“Beautiful Hotel, best staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Turtle Bay Resort & Spa, Mauritius

You added The Westin Turtle Bay Resort & Spa, Mauritius to your Saves list
The Westin Turtle Bay Resort & Spa, Mauritius
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Turtle Bay, Balaclava, Mauritius (Formerly The Grand Mauritian Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
“Beautiful Hotel, best staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Westin for two weeks from 6th to 20th December. We have been to many hotels on all different sides of the Island and can honestly say the Westin, has the most beautiful and well groomed gardens. The set up of the hotel has been well thought out.
We requested a room near to the main pool and gym, we stayed in room 410 on the first floor. The rooms are large and well appointed. I haver never slept so well on holiday, the beds are really heavenly. We had a Lovley view over the gardens, swimming pool to the sea,(except when a huge marquee was set up, more about that later)
We spent most days on the beach, between the swimming pool and sea, so to have both options to swim in. After a long day in the sun, we would use the gym and spa facilities, which are adequate.
We ate at all four restaurants and never had a bad meal. The food is fresh and well prepared, from breakfast, to lunch to dinner. We were on and all inclusive basis and feel this is the best option, as the Hotel is not near to any shops, and drinks are expensive.
The Staff
The staff is what sets this resort far above many we have been to. From the concierges, to reception, cleaners, gardeners all the way to management, made you feel welcome, and no request was not promptly taken care of, even requesting extra bathrooms towels or a new TV remote was sorted out in no longer than ten minutes. I asked for early room make up and early evening turn down, this was done quite happily, by the staff.
Eddie and his staff at the main pool are a delight, nothing is too much, from brining your drinks, to moving your umbrella or bed chair. Thank you for making our stay, that much better.
Laura from the beach Restaurants, thank you for your smile and excellent service, even remembering our favourite Rose.
My one gripe, is the erection of a huge marquee, over the seating of the main pool. This made that section out of bounds from the Thursday until we left on the Saterday for a private function. I don't feel it's fair to paying guests of the Hotel.
Would we return, without a doubt.
All in all a great two weeks, thanks to the Westin and staff.

Room Tip: Rooms near the main pool are near to all amenities.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The Westin in Turtle bay is the perfect choice for a trip to Mauritius. The facilities are unbelievable and the service is first class. There is such a warm and relaxed feeling in the resort that it makes you as a guest switch off and enjoy the special setting.

The resort is perfect for families with young kids. Staff understand the needs and even where there is something extra that you may require the Westin team delivered. The rooms are spacious and modern. They easily fit a camp cot and an extra bed. The main pool area was our second home and it is was just perfect.

Whilst we did encounter some teething issues due to the resort and the team being new, those problems were addressed with the highest standards of professionalism that those issues were quickly forgotten.

A special mention to Mahen, Eddie, Rudi, Richi and of course the Mr Ramon. Thanks for giving us a holiday we will never forget.

Will definitely be back soon and will spread the word of how good Westin Turtle Bay is.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I chose this Hotel because I am an SPG member and a huge fan of the Westin and W brands and have stayed in countless of their hotels around the world. I was really looking forward to this trip and it started as a total disaster.

My room was in block 14 up several flights of stairs which was so far from the reception area and restaurants that you either had to walk quite a distance in the blazing sun or rely on the Hotel to come fetch you in a golf cart. Neither of these options appealed to me and I requested a room change. At first reception told me they were full and I couldn't move. However a second person then sat down and after a few clicks found the same category room much closer to the main pool and restaurants and I was moved. I guess if you really want to look you can find something. Also I booked a rate that was their opening special rate which included an amenity on arrival and welcome gift. Needless to say I received neither of these. After waiting in the original room for an hour a golf cart came to pick up the luggage and move us to the new room. When the bags arrived one had a big black grease stain on it and the second a long line of mud. It had been raining earlier and presumably the way they stacked the bags on the golf cart resulted in my bags getting covered in mud and grease. For a 5 start hotel this is not acceptable and they should consider wrapping the bags with a plastic sheet or similar to protect them. The second room was well located but the problem with this room was an extractor fan in the bathroom that made a loud droning noise all night. Needless to say I lay awake the whole of the first night ready to check out the next day. After mentioning it to the Hotel they sent maintenance to the room on the second day and they managed to make it silent. By now into the second day the holiday could finally start. The main areas are summarised below:

Bedroom: The room I had was simply furnished. I liked the look of dark woods with the white linen. There is plenty of cupboard space and ample hangers. The room is also a very good size and there is also a desk and chair. The heavenly bed is wonderful and after the extractor was silenced I did have a good nights rest on it. The room has a mini fridge and also an illy coffee machine.

Bathroom: This is very tastefully done. The vanities were split into two on either side of the bathroom so a separate corner for his and hers. The bathtub is large and inviting. Both the toilet and the shower were separated with their own doors. The shower is fantastic and I miss it already. It was large with both a rainforest head and a handshower mounted on the wall. The pressure was really good and after long days in the sun there was nothing better than a cold high pressure shower with their green tea aloe toiletries.

Housekeeping: I found this to be inconsistent. One day I came back from breakfast to find I had no towels in the room. On another occasion I came back to find when they cleaned the room they removed the toilet roll and didn't replace it with anything. So I had to call for that. Then when I ran out of tissues I was told that there weren't any in the pantry and as soon as they get they'll bring to the room. To their credit they did deliver a box of tissues later in the day. Again for a 5 star hotel to not have tissues in the pantry is not acceptable. I understand the hotel is new but there are huge teething problems with housekeeping.

Beach and pool: This is the hotel's redeeming feature. Eddy and his team including Kevin and Kavi are awesome and are the Hotel's best assets. Pool loungers are in abundance and there is no need to go early in the morning to "reserve" your spot like at some resorts. Eddy and his team make sure everybody is seated and have the right amount of sun or shade that they desire. The towels are thick and fluffy and the cocktail menu is over 25 pages long and one of the most extensive I have ever seen. The loungers are new and very comfortable. The main pool is very large with both shallow and deep sections and the water is the perfect temperature. The beach is also set up with loungers and umbrellas stretching across the whole beach. The sand is a bit coarse with pebbles and stones but it's still acceptable. The second pool is much smaller but serves the needs of the guests on that side of the Hotel. If long days at the pool and beach is what you're after then this is the perfect Hotel for you.

Boathouse: Not the friendliest or most welcoming place but they have kayaks, paddle boats, glass bottom boats, snorkelling and other activities available.

Restaurants: I only ate at the buffet restaurant Seasonal Tastes each day. I can't fault their breakfast. However I find the supper may not appeal to all tastes as the influence is heavily Asian. There are often one or two pizza or pasta dishes and then a dish or two that's a bit more simple such as roast chicken, beef wellington, steak etc. However to my mind if you are not into Asian or Italian food you will probably find 1 to 2 dishes max that you can eat. For a Mauritius holiday where you expect large buffet dinners with variety; having two dishes available could be limiting to some guests. One in my party really struggled to find food that she liked. Not once in 7 days was there a traditional style roast or carvery with vegetables etc. I think the restaurant should reconsider their menu and add more western and traditional style foods as opposed to all the Asian and curry dishes they currently offer.

Other gripes: the fire alarm was tested twice during my stay. Guests were not advised about this and in my block the fire alarm went off at 8am one morning. I overheard another guest with a 4 month old baby complaining that in their block the fire alarm went off at 7am. Those times are ridiculous and there was no prior warning or communication. The Hotel was hosting a year end function for a local bank and erected a marquee and closed off part of the pool two days before the event. The marquee almost completely blocked the view from my room and losing half the pool for two days was also a huge inconvenience.

After the unpleasantness of the first stay, the holiday did improve. The resort is very beautiful and peaceful. And while I was very unimpressed in the beginning, over the course of the week they did win me back somewhat and I still had a really good holiday. I believe the Hotel has a lot to work on and hopefully some of these issues will improve with time.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor room close to the main pool and restaurants
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I came here with my sister for 3 days. It's a gorgeous hotel, very clean, food was amazing. The staffs are very welcoming & helpful. A special thanks for Mahen for being so accommodating. Azagen, Ajay & Sashi exceeded our expectations. Nitish & kailash (housekeeping)thanks for the big favours & Arvin (laundry) for driving us to the spa when it was raining. We had a great time & you will all see us back! :)

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Can't fault this hotel on amenities. Rooms are excellent, beds outrageously comfortable and pools fantastic for families.

Where they are severely lacking is in the service department. At almost every meal we had an issue. It does become tiresome after a while complaining all the time. The managers did however try their best to make it correct where possible. Without one of 2 key members of staff it would have been a disaster.

If they could get the service right then it would be a world class property. More staff and better training is all that is needed.

Stayed December 2014
Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Recently visited over the festive period with my other half and this hotel was wonderful! The staff were great, most especially Kevin (in the pool area) and Pamela (in the Executive Club lounge). The restaurants and food served were great but a little clarity on the full board package prior to booking would have helped. Arrived on Sunday afternoon and the check-in process seemed a bit too complicated. Got attended to by about 4 members of staff which took about 45mins to settle into the room. I guess these are the teething issues with a brand new facility. Nonetheless, I recommend this resort to all who love a peaceful stay in Northern Mauritius, delicious food, great service and the 'heavenly' bed!! :) :)

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are the best!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I have just returned from Mauritius having spent 12 days at this hotel on their "all-inclusive" package (which is very good value for money).

In summary, the hotel has just been refurbished to an exceptionally high standard, the food is excellent and the staff are always smiling and genuinely want you to have a fantastic time. I will talk a little about a few of them as how they served us gives a great idea of whether or not you will enjoy this experience...I dare anyone not to!!

Eddy - Beachfront Manager. Running a team of every helpful people to look after the pools and beach, he greeted several times during the day, engaged us with conversation and at every turn, knowing we were on an all inclusive basis, suggested that we might like a little extra of this, one of the "leather bound bento boxes" for lunch, each kitted out with a space for cutlery, small tomato ketchup / mayonnaise pots and an a la carte menu for what was inside, and even had his guys clean our sunglasses one day whilst on the sun lounger - brilliant and never happened before!

Ajay - a Senior Food Manager - superb again, always checking without over "checking". Most Saturdays, they put a bbq lobster evening on the beach and when we asked about this, unfortunately, the Saturday we stayed, they were not running it. He told us this but instantly said without us asking that it would be his pleasure to do that same on an individual basis for us on the beach. Cannot ask any more!

Laura - Head Waitress at the Beach Café (full service, a la carte menu including fresh bbq to order fish, steak and chicken). Greeted with a big smile, her service was impeccable, remembering our room number and surnames from day 1 onwards. Really excellent!

Kavi, Kevin and Ruddy - part of Eddy's team, each always said hello, before ensuring we were properly looked after with various cocktails, towels, chat and fun. Kavi, we learned, is an amateur magician, Kevin a Mauritius under 21 Basketball Team player (good luck against the Seychelles) and Ruddy had spent some time in Canada where my wife is from. None were pushy, just very helpful and ever thoughtful. Really great guys.

Pravin - one of the waiters in the Kangan Indian Restaurant - big smile, careful and attentive service and even treated us to a dessert when to be honest, we could not eat any more. The food there was delicious.

Tony and Anuresh - responsible for the most amazing cocktails that were works of art - try the L'Ossieau Paradis (very colourful, three layers of coconut milk, blue curacao and various other liqeurs) to the Miss Tik and Lava Flow...strawberries, bananas, ice cream and various liqeurs...delicious!!

Each of the chefs...who engaged at every opportunity and cooked fresh, delicious food.

What was so great about all these people (and all the other staff) was that they actively looked for things to help you or serve you to make your stay the best...real ambassadors for the hotel and the brand.

All I can say is...a very big thank you to them all!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are superb!!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Turtle Bay Resort & Spa, Mauritius? Share your experiences!