“Quaint yummy Italian” 2 of 5 stars

Cross street: Route 444
Rochester, New York
“Quaint yummy Italian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We recently moved to the area & were looking for a quaint yummy Italian experience. Unfortunately our hopes were way too high on Giovanni's. We immediately thought service was not up to par from the beginning, bartender told us she was new & needed to catch up (would have been completely fine until someone else stepped in). Bartender was very kind but never caught up. We are seated and proceed to order drinks and appetizers. On the menu, it offers "Chef's choice soup"; "Lobster Bisque" and "French Onion Soup". I inquire only to find out that tonight the only soup available is the Bisque, which I order, it's good but a bit watery. The main meal offerings are VERY basic, I order a pasta dish that is offered with Penne pasta. When my dish comes out, it's some sort of spiral pasta, we point it out to our waitress and she said "oh yeah, i noticed that too, if you don't like it let me know." Sorry, she should have said something before we did. As we left, there were 3 people standing at the front door, not one person said "goodbye", "hope you enjoyed your meal"; "Come again" or " [---]". Basically service absolutely sucked!! The fact that I took the time to write this should tell you something. Sooo much potential bur TRULY sucked and will not be back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York, United States
“Eh.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Giovanni's is going for an upscale casual experience. The décor fits and the outdoor dining area is kind of unique, being built against an old stone wall. We were seated at a table that was crowded into a dining area in the bar. Too close to other patrons! The food is good but overpriced and the server was stand-offish and slow.

Visited September 2012
“Confused...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were looking forward to our dinner at Giovanni's as we have gone there several times before and have had great Italian food...not the case this time.
We were unaware they changed their menu...Giovannis=Italian, right? Well..then WHY the ribs-coleslaw-burger, pork sliders-and much fewer upscale Italian dishes on the menu? (and no daily specials offered) We have always gone there expecting to pay a little more for great food and have been happy to do so!!!
Well, it looks like they've dumbed down their menu/prices to bring in a different crowd/clientele...let's say those who think Applebee's and the Olive Garden are fine dining.
To start our meal, we ordered two apps...calamari and arancini . The arancini were well prepared and a great starter. However, the fried calamari was less than exciting...a very small portion and brought to the table cold.
My main course was unexciting and my husbands was overly sauced and poorly executed. Not only did they miss the mark in taste, they were prepared at a snails pace...we waited way too long for less than average food. I could go on and on, but Ill save you the time.
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone looking for a great evening/dinner out.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Upstate N.Y.
“The busser was attentive. Maybe she should have cooked.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

She ensured our water glasses were always topped off, offered more bread when the basket was empty, was pleasant. We have been here a few times since I raved about this place last November. We sat on the patio, listened to some of the best melodic soft jazz I have heard in a restaurant. Ackkk! There was no lobster bisque. Our server told me you can't go wrong with steak. Yes you can. I ordered a strip rare with a side of Marsala, great sauce last 2 times, and still on the menu, but whoops, unavailable. After a very long wait I got a tough chunk of really salty meat- beef jerky?- that was wayyyyy overcooked. My spinach risotto may have been undercooked minute rice with lots of onions on some scattered spinach leaves. My mother-in-law had chicken french which had an unusual flavor but wasn't bad. My wife had prime rib, also a strange preparation, but also not bad. A mac and chz side was boring. Cole slaw was shredded cabbage with mayo. Wine was good. Service was slow. I guess I could rate this dinig experience higher, but my meal was such a disappointment I won't.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“So so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Have been to Giovanni's quite a few times and it seems to be slipping a bit.The service although friendly was not very attentive. The food was just okay but the lobster bisque is still Excelant.

Visited July 2013