“Very Disgusted/dissatisfied/disappointed Guests‏” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Very Disgusted/dissatisfied/disappointed Guests‏”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Me and my wife were guests at Intercontinental hotel(Balaclava, Mauritius) from Oct23-Nov 8, 2013. I am very disappointed with the way we were treated the day we checked out on Nov 8, 2013. The manager on duty was Jonathan Ballaram. We waited for almost an hour and a half in the lobby because the front desk gentleman(Arun) needed to verify my payment that was already made online long time ago. I had to go online on my laptop to show Arun that the payment was made a while back and I had to even show him my bank statement that $1,425(for 7 nights) was taken out of my account as a payment for the hotel. He still did not get it. I explained to Arun that the only payment I had to make was for the 2 nights that we stayed there because we were suppose to check out on the 6th but we decided to stay for another 2 days. Having me and my wife in the lobby for an hour and a half was uncalled for especially after I had stated to Arun that my wife had a flight to catch and she had to be at the airport at 1400. The front desk manager, Joenathan did not help that much either to explain or to resolve the situation other than to tell me this"there has been a misunderstanding between our Accounts department and the front office" (whatever, that is not my fault, you should have figured this out earlier).I had to approach Joenathan to find out what the problem was, he did not even come to us to explain the situation.(word of advice)'Next time, as a manager you need to inform the guests about the problem before they end up coming to you. That shows professionalism and caring to the guests' Arun just told us to have a sit and he will be back with us shortly(Hour 1/2) The only thing that Joenathan did was to get someone to bring our rental car to the front. I spent almost $5000 in that hotel including the wedding package and this is how me and my wife have to remember our trip to Mauritius? My wife almost missed her flight because of Arun who wanted to so- called verify a payment that was already made online long time ago. Did not even bother to apologize for inconvenience that he caused. Now.. had my wife missed her flight, was Intercontinental going to pay the fees for re-booking another flight? I don't think so. I am very disappointed with the way Arun and Joenathan handled the situation that was uncalled for. If this is how your staff is trained to treat guests, that is a straight U rating or a one on the scale of 1 to 10..one being the worst. As a matter of fact it is the worst treatment I have ever received in a hotel out of all the places I have traveled around the world.
Joenathan did respond to the email that I sent to the hotel, but I wonder if the general manager, Mr. Franck is aware of this situation because I never got any feedback from him and he was not CCed on the email.Good leaders/managers would respond to ensure the customer that they are aware of the situation and hopefully they can do something about it.Instead I get a response from someone who failed me in the first place, someone I have no faith in(well I found out that most of their employees are inexperienced-not well trained at all. I did some research and it seem like the hotel has been having similar problems for a while(going back as far as 2009). It seem like the management team is doing nothing about it, I guess as long as know that they will continue to get guests who don't really do some research before they come over, I am one of them, but I will not do that again.Most hotels are successful because they have guests who desire and are happy to return to the hotel because of the standards of the hotel and the way they are treated by the hotel staff.
I will end this on a good note..Many thanks to Jessica Lindor, the wedding co-ordinator, she did a great job on putting everything together for our wedding. Keep up the good work!

Tip...Do some extensive research before you choose this hotel. I should have done it before I chose to stay there. If you are coming from places like North America. I would not recommend this hotel,It might not be up to the standards that you are used to. Instead I would recommend Le Touessrok Resort which is located on the east of the Island. I have stayed there before, I had a great time and I liked the hotel and the staff is well-trained,professional at all times and very friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Mike T,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered over the unsatisfactory service you received from our staff. Please be assured that we treat this issue seriously as this will be acted upon immediately. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

great location,very good variety in food especially for vegetarians,they have Indian special nights too where you can enjoy indian foods....every alternate day functions are there to enjoy,only problem-you will feel little mosquitos around better to have a mosquito repellant with you hotel being on the beach may be the reason,very help full staff,surely would like to visit again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear maxxyy11,
Thank you for your kind comments.
We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we have taken good note about your suggestion with regards to mosquito repellants.
We would be delighted to welcome you back at InterContinental Mauritius Balaclava. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly; we would be delighted to assist you in planning your next vacation with us.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

A beautiful, spacious contemporary hotel with very friendly, attentive staff. Everywhere seemed calm and peaceful because of the airy spaciousness. Always lots of free sun-loungers and umbrellas on the beach and never more than 4 or 5 people in the pool. Great long narrow pool for those want to do more serious swimming! Excellent food from the Head Chef, Deviraj, in the Senso Restaurant, also good Indian cuisine in Veda. Nobel House and Segala food rather disappointing. Generally all staff were so friendly, helpful and would go out of their way to do their best. Could not say 'Thank You' enough to Lobeen at the Senso Restaurant, who made our stay so special! We loved listening to Charlen's beautiful voice during evening entertainments. And Neel in Client Relations was unflappable with our various requests and questions. With 2 day trips out, a day hiring a car, a day hiring bicycles and lots of relaxation, there was enough to do to keep us occupied for 2 weeks. I just wish I'd made more use of the free water-skiing while I was there as I only did it right at the end of the holiday! Downsides were that there was no Courtesy Bus to take you into Port Louis and the hotel was rather remote, so nothing of interest nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anita P,
Thank you for such a fantastic review!
We are pleased to note that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and we shall make sure that Chef Deviraj, Lobeen, Charlene and Neel know that you appreciated their services.
We have taken good note of your suggestion about courtesy bus shuttle service to Port Louis.
We would be delighted to welcome you back at InterContinental Mauritius Balaclava. Please do not hesitate to contact us and we shall help you plan your next vacation with us.
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Nice Location, Nice Customer Service.
Rooms were comfortable and had a great view of the ocean.
We had book Ocean View room and got upgraded to Ocean Deluxe upon arrival.
As for the restaurants, the only one I did not appreciate was the one with the Chinese cuisine, the manager denied us even though we had made reservations as a big tour group was coming.
Apart from that nice stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Aks512,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
We are sorry for the inconveniences you faced in our Asian Restaurant and you can rest assured that we shall take the necessary corrective measures.
We look forward to welcoming you back at the InterContinental Mauritius Balaclava for your next vacation.
Stokenchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here for 9 nights all inc. for our honeymoon and all in all had a great time.

PROS - the hotel itself is very nice and our room was lovely no complaints other than trees blocking the view of the ocean but we were never in the room so wasn't a problem.
The staff were all amazing to us and so friendly and always said hi and went out thier way to make you feel at home, especially Vinesh at the bar was a lovely lad who looked after us.
The pool is amazing and at night we would go and use the other pool which is heated and it would just be the 2 of us most of the time which was nice.
We went out snorkelling a few times which was amazing and saw eels and a turtle amongst other colourful fish.
We had a couple of massages in the spa which was amazing and they were really good at a relatively good price.
In regards to the cleaning , the rooms were always kept clean and they even came to turn room down in evening if wanted.
The food was great and we ate in the senso buffet a lot and there is plenty of choice especially curry which for me was great! Also the other restaraunts were of good standard and i cant fault any of the food.
The guys all made nice cocktails and being all inc was definatley ideal as these were all covered as was the food.

Cons.
Unfortunately the talk about the flies is true and they were irritating during the day by the pool and parts of the beach near the main pool especially if i was eating lunch! There aren't thousands but enough to be annoying but some people didn't seem fazed by them.
I feel this could easily be resolved with a bit of thought.
The biggest letdown was the beach which i did know about before i left after reading reviews but it was really stony and I couldn't walk on it barefoot, plus you cant really venture out into the water because it is enclosed in.

Other than these few points we had an amazing time and loved it there especially a day excursion we took to the most beautiful place, an island off the east coast called Il aux cerfs via a catamaran which was well worth it with good food cooked for us and some snorkelling involved aswell, a must do if go to mauritius.

Room Tip: depending on budget i would recommend all inc. as you wont leave the resort too often with it being...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear tinostoken87,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and we shall definitely convey your compliments to Vinesh and the rest of the team.
We have taken good note of your comments on the flies and on the beach and you can rest assured that we shall do all that is needed to improve things.
Lisbon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Hello
Have not actually been to this hotel yet. However I am planning an AI holiday here for early December and am very worried about choosing this hotel vs other in the area due to some of the negative comments. Mainly :

- Flies
. Lack of cleanness to the rooms
- and the fact that the rooms may be smell and have damp problems.
Would love to hear from you
Thanking you in advance

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Franck S, General Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear inez99,

Thank you for considering InterContinental Mauritius Resort for your next holidays.
Indeed, there have been some flies issues but that was a passing problem and it was not specifically located at our hotel. All the hotels in the region underwent the same problem. This issue has been now sorted out by regular pest control.
As regards to the comments about the room cleanliness and room dampness, we wish to reassure you that it was a one-off comment that you read and you can trust us to ensure that you enjoy the vacation of a lifetime with us!.
We hope to get the opportunity to pamper you for your future holidays in our property.
Ranchi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

beautiful property, well appointed rooms, fantastic ambience, good spread of food/restaurants, uber cool beach front etc...
poor reception, average service, low response levels..staff behaviour and hospitality was not appreciated, room service was disappointing...

Room Tip: go for the terrace jacuzzi room...its awesome
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear infinitesaurabh,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your observations concerning InterContinental Mauritius Resort.
Your feedback will be passed on to the respective departments and you can rest assured that we will take the necessary measures to improve our service delivery to live up to our guests’ expectations.
We hope to welcome you soon in our hotel for your future holidays.

Been to InterContinental Resort Mauritius? Share your experiences!