“Almost...” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
ohio
“Almost...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

I think this is the kind of restaurant that drives me the most crazy.

It could have been *great* with only a few minor changes. As it was it was good, but really only adequate.

Our waitress was very friendly and attentive throughout, and that was the high point :)

The iced tea would have had a good flavor if it hadn't been so strong.
The jalepeno poppers would have been great if they'd provided a sauce.
The potatoes that came with our meal would have been fine if they had provided more than just butter and sour cream (I asked for them loaded).

My girlfriend ordered a NY strip and I ordered the steak a poivre. I ordered her steak "a little more than medium" and it came out a little less than medium. I thought it was a bit odd that the steak au poivre was a ny strip also. Usually that sort of dish is made with filet. But I figured I'd be happy enough with the strip.

Well it turned out the fact that it was a strip instead of a filet made very little difference. The cut of meat was good quality, but the sauce just ruined it.

I seriously wanted to go into the kitchen and show the cook how to make the sauce.

I think they just warmed up some beef stock and poured it on the steak. I couldn't even taste the wine. I'm not sure they put any in it. And they definitely didn't add enough flour to thicken the sauce. It was just liquid.

Just in case the restaurant reads this:

Deglaze the steak pan with wine - preferably a chardonnay for this dish. Melt some butter in a sauce pan and then add flour until it becomes a paste. Then whisk the pan dripping/wine mixture into the flour/butter mixture. Then add beef stock to thin it out to the correct sauce consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.

See? That was just as easy as making the sauce you made, but it would make the dish 1000 times better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“A great place for the whole family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

This is a great place. The atmosphere was great and the food was even better. The prices seemed a little high at first, but after tasting the food, you realize the price was worth it. I have 3 children ages 16, 5 and 1 ½ and the menu had something for everyone, even my finicky 5 year old. Our waitress was great. She joked with us and always knew if we needed something before we even started to look for her.
They are not located on the main drag in Victor so I am sure many people visiting the area don’t even know about it. We found it by looking in the hotel directory and then inquired at the front desk. It came highly recommended by the hotel staff and they were correct. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a great meal in a nice atmosphere.

muncy
“Ive seen better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

I have to say I was suprised that this was the #1 restaurant in the area according to the reviews on here.

The ambiance was nice, the waitress was attentive. They do have a very nice draught beer selection. However their food left alot of room for improvement IMO

On the positive side. the salad was fresh. However the entrees that all 4 of us had were substandard. Many of the side dishes looked and tasted like they just came out of a can.

All in all I was disappointed with this restaurant and while I am not in this area very often I will not likely be returning to it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
new york
“Love the Firehouse Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Mickey Finn's is the best place in Victor to settle in for an evening to have a great meal and meet friends. Friendly atmosphere, great food, good entertainment, good price. Highly recommended.

Finger Lakes Wine Country, New York
“Cheers has nothing on this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

Who needs a road trip to Boston when there's a fine neighborhood pub so close to home! Have been there often (before & after the ownership change) - it's a wonderful place to mingle with friends, kid with sweet bartenders and when you're in the mood, get down with fabulous music played by real local entertainers. Spent another evening there last night, sang & danced to the music of The Smoothtalkers, what a gas! The band had us rockin' and rollin' to the sounds of the 60's all night - and everybody in the place, and I mean everybody (all ages, all personalities) got into their grove. Now, the restaurant, it's serving good American Classic food, off a diverse menu that has something for everyone. The bartenders are special, and you should take a meal right there with them serving you on bar trays built to give you a great dining experience. Rember this is a local establishment, Eastsider's know it & love it (if you can judge from the crowds and the jovial discussions). Lotsa table seating, comfy chairs, a nice atmosphere too. Sure, some TV's with sports up for the gang that appreciates them (no sound), muted lighting creating a comfy environment, and music many nights of the week (many types, one-man bands occassionally & bigger bands on busier nights). Now look, don't let the music throw you, it generally starts late after 8 or 9 PM, anytime before then it's an easy place to dine/drink/converse with friends, I'm there with my wife often enough that we get a quick smile and a spirited conversation started with 'the help' before we're even seated. Well, there you go, that's been my experience, hope I see you there alongside me some day (hoisting a Guinness of some other fine brew)! ...now do me ONE favor - tell everyone you see working there during your visit that you REALLY think they should bring the Popcorn Machine back, it absolutely was the finishing touch that sealed the deal for bringing us regulars back time & again, LOL!