“People ... keep some perspective please.” 4 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cape Town
“People ... keep some perspective please.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I have never felt so compelled to write a review as I do now about the Intercontinental Mauritius. Why now you ask, as I was there last in March 2012 and now it’s May, and I didn’t bother before? I was busy and didn't bother.
I recently told a friend who wanted to go to Mauritius about the Intercontinental (among others I’ve stayed at) as I really thought her family would love it. I suggested she speak to my travel agent, which she did and obtained a brilliant package for this hotel. Then her husband didn’t want go because of the ‘negative write-up’s’ on TripAdvisor about the hotel. SO, off I went to read the reviews.
My opinion: People, are you so pathetic that you can’t think for yourselves? READ the stuff that people are complaining about – these things can (and do) happen in ALL hotels. If you think that most people only do write ups in TA when something goes wrong, and you consider the amount of people who stay at this (and others … not just this hotel), it sort of puts things into perspective.

A phone was stolen from someone’s room and these people had ‘never before had anything stolen from their 5 star hotel rooms’- well, the hotel does not steal anything - people do. However, if you employ a large staff compliment, someone is going to have long fingers. The hotel fired the cleaning person who was alleged to have stolen the phone. Moral of the story: Don’t be irresponsible and leave your things lying around.

Another person complained about the bland food. Yet another person complained about the SAME restaurant food and said it was too spicy. You know what, there will always be someone who is not happy, and while they have the right to voice that, do you really base your choice of going to a specific hotel on someone’s view of the food? It’s different if everyone says things like “Argh, the food was badly cooked, tasted bad and was possibly off” – that’s different, but nobody says that. I have read reviews about the Château restaurant at the Maritim Mauritius – good and bad. This is one of the BEST restaurants I’ve ever been to on the island, and yet some people don’t like it. Le 58 Tour Eiffel up the Eiffel is fabulous and even boasts a Michelin star), and we had people in our group of friends who complained non-stop about everything. Moral of the story: When it comes to food, we are all different and two people can eat the same thing and one loves it and the other not. Is this something that you use to choose a hotel? I think not.

There are a number of things people have complained about regarding this hotel and others in Mauritius (I love Mauritius and go there often). I’m not saying people shouldn’t complain or do write-ups, but when reading these things, do keep some perspective.

I have stayed at 47 different hotels in Mauritius, and while the Intercontinental was not the best of the best, it was really very good. This hotels offers value for money (value for money does not mean cheap), it offers a wide variety of restaurants to choose from (some better than others depending on your taste), the rooms are new and well maintained. The rooms are sea facing which does NOT mean sea-view. Sea facing means they face the sea – that’s it.

They have a super little heated pool which is great for chilling out in at night watching the sunset on evenings which might be too chilly to be in a ‘normal’ pool - you don't get many heated pools in Mauritius.
Their kids club (yes I have a 4 year old) is brilliant (like most of the kids clubs in Mauritius).
It would be easier to tell you what is not good about this hotel, as most of it was really, really good.
The Spa, in my opinion, is not great. I felt the décor was too dark and prefer to go to spas where it’s light and airy.
The service is often slow, but I assure you that this is something you experience at most Mauritius hotels – in fact, 'slow' is part of the overall charm of the island.
Our toilet ‘went wrong’ but we reported it and it was fixed up chop-chop. Toilets go wrong in our own homes – it happens. The room next door had a problem with their TV. The chap was furious and told me when we were chatting at the entrance to our respective doors, that it had been broken for 4 days. When I asked him if he’d told anyone, he said he hadn’t. People, the staff are not psychic – how can they fix something if they don’t know it’s broken. Wally award for that chap.

I don’t claim this is the best hotel on the island, but it’s a really nice hotel and while the things complained about on TA are important to those complaining, as the reader, try to keep some perspective. Not just about the Intercontinental, but all hotels.

Lastly, if you think I work for the hotel (as my husband thinks people will feel), I do not. I live in the Cape Winelands. If you message me directy, I would be happy to tell you more about our experiences are many of the hotels in Mauritius. Since Mauritius is a short flight from South Africa, we often go there. We have stayed in some awesome hotels (Four Seasons, Le Saint Géran, Maritim, The Residence) and some really ‘scary’ ones (Ambre, Indian Resort, Coco Beach). I will go back to the Intercontinental any time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Cathy20,

The whole team at InterContinental Mauritius Resort thank you for your fair comments on our resort.
I have shared it with all our Managers and it made their day!

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back with your family in the near future.

Warm regards,

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We were in intercontinental for a week in April - May 2012 for our honeymoon...we were welcomed with a mocktail into the hotel... after completing the initial check in formalities, we were made to wait for around 2 hrs before we finally got our "sea facing" double deluxe room, from where it was very difficult to spot the sea... We were appalled to see that there was no toothpaste in the bathroom!! what kind of a 5 star hotel does not keep a toothpaste? In the evening, we went to Senso (buffet) restaurant. the staff there was competent and welcoming.. however, the food was very disappointing... very bland and tasteless.. by the way, the hotel gives you free dine in in its restaurants if you book them 2 days in advance.. but the free dine in menu is pathetic. My advise, never go for it...the breakfast buffet at senso is amazing with a lot of variety.. however u have to be careful about the sparrows pecking on your food! since ours was a half board package, we had to order lunch. the room service was pathetic... either they forgot about your request or took so long that by the time the stuff u needed arrived, you had already made alternate arrangements.. the beach looked amazing but was very rocky... the management generally was laid back.. everything (including water) was very expensive... my advise, select a centrally located hotel which is closer to all places you want to visit and provides better service..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Kritika M,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. It is the most valuable tool for us to improve our quality of service.
I have reviewed carefully your comments and would like to take this opportunity to shed some light on them.
Our standard check out time is 12pm and Check in time is from 2pm. From our records I can see that your room was made available around 2:40 pm. I do apologize if we were not able to give you the room at 2pm as the hotel was fully booked and we had many early arrivals meaning that we prioritize the rooms based on the time the guests arrive in the hotel to be as fair as possible.
Our Housekeeping team is always delighted to provide any additional amenities should you have forgotten to bring yours. We do not place the toothbrush and toothpaste in each guest room, but those items are always available.
Our Buffet restaurant, Senso, has a different theme every night and we try our best to cater for each and every taste. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef to look into our food selection in depth.
Our other A la carte restaurants are to be booked one day in advance as we have limited seats available. However should the restaurants not be full on the day, we are delighted to book you in. Some restaurants are extremely popular, especially our Indian restaurant Veda and therefore it might be more difficult to get a table there.
We are currently working on a solution to prevent birds from coming inside the restaurants during meal periods.
I have also shared your comments about our Room Service with our Food & Beverage Manager as it is not acceptable at all to read that we were not able to deliver the right order on time.

I still hope you brought some fond memories of your Honeymoon back home and wish to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future for your wedding anniversaries!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Intercontinental will surprise you all. we had booked the deluxe room with a private jacuzi terrace and we are very much happy with our choice. The staff are very competent and welcoming, the resort is well maintained and although it's not the best beach on the island(little rocky), the view is still spectacular!
The buffet offered for breakfast was vast and catered to all taste buds and there were several options for dining at night- multicuisine, indian, asian etc. They have the weekly sega dance night on wednesdays and fashion show(white night) on fridays which was also very amusing.They also have their shopping centre inside the hotel which an be quite helpful for last min shopping.
Lovely experience.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Do rem to take the one with the private jacuzi. Totally worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NKP_01,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed every moment of your stay in Mauritius.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Bear with me - might be a long review but worth reading if you are going to part with some serious money to get to Mauritius!!

I had heard nothing but positive comments about Mauritius so hence decided to head out there (our first choice had been Hawaii). The reviews about the ICH were 'mixed' on this site but overall, they did seem positive so we took the plunge and booked up for a 12 night stay arriving on the 9 April on the ‘All Inclusive’ meal plan, definitely worth doing as everything is VERY expensive out there. We are a family of 3, 1 child aged 7.

Rooms:

We had booked a 2 bed family suite which was just 'OK' - a bit on the small side compared to other 5 star 2-bedrooms we have stayed in. It wasn't cleaned to the best standard but then we had already decided that we would upgrade to the Presidential Suite and spoke to Guest Relations about this. There are 2 guys on Guest relations who are excellent - Raj and Neel. They were extremely professional and very helpful throughout our stay. Thanks to both of them for looking after us.
The PS suite is ‘out of this world’ so well worth paying the extra money to get the upgrade if you can. The room is breathtaking, floor to ceiling ocean views, mezzanine master bedroom, a HUGE balcony and two additional huge roof terraces, one with a hot tub and rain shower, oh, and a kitchen!
Unfortunately, our holiday went rapidly downhill after moving into this lovely room as my husband had his iphone stolen from our room! Yes, I know there is a safe in the room and yes, we should have locked the phone away, but, as I pointed out to the senior management there, we have stayed in many 5 star resorts around the world and have NEVER had a single thing taken from us. We were gutted and also starting to feel unsafe and unsecure in this resort so we slept with a chair held up to our door every night after that! The Exec Assistant Manager, Arnaud Esnault, did confirm that the hotel had sacked the guy who cleaned our room but the phone was never recovered. He also worked hard at trying to make our stay better but to be honest, we just wanted to come home after this.

Restaurants:

Service in the Senso (buffet) restaurant:
Simply appalling! Drinks orders are often wrong, delayed or just don’t turn up! It’s chaos in the restaurant, tables are not often cleaned properly and there are bird droppings (dried) on the chairs etc so not the cleanest environment. Birds peck at the breakfast breads/food every morning and it must be hard to control, but there just seems to be a very lapse attitude to this. One morning, they made a table up for us without cleaning the leftovers from the previous guests and also had fresh bird droppings on the placement mat!
The Segala sea food restaurant breakfast was not much better as we served hard boiled eggs masquerading as eggs fiorentine!! Not impressive so we never bothered to go back there again.
The Noble House Asian restaurant is NOT Asian – food was ‘average’ at best’ and did not taste like Thai food at all!
The Veda Indian restaurant was actually 5 star!! Excellent food, brilliant service and ambience, could not do enough for us. We went there after the burglary so I know they made it extra special for us but I sense that they have got it right in there.

Food:

The Indian food is consistently brilliant, despite the poor service from the waiters so we opted for that most nights. Breakfast selection is good in Senso, but the poor service lets the whole place down. One of the restaurant managers, Nitesh, was always helpful so try and find him! And they did provide a birthday cake for our daughter as she turned 7 out there.

Bars:

Generally OK, but again, you need to find a few good waiters and then the service is OK – Swadesh, Sam both great at the Barracuda bar.

Spa

This is definitely a 5 star Spa – good choice of treatments but very expensive, even for a 5 star hotel. Betsy is excellent in there as is Arun the Spa Manager.

The Beach:

Beautiful location but rocky/pebbly beach, not the white sands I had imagined (apparently, the best beaches are on the East side of the island). The sun loungers have the cushions left on overnight/all the time which means they get rained on and are covered with bird droppings. Even with a towel on top, I was not comfortable sitting on them knowing what was underneath! Every other 5 star resort I have stayed in has staff removing the cushions at night and replacing them in the morning. Swimming pools were fine.

Childrens club:

Very average – had limited variety of activities, consequently, our 7 year old did not go in very often. Staff, generally good.

Night entertainment – generally good, especially the Bollywood nights!

Overall, I think we just picked the wrong resort/hotel as so many people who have been to Mauritius have positive things to say. Sadly, our experience has put us off going back there again and Mauritius is a very ‘resort’ type of island so you need to get the hotel choice right. Arnaud Esnault, the Exec Assistant Manager, has only just started employment, seems very experienced and genuinely wants to improve things. Good luck to Arnaud and his team! For us, there are better resorts in the world with better value for money, without having to fly 12.5 hours from London to get there!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Presidential Suite if you can as it's definitely worth the extra money!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear ucdc12,

I wish to sincerely thank you for your very constructive feedback. Guest expectations and needs continuously evolve and you sharing your experience with us is the most precious tool allowing us to always adapt and progress.
We did meet on a few occasions towards the end of your stay and exchanged on your feedback in all areas.
As mentioned during our conversations, we have areas of improvement and are working on a daily basis to deliver Unique, Authentic and Enriching experiences to our guests.

I sincerely hope you will keep fond memories from your family visit to Mauritius and still hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again.

Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

We were at the Intercontinental Resort over Easter in April 2012 part of a wedding party.
We had an overall fantastic experience and I will summarise in a few salient pointers:
- the resort is on a secluded part of the lovely Mauritian beaches towards the northwest. The beach is somewhat rocky but the waters a clear blue and a beautiful setting. There are parts of the resort I believe that have better sandy beach but I was not able to visit.
- rooms are fresh and classy. Bed, bedding, bathroom, room amenities, space, etc are excellent and make the stay very welcoming and refreshing.
- closeby the hotel there is some great shopping too if that tickles your fancy...there is a place called arsenal where there are some interesting shops...negotiations are the order of the day though, so go well armed!
- activities and excursions are many. We had an excellent hotek driver, Deepak, with us everyday and his knowhow of the local scene is excellent. The seafood is spectacular and very authentic in taste in places we visited...very nice.
- Service is absolutely excellent. Before going I was somewhat apprehensive having read the reviews but for us it was great...very good service, attention to detail and personalised at every step. We had a great time and would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Resort Mauritius, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Nia1011,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
I have shared your comments with our staff and specifically with Deepuck, our limousine driver.
We are very proud of our staff and make sure we provide a Unique, Authentic and Enriching guest experience.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights for our honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The staff are very competent and welcoming, the resort is well maintained and although it's not the best beach on the island, the view is still spectacular!

This was the first time we had experienced a 'half board' package and found it to be extremely good value at this particular hotel. An extensive buffet was offered for breakfast and then several options for dining at night. Balaclava is near to most of the main tourist sites, however on visiting the ile aux cerf we found the east coast of the island to be more beautiful and we will probably stay there in future. But couldn't fault the intercontinental and plan to stay at this chain elsewhere in the world on our future travels :)

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Happydaystravelling6,

It is with great pleasure that I have been reading your feedback.
We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us and that you will use InterContinental for your future trips.
We hope to welcome you again next time you come to Mauritius even if it is for a day visit!

Best wishes,

Johannesburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have been a regular visitor to Mauritius for the last 20 years. I recenly stayed at the Intercontinental for 2 weeks with my family. The service was shockingly bad; waiting to be served, wait to receive order, incorrect orders received. This went on for the whole 2 weeks. I spoke to the Guest Relations Manager who was very pleasant and told me that a manager would see me to discuss my frustrations. No manager came to see me; infact I did not see any managers around. Really, really bad and incorrect reflection of Mauritius.
M Reddy

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr Reddy,

First of all I would like to apologize should you have felt that our staff members had an uncaring attitude. It is a great disappointment to read that you met one of our Managers and that no follow up was done afterwards. Unfortunately there has been a communication break down as I have never been informed of your issues.
We have failed to deliver on our guest promises and I would like to present my most sincere apologies.
I have shared your comments on our outlets with our Food and Beverage Manager and an Action plan has been put in place to improve our quality of service, accuracy of orders and efficiency.
It is definitely not a true reflection of our quality of service either.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again as you are a frequent guest of Mauritius so that we can show you the real InterContinental Hospitality.

Kind regards,

Executive Assistant Manager

Been to InterContinental Resort Mauritius? Share your experiences!