“If you ever go to Egypt and you want the best luxury ever, this is the hotel for you” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay

Half Board Special
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Soma Bay
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I have travelled to many 5* hotels ranging from the Burj Al Arab in Dubai, Shangri-La Singapore, The Dorchester and Claridges in London and various other Four Season and top reviewed hotels around the world. I have visited a lot of the Kempinski brand hotels around India and other locations in the Asia Pacific but I have to say in my experience this has to be the best I have travelled to so far. Don't get me wrong the aforementioned locations are amazing but something has always held be back from recommending a revisit to them, once you have seen them I feel their is no reason to go back but the Kempinski in Soma Bay has it all and more.

I travelled here over the Christmas period in 2012.

When I got there every guest I met had religiously travelled there year on year and I wondered why this was, I now know after visiting this humble luxurious abode why that is. From the top the Management team consisting of Michael and George really know how to select the best in brand staff, location, facilities and ethos to orchestrate this fine hotel. I was welcomed with a service which felt it was exclusively tailored for us and the whole team saw to the fact that no request felt hard for them to execute in fact it felt like they were always ahead of my demands and had already arranged what I wanted and this goes to show the hotel really is an individual people centric focused place rather than treating us as a customer and thereby another number.

I had reservations about staying here with my young daughter and also I am a vegetarian and when I looked at some of the online menus although the food felt it was Michelin star quality I did not see many options for me and my family. But I was rest assured by Michael that they would do their best to cater for my individual needs and he managed my expectations on what they could exactly do for me. He was not exaggerating at all when he made that comment, all of his chefs including the famous Chef Thiru did so much for us in terms of customising our food requirements and also with the focus and determination of Bashir who headed up the dinning service we were always welcomed with food on the short notice, location and timings we gave them due to the fact that my daughter needed to eat early and not during the restaurant opening times. Take for example we wanted various restaurant (non standard room service menu options) food items in our room once but had to move the order to be delivered in 45 minutes rather than a few hours time and also to be served in our room, this was all implemented with 1 quick call to room service and it was all taken care of and the food arrived to our rooms as if they knew we needed it to be brought forward.

In terms of the room, well Michael suggested a connecting room for my daughter and was also kind enough to arrange a tailor made price and package for my requirements, the rooms together felt like we were living in our own secluded president suite in the middle of a hotel which had an abundance of facilities for us and my daughter (take for example the child bath robe which my daughter loved, just one of the small touches they will surprise you with - I will not list them all for you, you really ought to see it for yourself). The room house keeping was immaculate (it felt like we knew Samuel, the person designated to look after our room for ages and he was always on tap when we needed him, he was kind enough to get an amazing gift for my daughter on her birthday too) and the attention to detail meant I could not fault any part of the amenities and luxury the rooms had to offer.

The resort I have to say is placed on a beach which you would not normally find in Egypt or most parts of Africa (I have travelled to Mobassa, Nairobi, Cairo, Luxor, Sharm and other locations in Egypt and Africa many times). The sea and beach seem like it has been taken from a scene from the Maldives / Great Barrier Reef as you are welcomed by crystal clear water and a beach which is immensely well maintained with great activities to do on the beach including great snookering and dive facilities.

In terms of the service the front of house was equipped with personnel that simply know what you want and can literally deliver anything. My family and I were faced with a daunting situation where we missed our flight due to the fact that my daughter was ill and we forgot some items back in our room and so had to return to get them, the hotel was so efficient approximately 15 minutes after we left they spotted this and had a security stop point inform us of the situation and get us to come back. We had no assistance from the staff at the airport to remedy the situation and on arrival back to the resort it seemed like all our options on what we could do were already researched and put in front of us by the team at the Kempinski Soma Bay thereby allowing us to make an informed decision on how to proceed. Michael and his team had already made arrangements for our rooms to be done up and our extended stay to be so comfortable it felt like we had never left. His executive staff Nina, Asmaa and Dalia worked non stop to call all the travel agents and airlines to get us back on the next flight to the UK and if it weren't for them Christmas would have been spoilt and we would have had to wait a week to officially come back home due to the inefficiencies and underhand business of the Airport and Tour Operators in Hurghada.

I could really go on with describing probably some of the best memories of my life that I have had here but I just want to leave the readers with enough poignant information to make you decide on whether this is the place for you.

My family and I miss this place already and are planning to go back soon and so far with the long list of 5* hotels we have stayed at we have never recommended this action so far.

Room Tip: We stayed in some Sea View rooms which felt like President Suites, I really cannot imagine how the L...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MichaelSchibler, Resident Manager at Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay, responded to this review, January 24, 2013

WOW!
We are so touched from your very warm guest comment.
Thanks a million!
Rest assured, we have shared your great feedback with our team and we hope to see you and your family in the near future.

Sunny regards from Soma Bay

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Amazing place to stay with the family we all enjoyed it ,swimming , snorkeling , relaxing .....food was excellent .stuff very helpful & friendly.
Lovely place.... My kids loved the beach activities , you can rent all what u need for diving and playing at the beach

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir,

Great that you enjoyed your stay with your family with a lot of new experiences, activities and culinary highlights!

Indeed, Soma Bay is a Heaven’s Place on Earth!

Kind regards

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Styled along the lines of an oasis this hotel has very comfortable and exceptionally clean rooms. Massive towels are changed twice daily. Free non-alcoholic mini bar and unlimited bottled water. If you are a coffee lover you have to rely on room service at typical international prices.
Make sure you map out the way to your room - this is a big place! The architecture may make you feel lost but it is at the same time beautifully designed, airy and spacious and nicely landscaped.
Some pool activities and a small gym are available. The ubiquitous beach bar, very nice, and a poolside restaurant for lunch.

Abundant and delicious buffet breakfast.& dinner along with a la carte menu in the main dining room. Ask to be seated outdoors close to the railing for a nice view over the garden and sea.
Hint: You may find lunch superfluous if you partake of the buffet breakfast and dinner.

The Asian restaurant is also nice for a change of pace.

Pleasant service all the way from reception to beach.

We stayed in November 2012 and although occupancy was reasonably high there was ample room on the beach.
Don't expect to much in the way of entertainment. Live music in the bar at night was mediocre as was the small hotel shop.

If you need little necessities of life like mosquito repellent and potato chips ask for directions to the mini-market in the little shopping area adjacent to the hotel (yes, you need directions - it's behind a garage). Don't worry if the shops are closed - there is always somebody around who will get the shop keepers on their cell and they will appear within minutes. Edward at the market went out of his way to get me medicine from Hurghada.

What I remember most was the unsolicited little personal niceties performed by the staff. It gave this otherwise super efficient, slightly impersonal establishment a human touch.

If you want total relax, peace, quiet and a smooth running facility - this is the place. As somebody else mentioned - even the little kiddies are well behaved.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

A great hotel in wonderful place that offers superb food, great snorkelling, fabulous weather and most importantly hospitality that is seond to none! We were looking for a relaxing break and some winter sun. we barely saw a cloud in the sky. The food is as good as the views are on the website. In terms of locality to the airport it is within 45mins and teh flight time to london is a very reasonable 5hrs.

Room Tip: i would suggest having a room on the first floor or higher they are a little more expensive but well...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We recently returned from a 10 days‘ stay at Kempinski Soma Bay, our second time there. I usually do not like to go back to a place that we liked very much, fearing that it won’t be as good as the first time.
This time we even went the 6 of us, with 2 friends couples, who had booked on our recommendation - therefore a heavy liability on our shoulders !
But Kempinski Soma Bay was paradise again !
We would very much like to thank all staff, George Ganchev and his team, for yet an other wonderful sojourn !!
We very much enjoyed staying with you !
The resort, rooms, beach, sea, food are still excellent, staff are doing a truly great job !
The resort is very nice, very well kept.
Rooms are clean, everything working well. We had a room with beautiful direct sea view.
Beach and sea very nice, two house reefs very close to the beach, easily accessible, fun and interesting even twice a day !
Dinner was buffet style. I am normally not a big fan of buffets, as I only eat what I like and I end up eating the same every day. Not here ! The choice of Western and Oriental food is so big, so delicious and so nicely presently by wonderful chefs – what else can you wish for ?
Truly marvelous is breakfast on the terrace, the view, the setting, the light wind, the shaded sun, the delicate choice ! You have to have been sitting there to know what I mean !
We are very experienced travellers, for business and holiday, and we have stayed at some very great hotels of this world, e.g. The Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, The Peninsula Hongkong, The Grand Hyatt Shanghai, The Nam Hai Vietnam etc etc. So we know what to expect where at what price level – and at Kempinski Soma Bay you do get great value for your money, believe me !
Our friends also liked the Kempinski Soma Bay very much, we all agreed that we want to come back !
Thank you all !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
la rippe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We recently got back from the Kempinski Soma Bay Egypt.This was our 4th visit.
What you can count on:good bed,good food,sun but sometimes a bit windy,a clear sea and a good rest.
At this time of the year there are mostly older people or couples with very young children, all reasonably well behaved.
We are usually in building 4 (room numbers start with 4) which is halfway the main building and the beach.
In this building is also the Laguna Club,a bit more chic where you can have your meals if you wish and if you have a room there.
The buildings with rooms are in a U form and on the other side ,buildings 6 7 and 8 are sometimes bothered by loud music from the Robinson Club, a club hotel with younger people and many sports activities.
We spoke to the Swiss director about this and he assured us he has taken and will take this subject to the Robinson management.
There are interesting day trips to Louxor and two Copt convents.
There are no daily newspapers so you either get them on your ipad(reception in the main area) or at the Sheraton,a 20 minutes walk.Wifi in your room is nearly non existent.
The staff have been very well trained,are helpful and work extremely hard.
At the front desk ,however busy they were, they were always ready to print my mails or to organise transport.
There is some night entertainment,but I would not go to this hotel for the night life.
Hurghada is 40 minutes away for shops and in the Cascades Hotel there is a good shop for everything you might need.
There is an excellent spa at the Cascades,reachable by shuttle bus(5 minutes)
We shall certainly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: not on the Robinson side
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelSchibler, Resident Manager at Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Sir,

thank you for being guest in our hotel for the fourth time.

It is fantastic to see the loyalty of our guests due to the beautiful location and the great product- Kempinski Hotels.
Please be assured your fifth visit will be such enjoyable like the last ones.

Kind regards

Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We spent last week at The Kempinski. It was our 2nd visit and again it was a relaxing stay. From the minute we arrived everything was taken care of. The staff cannot be more helpful.
our room was extremely comfortable again with a great view from the bath. Every evening we had a wealth of choice at the buffet-lovely fish , steaks and even ostrich!
Breakfasts presented lots of choice.I enjoyed chatting to the guy at the omelette station. He made terrific eggs benedict while we discussed his hobbies. Hard to resist sparkling wine with your orange juice!
This year there seemed to be more water sports available at the marina. However our activity was swimming and walking along to the jetty or sand spit as we had come to unwind.
We would definitely return again and maybe combine with a trip to Luxor or Nile cruise.
If only all hotels were like this!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your second visit at Kempinski Soma Bay.
It is always great when guests share their memories and experiences they had in our hotel.
The water sport activities are offered by third supplied parties who are varying from time to time.
We are looking forward to welcome you back.
If you need any assistance in booking your trip to Luxor, you can contact direct our guest relation team. gr.somabay@kempinski.com

Thanks for being such loyal guests.

Best regards

Resident Manager

Been to Kempinski Hotel Soma Bay? Share your experiences!