Spent 10 nights here for our honeymoon. Loved every minute of it!
We paid for extra for an ocean facing jacuzzi room. My advise here is all the rooms are ocean facing and for what we paid for the jacuzzi, it probably wasn't worth it as it was quite small and a lot of the time full of ants so not really usable. The room itself was lovely, a little bit tired in places but perfectly comfortable nonetheless and we were lucky enough to have a perfect view of the sunset.
We stayed on the all inclusive package and thoroughly enjoyed all the restaurants and bars. The best restaurant in our opinion was Veda, gorgeous indian food. Segala and Noble are also both good but we found the set menus a bit bland. The buffet restaurant Senso was generally very good, mountains of choice and particularly good on Mauritian night. There's a choice of 2 restaurants for breakfast, we went in Senso most days as there is a lot of choice.
Slight problems with flies and sparrows during the day time, especially at breakfast in senso where sparrows are flying about everywhere. Being a hot country of course there's not much that can be done about this however it is a bit off putting to begin with when you see a sparrow pooping on the table next to you when you are trying to eat breakfast.
The hotel are not very forthcoming in telling you the activities that you can do from the hotel. We popped along to the boat house on the second day and they advised us of all the activities. They say you can do snorkelling, watreskiing and various other watersports for free however most days for one reason or another these activities weren't available.
We paid to go on the dolphin tour and an island tour which were both good. We booked through hotel although had plenty of offers through the quite annoying beach hawkers. The hotel prices were actually cheaper than the hawkers so be careful not to get sucked in to any 'discounted rates' they tell you about. We also went on the blue safari subscooter which was a bit naff for the money and a bit weird!
So to summarise the plus points- great food and drinks, gorgeous setting and great atmosphere, great entertainment especially the band on mauritian night. Friendly staff, nice pools and facilities.
Negative points- flies, sparrows, beach isn't the best and sun beds a bit dirty.
Overall great honeymoon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your InterContinental Resort Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava
- InterContinental Resort Mauritius Balaclava