“Far away from sand beaches and boating.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Far away from sand beaches and boating.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

The resort is in the northern part of the island. After Checking in, I saw a very large lobby, good view of the sea which made me feel that I have arrived at a very nice place to stay. Now the finer observations:
1) Check in process was much delayed and one of my colleagues passport was misplaced. So never give your passport to the hotel staff when you check in. They may return the same to a wrong person.
2) Room is large and well built, TV has fewer channels- which may be okay for people who wan to just unwind. The remote control was not working from the bed so you really have to rise, go to the TV and change the channel.
3) The Breakfast is good.
4) the hotel is actually far away from the real action in Mauritius. We had to drive 15 km to go to grand bay to see really beautiful beach and boating.
5) Check out was delayed too.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Pawan_Review,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your feedback.
I would like to present our most sincere apologies for misplacing the passport of your colleague. It is part of our standard operating procedures and we normally do not mix up passports. I will review the process with our Front Office Manager to avoid such issue to happen again in the future.
I do not know what time you arrived at the hotel. However being in the High Season, we are running at full capacity on pretty much a daily basis. Therefore that creates delays in getting rooms ready prior to normal check in time, i.e. 2 pm.
We are as well in a secluded area but still only 15 minutes away from Grand Baie and 20 minutes away from Port Louis which is reasonable.
I am glad you enjoyed our facilities and breakfast and hope you will give us another chance next time you come on Business so that we can show you the real InterContinental Hospitality!

Best regards,

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Baroda,India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The intercontinental resort in Mauritius is a one of its kind resort that enthralls its guests with a host of facilities and excellent services. This resort is very beautifully located and views from the rooms are very good and relaxing. We had a 7 day honeymoon at the place ( arranged by Mauritiusmania.com at real discounted rates).Almost everyone we met there ws on a honeymoon, so ws a decent fun during the whole trip.Abundance of Honeymooners is due to the special priviliges it gives to newly married Janta Their concierge facility is also very good and needed.

A backdrop here is the lack of privacy in rooms. The housekeeping staff is not very good but its other staff is above par level and is very helpful. They also have a lot of bell boys and that is an advantage. Their in house and in room dining is very efficient and the room service is also very fast so one doesn’t face delays in dining.
Their complimentary drinks at the reception and otherwise are also enjoyable. Their restaurant serves a host of culinary dishes from around the world and this caters to every section of its guests. Although their beach is very beautiful to look at, it is not very comfortable to walk around on and this to an extent spoils the mood.

Another drawback here is that you are woken up easily in the early morning by their lawn mowers and that really disturbs your sleep. Their rooms are big and fitted with decent amenities.

Some other facilities at this resort include 24 hour room service, executive floor, coffee shop, family room, bicycle facility, bar, pub, restaurant, laundry, smoking area, swimming pool, garden, massage and spa facilities, water sports, wireless internet access, wired net access etc. This property also has a business center, conference room, currency exchange facility.

Room Tip: suites r nice fr long stay
Dea harshita s,

I would like to thank you for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that overall you had a wonderful honeymoon and that you enjoyed all our facilities except for the beach that was too rocky.
Indeed we have had 2 cyclonic alerts and it damaged very badly our beaches. We have worked hard to put it back in shape. However it took more than a week to do so.
As for the issue with the noise from our gardeners, I will address it with them as there are strict rules stipulating that they are not allowed to start noisy work before 10 am.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again for your 1st wedding anniversary or the 1st baby.

Redmond, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Veda - The Indian restaurant is the only savior!! It has good food and an extremely hospitable and welcoming staff. Everything else is overpriced and the hotel staff in general is not at all courteous..Will not recommend this to anyone..The rooms are nothing to brag about and neither are the views from the room..All in all it was just an average hotel with moderately good views..

Dear NAVJOTRATTAN,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
From your short feedback I understand that we did not deliver up to your expectations and that makes me very sad as indeed it means we failed in our mission...
I would like to present my most sincere apologies for not offering you the perfect holiday you were looking for.
We generally get great feedback on the friendliness of our staff. However I take on board your overall comment and will make sure to share it with all our team as indeed your perception is our truth.
All our rooms are sea facing rooms but not right on the beach. Therefore the coconut trees in the gardens may alter the view depending on the location of your room. We are looking at trimming most of them to improve the views from the rooms.
I am delighted to read that at least the Veda restaurant made the difference.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future to provide you with a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had a stunning holiday at the Intercontinental in Mauritius. We were upgraded to the Presidential Suite which was, of course, amazing!!! (Tip - pay USD$200 to join the Intercontinental Gold Ambassador Club - you will automatically get free breakfast, a guaranteed room upgrade, late check out at 4pm, free internet and a host of other services at ALL Intercontinental Hotels worldwide - this is how we managed to swing the Presidential Suite from just a normal Superior Room!) The hotel is really new, fitted out perfectly, I would suggest getting a room close to the main area because it's spread out quite far. Breakfast is great. There was lots of great entertainment while we were there - one night they put on a fashion show at the pool and fireworks! The service was really, really great. You should also make use of the facilities like the free glass bottom boat and other water activities. The only thing that is a downside is that the beach is man made - and very rocky... but you are close by to some amazing beaches so why not get out of the resort and explore :) we absolutely loved this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear nooree,

What a pleasure to read your comments regarding your recent stay with us in Mauritius.
Thank you for joining our InterContinental Ambassador Club. As mentioned it brings along a wide range of benefits and I am delighted our team was able to make it real for you and your partner! It sounds like you had the perfect holiday...

We hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again in the near future.
All the best!

Chennai (Madras), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed here for a week in February. Everything is overpriced and the quality is not at all something you would expect at a 5 star hotel.

First impression on entering the lobby - WOW. The view of the beach and the ocean from the lobby was amazing. I reached around 12:30 pm in the afternoon and the check-in was not possible until 4pm. The staff did not treat with clarity and we were left stranded at the lobby. Figured out a way to have lunch at one of their restaurants - Segala. I will cover restaurants as I write in detail.

Room
--------
Then I got checked in to the room - room was as per description and I was happy. Sparkling wine, honeymoon decoration, etc etc done fine. Ocean view from the room, jacuzzi on the terrace were all great. The room had a leak from the roof in the bathroom - concerning. There were a lot of honey bees in the jacuzzi area - we never managed to use the jacuzzi comfortably. There were just too many bees. Value for money - I definitely would say dont go for such a room. Well, if you think of going for another room in the hotel, there was a snake in front of the room. Now, you have to think whether you are safe. The person at the phone denies the snake but a team of 3 house-keeping folks scarily drove the snake away.

I was changed to another similar room on my explanation of the terrible experience. The staff were not courteous in anyway. Some were very nice folks - a guy brought us back the missing silver ornament from the first room. Not many good folks at the lobby/spa. Spa was pathetic and no point in thinking of relaxing.

Restaurants
-----------------

Segala - bad staff, not at all courteous, food quality not good and ambience was bad with insects as it is close to the beach

Senso/Palms - 2 restaurants with shared kitchen?? Senso's buffet was pretty reasonable but I dont remember having any great dishes. A la carte recommendations - Pesto Primavera, Cheesecake and Tiramisu were reasonable.

Coco bar - not bad
Ice-cream corner - not many options
Butterfly or some name by the swimming pool - not bad

Veda - This is the only consolation for us. This is the reason I am giving Poor instead of Terrible. I loved this restaurant and the staff here were excellent. But candle-light dinner is not real candle-light dinner here. Food was amazing - Indians would love the food here and here alone in the hotel.

Noble House - hard to find.

Other facilities
-------------------
Yuj Spa - I have definitely been to a lot of better spas and this is not any good experience
Boat house - decent
We had Bollywood nights, Belly dance, fashion show and some party or other every night which was a good entertainment.
There are a lot of facilities here.

This is my overall experience. There are definitely some good things but the bad experiences overweigh the good ones.

Room Tip: Do not take the Jacuzzi Terrace room. The oceanview is awesome but beware of honeybees/snakes/other...
Dear PrasadRM,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us.
From what I gathered it was not the perfect honeymoon you were looking for and I would like to present our sincerest apologies for not living up to your expectations.
We have a full Preventive Maintenance Plan in place and the leakage in the bathroom (ceililng) should have been picked up prior to your arrival. Most probably an issue with the A/C. Being in a tropical island we have all sorts of insects. However once again when you reported the bees issue, we should have come and check if there was a hive somewhere and remove it. As for snakes we rarely see them and the one we have a grass snakes that are harmless (short and thin greenish / brownish color). However for religious reasons, people are scared of harming them. Due to the heavy rains we have had we have seen 2 to 3 of them since the beginning of the rainy season (January to February).
I am very sorry to read your comments over Segala and indeed we generally get fantastic feedback on both staff and food in that restaurant. Same applies to our Yuj Spa. However I take your feedback on board as constructive feedback and will share it with our teams as it is the best way for us to improve.
I am delighted to read that at least the Veda restaurant was up to your expectations.

I thank you once again for your constructive feedback and trust you brought some fond memories of your Honeymoon in Mauritius back home.

Best regards,

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at resort 31st Jan to 9th Feb, this hotel would suit honeymooners but for me its to isolated, a taxi into Grand Bay from the hotel is 1800 rupee return (£40) Can get it cheaper outside gates, taxis waiting there.Our room (1215) was good overall, Bathroom needs a bit of work (Reseal around shower cubicle etc) maid very nice lady very helpful.
Beach not the best i've been on but OK.we were able to book speciality restaurants the same day but had to take pot luck with the set meals menu only comes available 4pm the same day.
Special mention to Arvin & Vishal (Bar)excellent, very helpful and friendly.
Once again suit Honeymooners but for me to isolated.

Dear Brian E,

First of all I would like to apologize for my late reply.
Indeed my wife gave birth to our 2nd Baby boy on Valentine's day and I took a few days with my family afterwards.

Moreover I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are indeed a little bit isolated so that people can switch off and relax while staying with us. Taxi fares are set by the governement and the Taxi Association and we only recommend using the taxi allocated to the hotel as we know them all and can guarantee the level of service.
We do have a full Preventive Maintenance Plan in place and will make sure we put more emphasis on the sealing of the shower cubicle as I have read this comment a few times already. We are looking into other long lasting and environmental friendly alternatives than the silicon.
I am delighted to read that the Housekeeping lady, Arvin and Vishal made a difference for you and I will make sure we celebrate it internally!

Should you not be married yet with your partner, we hope to welcome you again for your Honeymoon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at the resort from January 27 2013 to Feb 1 2013 for my honeymoon....

Property : excellent property.... Spread across huge area wid adequate privacy... Beach is little rocky... Water is crystal clear blue... Enf beach chairs to laze around....

Food : being a vegetarian enf choice of veg food was available at the segala resturant.... There r other speciality restaurant ( approx 4-5) which needs prior booking once u check in the resort... Usually same day booking is not available in the speciality restaurant...

Quality of services: quality of service is not v good... Does not give u a feel of a 5 star hospitality... Staff is not v courteous and not v aware.... This is da only accept wherein intercontinental does not give u a feel of a 5 star.... Lady at the spa is v rude...

Room : v stayed in da presidential suite and the room was really awsumly awsum... Gr8 view of the ocean frm da room...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Adityahaldia,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am delighted to read that all in all you had a great stay thanks to our vegetarian options and the fantastic Presidential Suite.
We have had 2 cyclonic alerts over the past month and it has damaged the beach quite a lot. We have now completed the 1st phase of resanding and leveling. We will continue working on it to make it less rocky by removing the dead corals.
I would like to present my sincere apologies for the attitude of our staff during your stay. This is simply unacceptable and I will bring it up tomorrow morning during our Morning briefing and make sure the message is spread across the whole team.

I trust you brought some great memories back home and I look forward to welcoming you both again in the future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to InterContinental Resort Mauritius? Share your experiences!