2 bedroom family rooms for young familes
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Anu C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
We are sorry that your experience in the Kids Club did not live up to your expectations, but we are pleased to learn that all other aspects of your stay went well.
Your complimentary comments about our staff in general, and about Rosy in particular, will be passed on.
It would be our greatest pleasure to welcome you back to InterContinental Mauritius Resort. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly; we would be delighted to assist you in planning your next vacation with us.
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Me and my wife were guests at Intercontinental hotel(Balaclava, Mauritius) from Oct23-Nov 8, 2013. I am very disappointed with the way we were treated the day we checked out on Nov 8, 2013. The manager on duty was Jonathan Ballaram. We waited for almost an hour and a half in the lobby because the front desk gentleman(Arun) needed to verify my payment that was already made online long time ago. I had to go online on my laptop to show Arun that the payment was made a while back and I had to even show him my bank statement that $1,425(for 7 nights) was taken out of my account as a payment for the hotel. He still did not get it. I explained to Arun that the only payment I had to make was for the 2 nights that we stayed there because we were suppose to check out on the 6th but we decided to stay for another 2 days. Having me and my wife in the lobby for an hour and a half was uncalled for especially after I had stated to Arun that my wife had a flight to catch and she had to be at the airport at 1400. The front desk manager, Joenathan did not help that much either to explain or to resolve the situation other than to tell me this"there has been a misunderstanding between our Accounts department and the front office" (whatever, that is not my fault, you should have figured this out earlier).I had to approach Joenathan to find out what the problem was, he did not even come to us to explain the situation.(word of advice)'Next time, as a manager you need to inform the guests about the problem before they end up coming to you. That shows professionalism and caring to the guests' Arun just told us to have a sit and he will be back with us shortly(Hour 1/2) The only thing that Joenathan did was to get someone to bring our rental car to the front. I spent almost $5000 in that hotel including the wedding package and this is how me and my wife have to remember our trip to Mauritius? My wife almost missed her flight because of Arun who wanted to so- called verify a payment that was already made online long time ago. Did not even bother to apologize for inconvenience that he caused. Now.. had my wife missed her flight, was Intercontinental going to pay the fees for re-booking another flight? I don't think so. I am very disappointed with the way Arun and Joenathan handled the situation that was uncalled for. If this is how your staff is trained to treat guests, that is a straight U rating or a one on the scale of 1 to 10..one being the worst. As a matter of fact it is the worst treatment I have ever received in a hotel out of all the places I have traveled around the world.
Joenathan did respond to the email that I sent to the hotel, but I wonder if the general manager, Mr. Franck is aware of this situation because I never got any feedback from him and he was not CCed on the email.Good leaders/managers would respond to ensure the customer that they are aware of the situation and hopefully they can do something about it.Instead I get a response from someone who failed me in the first place, someone I have no faith in(well I found out that most of their employees are inexperienced-not well trained at all. I did some research and it seem like the hotel has been having similar problems for a while(going back as far as 2009). It seem like the management team is doing nothing about it, I guess as long as know that they will continue to get guests who don't really do some research before they come over, I am one of them, but I will not do that again.Most hotels are successful because they have guests who desire and are happy to return to the hotel because of the standards of the hotel and the way they are treated by the hotel staff.
I will end this on a good note..Many thanks to Jessica Lindor, the wedding co-ordinator, she did a great job on putting everything together for our wedding. Keep up the good work!

Tip...Do some extensive research before you choose this hotel. I should have done it before I chose to stay there. If you are coming from places like North America. I would not recommend this hotel,It might not be up to the standards that you are used to. Instead I would recommend Le Touessrok Resort which is located on the east of the Island. I have stayed there before, I had a great time and I liked the hotel and the staff is well-trained,professional at all times and very friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Mike T,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered over the unsatisfactory service you received from our staff. Please be assured that we treat this issue seriously as this will be acted upon immediately. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

great location,very good variety in food especially for vegetarians,they have Indian special nights too where you can enjoy indian foods....every alternate day functions are there to enjoy,only problem-you will feel little mosquitos around better to have a mosquito repellant with you hotel being on the beach may be the reason,very help full staff,surely would like to visit again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear maxxyy11,
Thank you for your kind comments.
We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have taken good note about your suggestion with regards to mosquito repellants.
We would be delighted to welcome you back at InterContinental Mauritius Balaclava. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly; we would be delighted to assist you in planning your next vacation with us.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

A beautiful, spacious contemporary hotel with very friendly, attentive staff. Everywhere seemed calm and peaceful because of the airy spaciousness. Always lots of free sun-loungers and umbrellas on the beach and never more than 4 or 5 people in the pool. Great long narrow pool for those want to do more serious swimming! Excellent food from the Head Chef, Deviraj, in the Senso Restaurant, also good Indian cuisine in Veda. Nobel House and Segala food rather disappointing. Generally all staff were so friendly, helpful and would go out of their way to do their best. Could not say 'Thank You' enough to Lobeen at the Senso Restaurant, who made our stay so special! We loved listening to Charlen's beautiful voice during evening entertainments. And Neel in Client Relations was unflappable with our various requests and questions. With 2 day trips out, a day hiring a car, a day hiring bicycles and lots of relaxation, there was enough to do to keep us occupied for 2 weeks. I just wish I'd made more use of the free water-skiing while I was there as I only did it right at the end of the holiday! Downsides were that there was no Courtesy Bus to take you into Port Louis and the hotel was rather remote, so nothing of interest nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anita P,
Thank you for such a fantastic review!
We are pleased to note that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and we shall make sure that Chef Deviraj, Lobeen, Charlene and Neel know that you appreciated their services.
We have taken good note of your suggestion about courtesy bus shuttle service to Port Louis.
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Nice Location, Nice Customer Service.
Rooms were comfortable and had a great view of the ocean.
We had book Ocean View room and got upgraded to Ocean Deluxe upon arrival.
As for the restaurants, the only one I did not appreciate was the one with the Chinese cuisine, the manager denied us even though we had made reservations as a big tour group was coming.
Apart from that nice stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Aks512,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
We are sorry for the inconveniences you faced in our Asian Restaurant and you can rest assured that we shall take the necessary corrective measures.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the InterContinental Mauritius Balaclava for your next vacation.
Stokenchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here for 9 nights all inc. for our honeymoon and all in all had a great time.

PROS - the hotel itself is very nice and our room was lovely no complaints other than trees blocking the view of the ocean but we were never in the room so wasn't a problem.
The staff were all amazing to us and so friendly and always said hi and went out thier way to make you feel at home, especially Vinesh at the bar was a lovely lad who looked after us.
The pool is amazing and at night we would go and use the other pool which is heated and it would just be the 2 of us most of the time which was nice.
We went out snorkelling a few times which was amazing and saw eels and a turtle amongst other colourful fish.
We had a couple of massages in the spa which was amazing and they were really good at a relatively good price.
In regards to the cleaning , the rooms were always kept clean and they even came to turn room down in evening if wanted.
The food was great and we ate in the senso buffet a lot and there is plenty of choice especially curry which for me was great! Also the other restaraunts were of good standard and i cant fault any of the food.
The guys all made nice cocktails and being all inc was definatley ideal as these were all covered as was the food.

Cons.
Unfortunately the talk about the flies is true and they were irritating during the day by the pool and parts of the beach near the main pool especially if i was eating lunch! There aren't thousands but enough to be annoying but some people didn't seem fazed by them.
I feel this could easily be resolved with a bit of thought.
The biggest letdown was the beach which i did know about before i left after reading reviews but it was really stony and I couldn't walk on it barefoot, plus you cant really venture out into the water because it is enclosed in.

Other than these few points we had an amazing time and loved it there especially a day excursion we took to the most beautiful place, an island off the east coast called Il aux cerfs via a catamaran which was well worth it with good food cooked for us and some snorkelling involved aswell, a must do if go to mauritius.

Room Tip: depending on budget i would recommend all inc. as you wont leave the resort too often with it being...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear tinostoken87,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and we shall definitely convey your compliments to Vinesh and the rest of the team.
We have taken good note of your comments on the flies and on the beach and you can rest assured that we shall do all that is needed to improve things.

Been to InterContinental Resort Mauritius? Share your experiences!