“modern luxury” 4 of 5 stars

india
“modern luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental for 3 nights. My observations are as below:
Rooms-The rooms are superb. We took an ocean view double room, and the sofa bed was ideal for our 10 year old son. The room is spacious and very well made and modern.However, the tv remote seems to function only when you stand near the tv. Can't change channels otherwise! Another thing is that they didn't provide multi-pin adapters for gadgets that don't fit into their electric sockets, despite requests.
Swimming- There is a heated swimming pool apart from the regular one, which is nice, since it was quite cool there. Moreover, the pools are not very deep, and so you can leave your kids in them without worrying.
Dining- The food is pretty good in the buffet with some eggless and veg varieties for us veggies. I had read reviews earlier of sparrows hopping around during breakfast, which was true, but not irritating at all. However, the Veda restaurant was a disappointment. Also all the chairs in both the Veda restaurant and the Senso buffet had stains on their fabric. They desperately need changing. The Segala restaurant was quite good and clean.
Service- Prompt and courteous, though we didn't get that multi pin adapter!
Beach- Very nice and scenic. The boat house is good and Jean there is very friendly, strumming up tunes on his guitar.
Overall a very nice stay. Would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear rsinath,

I am delighted to read that you and your family had a great time and enjoyed our facilities and the friendliness of Jean Pierre from the Boat House. He is a great guitar player!!!
I do apologize for the lack of follow up regarding the plug adapter as it should have been made available upon your request.
I am sorry to read that your experience of Veda was not satisfactory, but glad that Segala was great!

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and your family again.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I am still in the ic mauritius. Had a beautyful week. Was an all inclusive formula. Food was perfect and also the drinks;) although i am not drninking alcohol but i love the non alcoholic cocktails baby colada and dolphin. Staff in the hotel is very kind. They speak perfect english and french. The spa is also nice. I really can recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear raphstar,

Thank you so much for taking the time during your vacation to post your comments.
I am delighted to read that you enjoy your stay with us and most specifically the delicious mocktails prepared by our bar team!

Enjoy the rest of your holidays with us in Mauritius!!!

Pretoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Intercontinental Resort Balaklava offers a good standard five star accomodation for tourists in the west coast of Mauritius just north of Port Louis. The property was built about 3 years ago and has an horizontal layout that results in some rooms being quite far from the lobby. In general the service is of good quality. I found that the rooms in the lower floors were a bit dark and damp (humidity in the walls due to construction faults) but management quickly changed me to a much better upstairs room. The food in the asian restaurant is excellent, average in the indian restaurant, ok in the main dining room (buffet) where several enterntainment activities are organized throughout the week. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, with small balconies that are inviting to watch the sunset. Another reviewer comments on the mosquitoes, which exist but the hotel management has been careful to spray constantly so I never had a problem with that. The beach is quite nice, and the pools are fine (a small heated pool and a large non-heated pool). Due to the location this is not a good business hotel but for tourists this is an excellent location in the west coast.

Room Tip: First or second floor better than lower floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Juan_in_Pretoria,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to read that we were able to relocate you during your stay in an upper floor room. I also take this opportunity to let you know that we are currently testing a new technology to remove the humidity from our bedroom walls on the ground floor level. The results so far are very promising!
I am glad you enjoyed the food prepared by our Chef Vedish from Noble House restaurant (Asian Fusion).

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in Mauritius.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Best resturant is noble house followed by the Indian restaurant. The staff were excellent. In the buffet, commendations go to Pamela and veeshna.

For a five star hotel we were very shocked to see, one of the vanity basin had a crack right through it. And sharp edges that could easly cut someone.
The shower leaked into the toilet.
The cups in the bathroom were plastic and cracked
The fridge wasn't cold. ( which was replaced after three days)

We were promised by four different people that we would be given an anniversary cake, which we never got.
We were also promised an upgrade, which we never got.

Our rooms were not made up till 3.30-4 pm, each day.

There are no shuttles to take you to grand brae or port lois and they should be provided as there is no access to transport utter than taxis which worked out very costly.
1800 rupee -$60.00 each time.

While we were waiting for our bags to be picked up from our room, we were phoned by a woman from front reception, who in a very abrupt and rude manner,- told us that we should have been down in reception half an hour ago. We were under the understanding that we were to wait till our bags got picked up. She was very rude.

In saying that there are staff here that are just lovely. And go above and beyond. We hope they are appreciated.

The hotel is a long way from anywhere. If you are wanting solitude, then maybe this is the one for you.

Would I stay here again. No.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arnaud E, at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Jen386,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and for your constructive feedback.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the food of both our Asian Fusion and Indian restaurants. I am also extremely pleased to find out that some of our staff members made the difference thanks to their smile and friendliness.
All our rooms are inspected prior to check in by our Housekeeping management and it is unacceptable to see that some technical issues were not fixed prior to your arrival. Kindly be assured that we a Preventive Maintenance Management plan in place that will be reinforced following your comments.
I would like to present my sincere apologies for the lack of follow up from our side especially regarding the anniversary cake.
It is true that our resort is quite secluded as most of the Resorts in the area. Taxis are available at a cost that also includes up to 4 hours of stand by wherever you go, service that you would not get with public transport.

I thank you one more time for taking the time to share your comments and experience with us and hope to have the pleasure to see you again in Mauritius!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

So I only have long beach on the other side of the island to compare this with but I have not enjoyed my experience at the intercontinental. Mosquitos rise in your room like fruit flies but u have to request a mosquito machine. No flat sheet in the rooms, no mosquito nets. Queue at meal times and wait for cutlery. Flies all over at breakfast and its probably because not much is cleaned-tables and chairs. We had friends that wanted to come visit, they called reception, nobody answered.

• Stayed October 2012
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear dale2769,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. As you also shared them via our online questionnaire, my feedback will sound redundant to you but I would like to present my sincere apologies if we were not able to deliver the quality of service that you can expect from InterContinental Brand.
I can assure you it is not a true reflection of what our people deliver on a daily basis.
We are treating our hotel grounds on a daily basis against mosquitoes however no treatment is 100% efficient. Our mosquito plugs and nets for baby cots are available upon request via our Housekeeping department.
Our outlets are cleaned on a daily basis. However at the beginning of summer there are quite a lot of flies despite our preventive pest control.

I trust you still brought some nice memories from your 2nd trip to Mauritius and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and your family again to show you the real Mauritian & InterContinental hospitality.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The service was excellent- staff were friendly and helpful. We found the rooms were a great size. The facilities were fantastic. We loved the diversity and quality of food. Our kids enjoyed the kids club. BEAUTIFUL outlook. We cannot speak highly enough of our experience and would go back there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Get0ut0fthecity,

It was such a delight to read your comments this morning! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am glad that the whole family enjoyed their holiday in Mauritius thanks to our lovely staff, great facilities and the quality of food.

I take you up on your words: we look forward to welcoming you all again soon!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I would most definitely recommend this hotel to any honeymooners from the West. Everyone was so completely friendly, warm and kind to myself and my husband during our 10 night stay in September 2012.

I can not speak highly enough of the service we received, my husband thought more so than me.

Transfers- the transfers which were booked as part of our package ran smoothly, we were shown our private car and quickly transferred to our hotel.

Arrival- we had an extremely long journey and were really very tired, and we were welcomed on our first day by all staff and we were breath taken by the views over the balcony while we had a short wait for check in. We were then led to our room on a buggy- which is all I needed for my tired swollen feet.

Room- the rooms are cleaned twice a day, and they were always cleaned to a very high standard. Cleaning staff were also very friendly when we walked past.

First and foremost: I would like to say SUNNY SINGH from the Fitness centre was extremely kind enough to help us on his day off, where we had rented a car, and drove us around Mauritius and take us to some of the places we had on our itinerary. He was also helping my husband work out at the gym on the other days. We can not thank Sunny enough for what he did for us and how much he looked after us. I would recommend some sort of reward system, which I am sure you probably have in place already, for such staff members, that go out of their way to make travellers experience a unforgettable honeymoon.

Food- we LOVED Segala- See food and Mauritian cuisine, we almost ate there every day, sometimes even -3x a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner)! We even mention Segala until now (a WHOLE month and a bit after we have arrived back). We had our honeymoon dinner on the beach here, and the service is almost impeccable and can not find fault with the amount of attention we were given. Thank you to: Patrick, Keseven and their manager *who's name I have now forgotten* who made this a truly unforgettable experience! Thanks

Senso:-

BREAKFAST, good if you are in a hurry (off out), but it is huge and they often forgot to bring out drinks and had to ask several times- so we tried to avoid this place, but sometimes it was unavoidable when we were out in a hurry to go on excursions etc. Nonetheless, the food was just okay.

LUNCH: They are not open for lunch I don't think and if they are we never went.

DINNER: Indian buffet, again just okay a bit busy and hot and just a mix of loads of random food.. not my cup of tea.

VEDA: We went here once for dinner and were not impressed at all, went straight back to Segala.

NOBLE HOUSE: We went here for dinner twice, the food was okay, but the service a tad poor, so we decided to stick to Segala again! The decor is nice though!

PALMS:- I really liked this, was quick and easy loved the Dolphin mocktail..

BEACH- the sea was a bit cold for me at this time of the year and also a bit rough

Excursions- I would recommend using outside operators, much cheaper and offer the same thing

Car rental- Again, I would recommend using outside operators, much cheaper-
Taxi's- You might as well hire a car, as taxi fair to Port Louis was an absolute rip off!

Ask the staff for these things, they are more then willing to help or point in the right direction.

I would recommend going ALL INCLUSIVE as otherwise the hotel is expensive..

Entertainment- was okay, was always the same girls, so made it a bit boring. The musicians or mainly the singers in the lobby are awful! (SORRY)

Port Louis which is near by is a bit better for a night out.

We stayed between: 10th-20th September 2012.

p.s- make sure you go swimming with the dolphins, it is so much fun!!!

Summary: overall great stay.. loved it

Room Tip: We stayed near Noble house and it was nice, quiet and peaceful We had a room with a separate Jacu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CatTw3p,

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive feedback regarding your honeymoon in our Resort. It was a delight to have you with us for this very special and unique occasion.
I am glad to read that our staff made it special for you especially Sunny, our Gym Instructor who went out of his way and the Segala team!
It looks like you became regular guests of Segala during your stay and I will make sure to share your very positive comments with the team there.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for the constructive feedback on the areas that we can improve to make it even better.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again so that we can show you the improvements made!

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to InterContinental Resort Mauritius? Share your experiences!