“Luxurious hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Balaclava
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Luxurious hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Right from the location, to the layout, the staff, food, hospitality . . . everything seeming near-perfect. The senior staff is always walking around and in their french accents inquiring what they could do to help us. That's care for detail for you. Large room on a split level, large bathroom, a balcony overlooking the sea, fine dining at the Segala restaurant, hot water swimming pool, in-house water sports, inhouse ball games, racquet games, scooder ride, alert staff, and much much more. A hotel worth recommending to all my friends and associates.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view. However, choose the second floor to avoid the trees
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear HirooT,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It is with great pleasure that I have shared it with our team.
I am delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay thanks to our staff and management team attentiveness.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.

1,163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and i went with his work to this location as part of their annual convention and it turned out to be a business but yet pleasureable trip which was really worth it!

I am all for a big breakfast at getaway locations and this is definitely one of the places that come to the party with their breakfast, it is by far the biggest variety of breakfast i have experienced, really something of everything for everyone to enjoy.

The rooms were clean and we enjoyed the privacy, we didnt travel with an international adapter so our phones and camera were dead by the time we got to the hotel, they probably only have a limited amount of stock on this and we had to wait an entire day before one became available. So if you do go on these trips please remember to take one, we couldnt take pictures on our first day and had to wait for the camera to charge again before we could go out and explore.

The best part of the resort is that all watersports are part of your package so you don't pay for anything, you just have to book a day in advance in most cases because they have specific departure times for the different watersports or boat trips. The beach towels are given to you on the beach front so you don't have to be too concerned about that, scooters are also available for hire, but that was at a cost.

They have diffr restaurants so it suits your taste buds in every way, Senso restaurant were my favroute probably because of the breakfast lol

The staff are very friendly, i had to check my emails and instead of billing me for using the internet they let me use it for 10 minutes for free just because

My overall experience at the hotel were really great! I would like to go back in a few years with my son as this location is great for family visits

Room Tip: We stayed at the bottom room and it was really nice and quiet and we enjoyed our privacy
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Chandre-CPT,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay in Mauritius. I am glad you were able to join your husband and enjoy our facilities while he was working.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast in Senso, the lay out of our Guest rooms and the Water sport activities.
I would like to present our sincere apologies if we were not able to provide you with an adaptor on the 1st day. We should have enough in stock. I will follow up with our Front Office team to make sure we bump up our stock.

We look forward to welcoming you again with your son!

New Delhi, Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

In Mauritius, its necessary to stay in a good hotel which has a beach/ a good resaturant & spa in it. Most tourist destinations are far from hotels and mostly have around 1hour road travel. This hotel covers all such need and you can spend leisure days in the property itself.
In terms of the restaurant, there are regular changes to the menu (from arabian to indian to italian et al) Also hotel organizes different theme nights (white theme party or belly dancing and much more) Prices for restaurants are nominal compared to 5* standards however would reccomend one to buy liquor from duty free at airport. Also, there are super markets around - Jumbo market is one of them which is good.
There 2 two swimming pools - one hot and othernormal; the hot pool feels great in mornings & late evening. Also the beach is good with plenty of beach beds and marked area for tourist to get in.
Overall a great experience

Room Tip: try abd get your room on 1st or 2nd floor. Ground floor though has more space but sea view is not th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Sidharthkapil,

Thank you so much for your fantastic comments regarding your last visit to Mauritius.
I am glad to read that you had a good time and enjoyed the facilities of the Resort.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon!

Kind regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Firstly let me say we had a wonderful holiday at what is a really nice, very friendly, comfortable, homely hotel full of great staff and a cosy informal atmosphere. But is it 5 Star ? ... No, not compared to other hotels I have been to and the main problem appears to be not lack of willing or facilities but ORGANIZATION!
My husband and I along with our 14yr old daughter stayed here between Oct 27th to Nov 10th. We booked a Presidential Suite for the 3 of us thinking it had a separate bedroom for our daughter as we found the hotels web site not that easy to navigate but it didn’t which of cause wasn’t the hotels fault but we fell in love with the suite we got. BUT....no bed had been set up for our daughter even though they had known she was going to need one for a month. We had to ask TWICE for it to be done along with asking for extra towels and a third set of slippers and a third robe. After asking 3 times the slippers and robe never ever turned up. Not 5 Star.
On the web site we did see that the Presidential Suite got a nightly turn down service which I am the first to say is not something anyone NEEDS but when paying for 5 Star Service and when you are told it’s what you are going to get it’s something that adds that little bit of luxury. We got it 5 times in the 2 weeks with no rhyme of reason as to when it would or wouldn’t happen. We ended up playing the “guess if he’s been in or not game” when we returned from dinner and drinks. Every time we go 5 Star elsewhere as soon as we leave for the evening after napping of hanging out on the veranda somebody is in your room tidying and turning down the beds. If it’s advertised and paid for you expect it. The room was cleaned beautifully every morning (the Jacuzzi wasn’t always even when we had used it) and we left Nitin a good tip because we are aware these fella’s are not paid much. He left wonderful towel animals and flowers until my daughter bed was surrounded by a zoo almost.
A lot of people complain about the birds which do fly into the restaurants during lunch and breakfast and the flies are a pest but if we want to go to hot countries and eat and drink sticky yummy food that’s what going to happen. The hotel is very open to the outside and better for it. I think it drives the staff just as mad. They try very hard to keep it under control. My advice is to chill out about it. We didn’t get ill...its only birds. I had a thought that one eco way of keeping them under control would be to have a hotel bird of prey with a handler as if fed these birds don’t take many wild animals but do put them off an area. We have them in the City of London to keep the sea gulls away and in rubbish dumps as well. Just an idea. The swim up bar can get a bit fly blown if the pool guys get behind on the washing up also. Again....ORGANIZATION.
The chair cushions in the restaurants could do with changing. Due to the birds they get dirty and are rubbed down (I know this as my husband and I spent a dinner sat on some wet ones without noticing until we stood up with damp bums) and the beds around the beach and pool need updating. Some are very stained and some have broken slats. Again these are 5 Star touches.
The food is good (pasta and pizza tends to be cold...heat lamps not working ?) but Segala is the best place to go for dinner and breakfast. We didn’t have to book as the hotel wasn’t busy. We didn’t try the Indian of Chinese due to the teenager not being very adventurous but apparently they are very good. The cocktails are great and as the guys have a large area to work in you need to get up and get them yourselves sometimes but after a few the exercise is required.
The lobby is amazing and a nice place to chill with a book and a drink and people watch but OMG please stop the very very noisy discos that seem to happen most night. We could hear it from our suite and we are not early birds. 2 nights a week would be enough. It’s all a bit Club Med. It would be great to just sit and listen to the wave. The entertainment is nice and for us was enough.
The beach was disappointing at first because it’s not the blue lagoon that we are used to but it is actually very nice and if you snorkel you will see loads. Some people have moaned that you can see industrial Port Loius and container ships from the beach but i'm not sure what they think the hotel can do about that. If you want a view of open blue sea research your holiday.The lagoon seems to be a nursery for baby Moray Eels. Take beach shoes as there are nasty urchins and some rocks. It’s very shallow. The pool is cold if it’s a cloudy day but on a hot day it is great and there is always the heated pool which I found too hot but great for little tiny ones. The guys at the water sports shack don’t seem to push for work but are pleasant enough. You must check out Coco the baby parrot. My husband went for one dive with them which was pleasant but not challenging so if you want to dive I recommend Omi who has a place at the back of the Plantation hotel down past the Maritim. He will build a dive around your requirements.
You have to go to Casela and walk with the Lions or play with the cubs...it’s amazing. We hired a car for a couple of days and then a taxi for another day out...there isn’t much difference in price but a taxi driver can get through the terrible traffic better with local road knowledge. There are some nice beaches within an hour up north. Take the time to park up and explore. Don’t be put off by the public car parks etc. I found the diverse peoples of this Island fascinating and mostly very friendly. There are some very poor areas and if you have not travelled widely that can be a shock. It’s not a cheap place to shop. The factory shops are more expensive than my local boutiques so we didn’t bother.
In conclusion we had a fabulous time but in my opinion this hotel is not 5 Star but could be with just a few tweaks and a little more management. The managers are always around which is great but maybe they need to manage the tiny things that add up to a luxury experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sarah G,

First of all I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and the time you spent to write a very comprehensive review.
I can only agree with what you said. The little touches make the difference and create the experience. We should get the basics right and it starts with setting up the room for 3 people when it is booked for 3 without having to call several times to get it done.
Consistency is another thing that did not happen during your family stay with us as shown by the Turn down service not rendered on a daily basis at it should be.
Mauritian people are famous for their friendliness and smile and I am glad you experienced it.
I have shared your comments with our Management team so that they can each review in their own departments what needs to be done to prevent those small issues to happen again.
It is a question of organization and leadership.
We will endeavor to rectify all these inconsistencies before your next visit!

Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was great experience to stay in Intercon resort... 4 types of restaurants, sea view room, balcony, attached Jacuzzi ... Food was same as any 4-5 star hotel with good varieties .
Beautiful & clean beach…

There are many basic watersports are free of cost. Some of advance sports are charged which can be bargained.

Room Tip: Honeymooners!!!!! invest some extra money and hire room with Jacuzzi. General Jacuzzi is used by man...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear XYZVisitorXYZ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share you experience with us.
I am delighted to read that you had a great time with us and especially enjoyed our Jacuzzi Suite with its outdoor Jacuzzi and private terrace.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon!
Best regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I happened to have to stay there at the beginning of September for business, but luckily enough my wife had a few days of vacation and she was able to join as I don't think you visit the Maritius every other day! The Mauritius is a very hospital island with very friendly people, so definitely one of the best destinations for a nice and relaxing vacation. The hotel is located on the coast, so you are litterally on the beach with an breathe-taking view of the ocean. The only disadvantage is that the hotel is quite far from downtown and you could be jammed in traffic during rush hours so if you are planning to explore the city, this may not be your best choice. But if you are instead planning for a relaxing vacation, this is definitely the place to be!
Good choice of restaurants, very efficient service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Gerry1582,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your feedback on your business / leisure stay.
I am glad your wife was able to join you during your business trip and could enjoy the facilities of the resort while you were going to your business appointments.
Traffic can be quite heavy when travelling to Port Louis as there is indeed only one road. The government is building another one to avoid Port Louis City center and it should be operational early next year!

Hopefully we will see you again and this time for leisure for both of you!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just wanted to say what a wonderful stay we had at this top class hotel. Visually the hotel is very impressive, rooms are of a high standard and excellent size. Great choice of restaurants with their own unique style and flavour. Evening entertainment is done tastefully.....and my husband, daughter and I enjoyed watching the Indian, sega and Arabic dancing. The staff were all very attentive and couldn't be more helpful......thank you so much!!!!!There was so much space on the beach and sun loungers were a good distance apart. My 6yr old went to the kids club a couple of times and the staff were excellent with her. We truly had a wonderful stay here and would recommend it to anyone.x

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sophie,

What a pleasure to read your amazing feedback on your family stay with us!
We are all delighted to read that you had such a Great time together thanks to our lovely team, facilities and entertainment.

We look forward to welcoming you all again sooner than later!

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to InterContinental Resort Mauritius? Share your experiences!