“We won't be back” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Waterloo
Ottawa, Canada
“We won't be back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We have stayed here for outlet shopping trips over the years. This time our room smelled of stale smoke and it was a non-smoking room. It was obviously was a smoking room at one time, probably back in the 90's judging from the decor. The hotel was full so we could not change rooms if we wanted to. The door to the room had a gaping space and we could see out to the hallway. On this particular stay, we found the room to be dusty and dirty. The coffee machine in particular was extremely dirty. The breakfast buffet has deteriorated in terms of the content and variety in past couple of years. On the plus side, the staff are always pleasant. Finally, I must comment on the smell from the Mound Road dump. I know it is no fault of the hotel but the stench of methane and rotting garbage nearby could be smelled even in our room. I am seriously concerned for the health of the residents near this dump. We will not return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear twigloo,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room condition, cleanliness and food selection. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Hughesville, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The rooms here are rather expensive. However, all the other hotels in the area are priced higher. The decor has not been updated in some time, but the room was clean and the hotel staff was very friendly. But whatever you do, don't go to the restaurant. There was only one waitress for a Saturday night. There was a hostess that was about as ditzy as they come. We asked for water three times. I ended up getting the ketchup myself from another table. At what point they ended up calling a janitor to help wait tables.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
AnthonyM71, Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to post a review of Our Heritage Café. I take pride and value all of our guests that join us at our hotel’s restaurant.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the negative experience you had at our hotel’s restaurant. Having read your review I am very disappointed by the experience that you had. This does not reflect the high standards that we hold here at Our Heritage Café.
You had stated that there was one waitress for the evening and that you had waited for water and grabbed ketchup from another table which I find unacceptable. I should have been more prepared that evening in making sure the restaurant was covered to service all our guests to the highest standards. I can assure you after talking to my team that this experience is one that we will learn from going forward.

However, I hope that you will come back and stay with us and most importantly dine with us again so we can show you what service really means. I would also like to speak to you directly so please ask for me.
Ontario, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel itself was not bad ! The staff was very pleasant, Until we sat In the onsite cafe for diner !! I made a simple request, the waitress was very nice and respectful, But apparently the hotel chef did not like having to go out of his way. With the few choice words that could clearly be heard at our table, It was obvious that he does not like doing anything extra. Considering we were the only 2 people in there at the time, I would have thought that a small, special request would have been an easy feat. But Apparently serving hot food was an issue for him as well. Food was nice and cold when it arrived !!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank-you for taking the time to post a review in regards to our hotel’s Restaurant. I truly value all of our customers that join us in Our Heritage Cafe and I do apologize for the unacceptable behavior from our cook that evening. As the hotel’s food and beverage manager I can let you know that the issue was handled and addressed after hearing about your poor experience.

It is important to me and our hotel management team that all of our guests that join us in our restaurant are treated with outstanding service. I truly enjoy taking care of our guests and want every customer that dines with us leave happy.

If you do come back to join us in the future I would love to have the opportunity to meet and speak with you face to face. I hope to see you again in the near future.
Waterloo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here for three nights after finding a deal online. Large room; king bed with small refrigerator & microwave. For an older hotel (and a Holiday Inn at that), I found the room to be clean & comfortable. Room located on second floor next to stairway, so was a convenient walk. The only reason that I wouldn't give the stay five stars were for a few issues:
- First night: Refrigerator didn't have a on/off knob, and had no way to turn it on. Called front desk, and they had to send maintenance up to turn appliance on from the back.
- Second night: Arrived back at the hotel late evening in a driving rainstorm. Key card would NOT work in entrance A. Had to walk to the front desk and wait 40 minutes to have key card reset. Huge hassle & inconvenience.
- Same night: A local was nice enough to back into the front of my rental car. Not the hotel's fault, but smelled alcohol on the driver's breath. Possibly drinking in the hotel bar.
- Morning of check-out: Brought first set of belongings down to car. Again, key card would not work in entrance A to allow me back into hotel. Wait at front desk wasn't as long, but still an unnecessary waste of time. To hotel: Please solve the card key issue!! You charge WAAAAY too much for accomodations for nonsense like this to happen.

I would stay at this hotel again, if I could find a deal on the price.

Room Tip: If you are interested in a hotel with a free breakfast, you won't find it here. However, I did m...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Linda K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn of Waterloo - Seneca Falls, NY and thank you for the feedback on TripAdvisor regarding your experience during your recent stay.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. Your comments allow us to target problem areas and take actions to ensure similar situations will be avoided in the future.

We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with your refrigerator-microwave and the key card entrances. We have the maintenance department looking into this to get it resolved.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your lodging needs in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I read all the reviews prior staying at this hotel, so was expecting a very different experience. For $120 US dollars for one night, I thought the room would at least be immaculate.

When we arrived, we were told we would be in a room with 2 double beds, and when I asked whether an upgrade was possible, the person told me they had just gotten on shift so didn't know, and since I booked online there was nothing she could do anyway. Not a very professional response.

When we got to our room (124), there were some upgrades evident (tv, drapes, lighting, mirrors). However- the bathroom was mostly old and grungy. Especially the tub and tub surround- neither my husband or I used it. During the night and in to the morning, a dog could be heard barking (down the hall somewhere I think), and it was very loud with other noises in the hallway at a very early hour.

We will not return to this hotel. The main concern with our experience was the cost for what we actually received. Was sub par from any other holiday inn we have stayed at. Our usual experience at less than this price includes newer rooms and free breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear ldesjardi,

Thank you for your recent comments about our Hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced due to the level of noise from our other guests, condition of the room accommodations and if you felt you did not get a good value for your stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations as well as competitive rates to the area. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We hope to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel always is accommodating, clean, and has VERY friendly staff! Their rooms are always very well kept along with their spa and pool area! Definitely would recommend staying here for any occasion!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda K, General Manager at Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for the nice review!

We are very pleased that our cleanliness and service were a pleasant surprise.

I will be sure to share your review with all of our staff; they pride themselves in having happy guests.

It is nice to hear that if your travels bring you back to the Finger Lakes area you will again choose our Holiday Inn.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. We had also stayed there in October 2012. Both times we have found the staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean. Desk clerk assisted us with restaurant suggestions. Our room had a refrigerator which was very convenient. We also enjoyed the choice of hard or soft pillows :) We were just off the lobby and found the hotel nice and quiet. There is no fan in the bathroom but the fan in the room kept it nice and cool. Prices are very reasonable. We stayed in Syracuse for the first night of our shopping trip and we are now considering making Holiday Inn Waterloo our choice for both nights on our next shopping trip. Thanks!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the fantastic review!

We are very pleased that you returned and had another pleasant experience and shared your experience on TripAdvisor.

The Holiday Inn slogan of “Great hotels guests love” is something that we strive to achieve everyday and we are proud that you loved your experience at the Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls!

It is nice to hear that when your travels bring you back to the Finger Lakes area you will again choose our Holiday Inn. We look forward to your next visit!

Been to Holiday Inn Waterloo-Seneca Falls? Share your experiences!