To be clear from the start, i don't like big resorts. But given that mauritius is full of them (there isn't a lot else) we thought we should give it a try. We picked this place based on the reviews and the fact that it was considerably cheaper than most other equivalent places. We stayed for one night, b&b. Overall it was a positive experience and excellent value for money.
First, the positives. Our room was excellent. Very large, modern and luxurious. Seating area with large tv, tv in bathroom, weird egg-shaped bath and separate shower, fab towel sculpture, welcome fruit platter, balcony with sea view. Free water sports - i tried waterskiing and did some snorkelling. Breakfast was truly impressive - absolutely massive buffet with every possible thing you can think of and lots more besides. Although the beach isn't as good as some other places they have made the best of what they've got and created a little lagoon for swimming/ snorkelling. Nice rocky area facing the sea where there are crabs and weird jumping fish living on the rocks.
Now the not-so-positives. It took ages to check in and staff didn't seem to be entirely on top of things. We only ate lunch at the hotel, in the poolside restaurant; the food wasn't great; also lots of flies around. The hotel is huge so it takes quite a long time to walk from your room to reception. There are a few signs of wear on the buildings fabric (but not in our room).
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava
- InterContinental Resort Mauritius Balaclava
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Venere, Fareportal and Otel so you can book your InterContinental Resort Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.