“Stay at your own risk!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waterloo
Lockport, NY
“Stay at your own risk!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

I wanted to post something about the experience I had recently at the Holiday Inn-Waterloo. First of all, I would not recommend this place to anyone, unless you want to take a chance on being ripped off! Four of us were planning a trip to the Finger Lakes back in March. We decided to book something as early as possible, due to wanting rooms with kitchenette style amenities. I went directly to the Holiday Inn - Waterloo website to look at their rooms, as I have stayed with Holiday Inn previously, for business as well as pleasure. They did have king size rooms available, and for an extra fee per night, you could get upgraded to a room with a fridge, microwave, and such. This was what we were looking for. I booked two rooms, and received a confirmation number. We arrived at the hotel on August 10, and when we went to our rooms, they were older rooms with just a king size bed. Upon returning to the front desk, we were told by the desk manager Joanne, that they do not have any type of rooms at that hotel with fridges and microwaves. I showed her my confirmation, and she stated "oh, you booked that on line. We're not responsible for what it says on the website". What?? I could not believe that she said that. Needless to say, we were all extremely upset. We were able to have a mini fridge brought to one of the rooms due to a medical need, but that far from resolved the situation! We were not going to stand there and argue with this woman, so I tried to call the reservation line. They were also telling me that that was not what I had booked, when I had it right in front of me in print! At that point we gave up until we returned home to contact the G.M of that hotel, as well as corporate. That was 3 weeks ago, and I have yet to get a response. Another thing that happened at check-in... an elderly couple came in, and they had also made reservations ahead of time. The front desk could not "find" their reservations, and these poor people had to pay a much higher rate in order to keep the room. Stay at this hotel at your own risk!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Being ripped off on the rooms we had booked.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
nh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

Stayed here overnight while touring Seneca only because all the Geneva hotels were booked.

Room way too pricey--$168 with tax.

Overall hotel seemed old and rundown.

Rooms--the bathroom floor and even the carpets were sticky--we didn't walk around barefoot here.

Luckily we were only there for about 12 hrs so it was not horrible but the cost was a killer!

Ate at a restuarant called Hadley's--very good! Definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Mebane, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

I was pretty unimpressed by this hotel. First the good - the pool area and tennis courts are very nice and well maintained. The front desk staff was good. The location is good for anyone interested in the Seneca Falls/Waterloo area, only about two miles from downtown Seneca Falls. There are several restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. The beds and pillows were comfortable. Now for the bad - there are two huge landfills 1/4 mile or so from the hotel, so when the wind blows from that direction, the smell can be a little overpowering. The rooms were extremely expensive - 140 a night. There were no refrigerators in the rooms. Overall, the hotel seemed a little worn out.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fairfax, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights with my husband. I'v read reviews of this hotel on the internet so my expectations were pretty low. I cannot believe there were people who actually rated this hotel high. Obviously, they must've never been to any decent hotels in their life time.

Exterior: plain old 2-story buiding, large parking lot

Interior: again, everthing seem old, no elevator

Room: doesn't look as old as hallway or front desk area, carpet and furnitures seemed not as dated, bathroom is another story, bathroom door seem like it was painted about 10 times over (just plain nasty), bathtub, toilet, sink...everyting was really old and not too clean

Fitness room: bigger than I thought, about 6-7 equipment with a TV, also had a dry sauna, this room is connected to whirpool room (it wasn't dirty but it didn't have clean feel to it either, very old tiles)

Service: 1) quick response to a call regarding internet connection problem (my room had a faulty ethernet cable so someone had to bring new cable to us but after we changed the cable, it was working fine.) 2) Free coffee by the front desk was a joke. I went down around 8 AM in the morning and 2 regular coffee pots were completely empty. There were no sweetners, no stirrers. I had to get de-caf which wasn't even hot. 3) There is a fan running non-stop in the bathroom. It wouldn't get turned off when you turn off the light so we thought it was broken and called for service. At first, we were told that they'd send someone up. Waited for about 30 min., no one came so called again. At that point, we were told that the fan is not broken and that they run that fan during the day to circulate air in the building and that it'd be turned off at night. WRONG. That fan ran non-stop over night also.

Overall Pros: Free High-Speed internet (wired in the room) which most hotels now provide for free these days anyway

Over Cons: Entire property just have this run down, not too clean, wierd smell kind of feel to it. If you are city people like us who've stayed at 3 stars or more hotels in the past, you will not like this hotel at all. But I don't see many other choices around this area so, stay here if you absolutely have no other choice. There are Hampton Inn (Geneva) about 7-8 miles away which is so much better, newer, and cleaner. They were sold out for the weekend so we stayed here. What a nightmare.

• Liked — Free High-Speed Internet
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Poughkeepsie, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

We saw the advertisements for the New Year's Eve party at the Holiday Inn. The ad left out so information, so I called on Dec 31st during the day to ask questions. The girl at the desk told me that she didn't know anything about it, so she transfered me to the bar (Bouys). No one answered, so I dialed zero again. Again she tells me she will connect me to Bouys. I tried to tell her that there was no one there, but she was gone. Having nothing else to do that night, I had my husband call to make a reservation. She told him that we could just pay when we arrived. Okay.... We arrived at 6:30, knowing that the party started at 6. There were two other couples there. The two women at the front table were shocked that we didn't make a reservation, and had us walk over to the front desk to do so then.
For hors d'eouvres, they served carrot and celery sticks, two different "puffs" with unknown and unidentifiable contents, and cheese and crackers. They piped in music from the 40's. One table was so bored they were playing quarters to pass the time. They did have two bars set up on either side of the room. This was a nice choice. I never had to stand in line for a drink. The food was...basic. Two salads, one chicken dish, one salamon, one pork and very fatty prime rib. I can't tell you what was for dessert because by the time my dinner settled and I was ready for desert, they were gone. So I drank a lot of coffee. (There were 12 thermoses of coffee out).
For entertainment... in the grand ballroom they had a live band that was very good. Their timing was off- each time the dance floor would fill up they would break after that song and the floor would empty before they started their next song. They need to learn to be a bit more flexible with the song sets. If dancers are out there- keep playing!
In Bouys there was a DJ playing the worst music ever. We walked in and it was silent but for the music. No one was talking, laughing or just enjoying themselves. I think the music stunned them into zombie-like trances. He went from Rob Base to Kidd Rock to MC Hammer to Def Leopard to Fergie.
All in all, don't do it!!! If you find yourself stuck in Seneca Falls for NYE as we did, drink at home or at Red's and walk yourself over to Antonina's (or McDermott's depending on who you talk to ) and watch the ball drop.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2007

We stay at this hotel a couple of times a year and this visit was by far the best. You can tell the hotel has had extensive renovations, all new deco, the rooms look great. we loved the new mattress sets I asked the desk clerk where we could buy one for our home. My husband is a fitness freak and after his work out he came back to the room and told me it was all new equipment. The best is it’s location an outlet mall for me is about 7 miles up the road, the wine trailers are very close by and the two villages Seneca Falls and Waterloo both with lots of history are 3 mile in ether direction. We like the staff the most very helpful and friendly. They know us by name and look forward to our visits. The Holiday Inn Waterloo is th only hotel we will stay at when visiting the Finger Lakes.

Stayed November 2007
Olean, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We booked a suite for over $300 per night. The room was nice but singularly the filthiest hotel room I have ever had-hair in tub, dirty toilet, wall spattered with trash near garbage canister. It was visible that the room had not been vacuumed so I called front desk for a vacuum and cleaning supplies to do it myself. Upon returning these items, front desk staff just said, "You all done?" Also, wedding gift bags left for our party were given to attendees of another wedding, we never recieved them.

Stayed August 2007

Been to Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls? Share your experiences!