Me and my wife were guests at Intercontinental hotel(Balaclava, Mauritius) from Oct23-Nov 8, 2013. I am very disappointed with the way we were treated the day we checked out on Nov 8, 2013. The manager on duty was Jonathan Ballaram. We waited for almost an hour and a half in the lobby because the front desk gentleman(Arun) needed to verify my payment that was already made online long time ago. I had to go online on my laptop to show Arun that the payment was made a while back and I had to even show him my bank statement that $1,425(for 7 nights) was taken out of my account as a payment for the hotel. He still did not get it. I explained to Arun that the only payment I had to make was for the 2 nights that we stayed there because we were suppose to check out on the 6th but we decided to stay for another 2 days. Having me and my wife in the lobby for an hour and a half was uncalled for especially after I had stated to Arun that my wife had a flight to catch and she had to be at the airport at 1400. The front desk manager, Joenathan did not help that much either to explain or to resolve the situation other than to tell me this"there has been a misunderstanding between our Accounts department and the front office" (whatever, that is not my fault, you should have figured this out earlier).I had to approach Joenathan to find out what the problem was, he did not even come to us to explain the situation.(word of advice)'Next time, as a manager you need to inform the guests about the problem before they end up coming to you. That shows professionalism and caring to the guests' Arun just told us to have a sit and he will be back with us shortly(Hour 1/2) The only thing that Joenathan did was to get someone to bring our rental car to the front. I spent almost $5000 in that hotel including the wedding package and this is how me and my wife have to remember our trip to Mauritius? My wife almost missed her flight because of Arun who wanted to so- called verify a payment that was already made online long time ago. Did not even bother to apologize for inconvenience that he caused. Now.. had my wife missed her flight, was Intercontinental going to pay the fees for re-booking another flight? I don't think so. I am very disappointed with the way Arun and Joenathan handled the situation that was uncalled for. If this is how your staff is trained to treat guests, that is a straight U rating or a one on the scale of 1 to 10..one being the worst. As a matter of fact it is the worst treatment I have ever received in a hotel out of all the places I have traveled around the world.
Joenathan did respond to the email that I sent to the hotel, but I wonder if the general manager, Mr. Franck is aware of this situation because I never got any feedback from him and he was not CCed on the email.Good leaders/managers would respond to ensure the customer that they are aware of the situation and hopefully they can do something about it.Instead I get a response from someone who failed me in the first place, someone I have no faith in(well I found out that most of their employees are inexperienced-not well trained at all. I did some research and it seem like the hotel has been having similar problems for a while(going back as far as 2009). It seem like the management team is doing nothing about it, I guess as long as know that they will continue to get guests who don't really do some research before they come over, I am one of them, but I will not do that again.Most hotels are successful because they have guests who desire and are happy to return to the hotel because of the standards of the hotel and the way they are treated by the hotel staff.
I will end this on a good note..Many thanks to Jessica Lindor, the wedding co-ordinator, she did a great job on putting everything together for our wedding. Keep up the good work!
Tip...Do some extensive research before you choose this hotel. I should have done it before I chose to stay there. If you are coming from places like North America. I would not recommend this hotel,It might not be up to the standards that you are used to. Instead I would recommend Le Touessrok Resort which is located on the east of the Island. I have stayed there before, I had a great time and I liked the hotel and the staff is well-trained,professional at all times and very friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your InterContinental Resort Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava
- InterContinental Resort Mauritius Balaclava