Its been our honeymoon and we arrived at the hotel around 9pm. We had to still wait for our room to be "prepared". When we entered the room it looked quite modern and welcoming, unfortunately the termites were busy munching the pedestals and near the place i had to sleep. The rooms have a damp wooden smell. I asked for the manager on duty, and The receptionists were very very helpful thank you, the Assistant front office manager came in as the manager was not in. He )was the most foolish mis appointed ignorant arrogant man i have ever come across. I demanded being upgraded to a decent room and he kept insisting that i wait for 2 hours. My new bride and i were exhausted and i could strangle this man, he was rude and kept harping about other things while completely ignoring the questions and requests we had. I asked for his name and with arrogance he came and dropped of a little note with his name and mobile number, NOREETH SEETHORAM, FRONT OFFICE MANAGER - mobile (430)4968199. I just want to thank him for total disregard to guest hospitality. We camped the night out in our little jungle room where none of our requests were taken care of, besides the king bed, no upper level room nothing. I guess it was a HUGE disappointed and change of standards having just returned from a stay at Intercontinental Kuala Lumpur which was the best stay so far!
The next morning i made it a point to personally see the manager as my honeymoon was spoilt, we were on the verge of cancelling the remaining 5 days and heading back home. The French manager was awesome, understanding and heRd us out and asked how he could make our stay better. He upgraded us to the upper level grand Suites or whatever they called at a difference of about $500 for all the nights which was negotiable. Absolutely fantastic! Best room I have stayed in the entire honeymoon, huge bathroom, lounge, entertainment area, 3 sun decks, outdoor shower and jacuzzi. My wife wasn't considering leaving me after all:-P.
Hotel is an awesome island style hotel, beaches are nice but the sand isn't soft, lots of stones in the man made beach around the hotel, food is quite good, loved the indian restaurant upon entering the hotel. Hotel is overpriced, a bottle of coke costs about 10 times more than just outside the hotels boundaries. The Spa is welcoming, went for a couples massage on the beach, was an hour long back rub instead of a massage but it was an experience hearing the ocean none the less.
We hired a car for the entire week which worked out super cheap. Over all a very enjoyable stay which started off terrible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, IHG, Tingo, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your InterContinental Resort Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava
- InterContinental Resort Mauritius Balaclava