“Really Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
UK
“Really Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Currently out here having a relaxing family holiday. Our company use Intercontinental and Crowne Plaza constantly, both in the UK and in New York and America, so we expected a high standard. We have not been disappointed by IR Mauritius. The welcome, the staff, the service, the rooms, indeed everything has been outstanding. The food is exceptional and the staff really cannot do enough for you. These hotels are always a reflection of their management and it is clear that an outstanding management team is at work here. Well done, a smashing holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms face the Ocean, so unaware of any bad rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Tony01UK,

Thank you so much for your review, it's a comfort to know that we're hitting the mark against brand consistency.

I do hope to welcome you back soon to Mauritius.

Thank you again for such a positive review.

Shane J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Benfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I were initally concerned about our choice of our hotel due to the reviews we had read on Trip adviser however we loved the IC in Balaclava. It was big enough to have your own personal spot in paradise but small enough to navigate easily. We enjoyed breakfast in the Segala, lunch on the beach and dinner in the main restaurant. The food was lovely, plenty of choice available and plain chicken,lamb fish etc for those who do not like spices or herbs. We had dinner in the Segala on one occasion and would highly recommend the crab broth it was sensational. We also ate in the Noble house on one occasion which was nice as an alternative to buffet and being served but the food was just as good in the buffet area. We often return from holiday craving vegetables but in this case we did nto miss anything as there was plenty of vegeatables and salad to choose from. We found the Poolside bar staff really friendly and the wait was not an issue for us they worked hard serving the beach walking up and down to ensure its customers were happy. The bar staff woudl concot a cocktail for you if you coudl not make up your mind what you wanted and I was always pleased with the result. I liked to idea of the red and blue flag again ensuring you had privacy and was not disturbed by showing the red flag or asking for service by using the blue flag, however we did not feel the need to use this service as it was not required as we found the staff attentive enough, I have stayed at hotels where the staff are so 'in your face' asking if they can help that I find it most irritaiting however here for us, they had the level of attentiveness just right. Initially I was worried we may not find a sunbed as it seems like there are not enough when you first walk round but we always found a bed and there were always spare ones around so it was an illusion that there did not seem to be enough, plus they had lovely round whicker furniture you could lay on as a couple or just if you wanted lots of space to yourself dotted around the resort.. The towel cabana was great too and supplied as many towels as you wished the staff were always friendly and soon recongised you and your rom number was not requested. My husband and I normally like to venture out on holiday and rarely go all inclusive howver we just chilled and completely swtiched off, did not bother to leave the complex as we did not feel the need to bar one trip on a catamaran which was great. My husband had warned me that the beaches were better on the east side of the island but because we were going in winter we wanted to make sure it was nice enough to sit out at all times so chose the west side of the island. For us the weather was just right and we sat out all day and watched the wonderful sunsets each evening with one of the lovely cocktails from the beach bar.On our last day we watched an 'anti cyclone' against the beach which was amazing to see. There was entertainment available and I sometimes felt for the entertainers at the lack of people attending to entertain which to me indicated that this was not really what people were there for so in previous reviews where there are complaints about lack of entertainment I'm not sure what the hotel can do about it, it's there if you want it?!!! Also the daily activities board was updated and again the activiites were available if you wanted them but due to lack of participants did not always run, again I'm not too sure what they can do about this, the staff tried to get people involved but I think they also tried hard to recognise people wanted privacy, a fine line for them to get right I suspect? Our room was lovely, I have a chronic back problem so bed comfort is paramount to me and the beds as previously mentioned are lovely, I requested firmer pillows and they were in my room on return from dinner. We did not have children but where there were families I did notice parents having some 'me time' so expect the kids club worked well for them. I am normally well ready to go home from my holidays as I do get homesick but in this instance I was not, I could have stayed longer... much longer. Things that coudl be considered to - I would say could be improved which could also support quicker service from the pool bar is use of an electronic system for purchases rather than paper based bills. For example the use of the room card to have your purchases recorded as you order, this would save time for the waiters coming back and forth. I also noticed that the hotel is green friendly so again this could save use of paper. The other thing I was not sure about was accessiblity, the toilets were quite small and I did not observe any wheelchair accessible toilets or ramps for accessibility - I am not sure if this is being dealt with or is available but I just did not see it?
All in all a great trip and we were very sorry to leave, well done for giving us privacy but at the same time being attentive enough to make sure we felt valued

Room Tip: try to get room in the middle of the complex
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KayDDavis,

I am a bit speechless. You have really covered the exact points we try and get across as a Hotel Venue Provider. The balance between privacy and attentiveness/eagerness, the right rood combination, accommodation ambiance and entertainment options.

All I can say is THANKYOU! for such an honest, stark and real review.

Definitely made our day here at the resort.

See you again soon hopefully

Kind regards

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We normally do not like to write reviews or recommend hotels easily unless we had a very enjoyable stay. Intercon Mauritius is a very good resort, mainly for families. We had a morning flight and arrived at the hotel quite tired. We were welcomed by a gentleman , followed by Vandana who did our check in and then greeted by the Duty Manager Ms. Nashreen. We waited for some 20 mins for our room. The hotel is very big and has many activities . Restaurant are always fully book , so we recommend for advance booking if you want to try the different restaurants .Our preferred one was the Noble House. Segala is good but the staffs do not pay attention sometimes, and the restaurant manager seems not to know his job well. Senso is good for breakfast and is buffet. Ved the restaurant manager is very good. Special activities in the evening. A special mention to thank Ms. Nashreen and Mr. Sunjay, the food and beverage manager for their kind attention and for making our stay a memorable one. We will definitely go back to intercon if we go back to Mauritius .

Room Tip: I would recommend you take 2 deluxe rooms next to each other if you are travelling with your grown u...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Ruby A,

Greetings from the IC Mauritius. I wanted to thank you for your review and will make sure that Sunjay and Nashreen know that you enjoyed their service.

I apologise for the apparent 'vague' service you experienced in Segala, it's fairly isolated as we don't usually get these comments regarding this restaurant, however we take all feedback seriously and will look into this, so thank you for letting us know.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mauritius, and thanks for the amazing room tip you offered. We do try to accommodate where possible 'ajoining' rooms. Another option for families is also the 2 bedroom family room, which has the interconnecting door for privacy.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Mauritius is a good place to unwind...chill by the beach...enjoy the resorts hospitality..relax in the property's hot and cold pools..utilize the inhouse sporting facilities...and lastly savor the long buffets... its all about the resort in Mauritius as the sightseeing is very ordinary. On that count the intercon does not disappoint. The ocean facing rooms are great especially the ones on the ground floor which have direct beach access. The food is good, however continental options for vegetarians are very limited. You will not be disappointed with the indian vegetarian spread which is quite good. The property is sprawling and very scenic. This is an option you should strongly consider if you want to visit Mauritius. But with the dollar prices soaring and the overpriced country that Mauritius is you would be advised to strongly consider asian substitutes like Langkawi Phuket Krabi or Koh Samui which are cheaper more scenic and more happening than Mauritius.

• Stayed June 2013
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear sudhanshu6,

I just wanted to drop you a short note to thank you for your review.

Thank you for highlighting our vast variety of Indian Vegetarian items, and we've taken on board your comments for the Continental Vegetarian side.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mauritius in the near future.

Saint-Denis, Reunion Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The first contact with this superb hotel is awesome : the entry hall is huge and furnished elegantly, same comment regarding the rooms : we were really impressed with the size and comfort of the Family room : 2 bedrooms, 3 TVs, a very nice and user friendly bathroom : really impressive !
The staff is very professional and friendly, especially female employees, a special mention to Supryia (Senso restaurant), we really appreciated her dedication to make our time unique at the restaurant.
A few irritating things though : we arrived early in the morning and had to wait for our luggage for many hours, long after the 2pm check-in; it was only after successive calls to reception that someone eventually looked in a storage room far away from reception where obviously our bags had been forgotten and left unattended...not too good for a start...we also felt sometimes too much pressure from the staff to consume and spend money in tours or activities.
Dives were really disappointing (but, yes, that's not a zoo !) and the value for money is not very competitive : 50€ for a 35 min dive...
Our kids were not too enthusiastic about the kids club, too much time spent in front of TV, it probably lacks more dynamic activities ; but the staff is really unreproachable with kids they are in charge of.
During our stay, the clientele was mainly Indian and local, therefore food was adapted accordingly, which, for a European, is very interesting, for it offers a tasty and smelly range of unusual cuisine experiences ! That was really exquisite, especially the Indian restaurant which was definitely our reference ; the Mauritius Restaurant along the Beach is excellent too, unfortunately we had a bad experience with the Asian one : dark place, dirty seats (spotted with bird droppings), dull meals compared with other restaurants,...not to be recommended, but enough choice in the 3 other restaurants to keep you excited to go for lunch or diner !
The presence of many birds is not too much of a problem (except above), but we were surprised to see wandering cats around and inside the Senso restaurant, it is surprising in such a upper-range hotel to notice you can hardly see any insect or bug -due to continuous treatment I guess- , while these not so good looking cats seem to be left walking around the tables. It won't ruin your stay there, though, that is just an unpleasant detail.

We spent 5 days in winter time, therefore the presence of a heated swimming-pool was precious ! Not all hotels can provide this service, and we were glad to enjoy it !

The hotel could do better regarding sports activities, our feeling was it is not their priority, may be not that of the majority of their clients either. For instance, the beach volley pitch is located...below a tree ! And the net is everything but a volley ball net ! The beach soccer pitch is minuscule and is not an invitation to play soccer; that would be a good idea to have more adapted sports facilities, there is definitely enough space.

In a nutshell : Very high standards and a perfect destination for a luxurious farniente, delicious & exotic meals, Spa/Hammam/Gym, global atmosphere and the experience of a staff dedicated to you, but if you are looking for sports experiences, there are probably other 4**** hotels in the neighbourhood with better facilities

Dear delep974,

Greetings from the IC Mauritius and thank you for your review of our resort.

Being based in Reunion, we hope to see you come more often.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the food at the hotel and were able to taste a varied range of cuisines.

Regarding the cats, it's a problem we're addressing, since the closure of the MSPCA in Mauritius, it's been difficult for us, but we're working on it.

We have taken your constructive feedback regarding the kids club.

thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mauritius soon.

newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Firstly I think that holidays are so subjective that I refrain from recommending places to stay, visit etc. because everyone is different. However from a review perspective one can draw the good elements & the not so good from a review or indeed a series of reviews where there is a common them reoccurring from a positive or a negative slant. We chose the Intercontinental because I’d stayed at two of their hotels previously & found them to be exceptional value as well as of a high standard. We looked at some of the reviews before booking and then thought that we would try the hotel out for ourselves.

First impressions is that the reception area is huge & looks phenomenal. This is a great feature for guests or visitors when they’ve travelled so far to get to Mauritius. We were welcomed by one of the courteous members of staff who (as it’s been mentioned before) provided a welcome drink, a refreshing towel & most importantly a friendly smile. We had to wait 20-30 minutes for our room to be ready, however this wasn’t a problem as we chose to admire the reception area. What was very pleasing was that Shane the Commercial Director introduced himself & sat with my family & I. He assured us of an excellent stay as well as expressed his delight that we came from one of his favourite cities “Newcastle-Upon-Tyne”.

The room was superb, a family room with two large LCD TV’s, a huge bathroom, living room & balcony as well as to the delight of my daughter, a separate bedroom. The room in general was clean & tidy, although there were small areas that could do with “freshening up” but not a big issue. The housekeeping staff were attentive as well as again very courteous. However the noise element from guests shouting whilst walking down the corridor was a little annoying – although this is down to the building construction rather than anything else.

Outside around the pool was always clean & tidy, the waiters could have been a little quicker (20 minutes for a drink on average is a little slow in my books) we did bring this to the attention of the management, however we saw little or no improvement at all, this was a popular complaint by many of the guests at the hotel. The two pools were slightly on the small side, however adequate for most people & fun at the same time – especially the heated pool.
Some of the activities that were advertised did not seem to take place, this was a little disappointing as around the hotel apart from the water activities which were excellent, the pool, tennis there was little else in the way of entertainment. This is certainly an area that could be improved & would perhaps bring guests together a little bit more? The cats that roam the hotel are not really welcomed by me or it would seem the majority of the guests. I’m not too sure if they serve a purpose or not, however they do appear to be clean they are a nuisance & in fact we did see them on the table eating food that was left over. As previous guests have commented, the birds eating the food is also a little off putting. Sure there are bird buffets, however as long as some guests continue to feed the birds I’m sure they will just return time and time again. As a result some of the cushions were ‘splattered’ with bird muck which was very off putting.

Food wise, the buffet breakfast is excellent – there’s something there for most folks & the lunch and dinner again are very good. The food is constantly replenished & always hot, however the buffet restaurant does have a ‘canteen’ feel about it. We preferred to eat to the right of the buffet restaurant (as you face the sea) this is a little more intermit and a nicer surrounding. I have to say hats off to Looben (apologise for the spelling) who is a restaurant manager there. My wife and daughter who did not always like some of the food on offer, he & his team prepared various dishes to cater for their pallets. We also received a special seafood meal courtesy of Shane for our wedding anniversary which was spectacular & well received. We did encounter some problems when a corporate function was on & we could not eat in our desired restaurant however this was compensated more than adequately by Shane & his staff.
The beach as previously discussed by other reviewers, was not great although the best part of the beach is next to the pancake/ice cream parlour. The hotel is basically isolated, this may be fine for some holiday makers however if you plan on getting out and about then you need to bring a lot of extra cash with you as a round trip to the nearest town (Arsenal) is 1000 R return. You can negotiate a cheaper rate with the taxi drivers outside the gate, however doing this everyday will cost you a small fortune depending on where you wish to visit. My recommendation is hire a car from Europcar, you can get a good deal on line & pay the representative at the Intercon. 250 R to deliver it.

All in all a really nice holiday, we enjoyed our stay & would like to thank Shane, Looben, and the girls in the kids club who were exceptional.

Room Tip: They're all good!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear kagthemag,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write a very fair review of the resort.

I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your visit. We are working on the speed of service in the Coco Bar, and it can get a little busy there during peak periods.

For the night time entertainment, we do try to have as much going on as possible, with the Indian, Arabic, Latin and of course Sega shows that are on 4 nights a week, as well as different musicians which we discussed (although fine tuning this process).

I will make sure that the staff you have mentioned know that you enjoyed their service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mauritius in the near future.

Henley on thames
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Just returned back from a fabulous 12 night stay and would highly recommend this hotel. We and our three girls couldn't have been looked after better. The service in the main restaurant was brilliant, pretty slow at the beach bar but staff so warm and friendly it didn't seem to matter. It was very safe for our girls to have the freedom to run up and down resort and they had lots of fun at kids club. They loved Chaya who was really lovely with them. The family suite was perfect for the five of us and beds amazingly comfy! In the Sagala restaurant Christophe couldn't have done enough for us and Wesley also in Noble house made our stay very special. Not forgetting Shane the sales and marketing director who went out of his way to make sure we were having a fabulous time. We definitely hope to return one day.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room request one around heated pool.
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shane J, Director of Sales at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Vics L,

I'm glad that you and the family arrived back safely, it was a real pleasure to have you here.

I'll make sure that Chaya, Christophe and Wesley get the feedback, I'm super happy that they looked after you well.

I know that Segala was your preference for breakfast, we are very lucky to have two breakfast locations for guests here at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mauritius and the resort in the near future.

Shane J

Been to InterContinental Resort Mauritius? Share your experiences!