“Interesting but not much to see” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 attractions in Victor
Type: Historic Sites
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A 17th Century bark longhouse replica honors the Seneca people who once lived here. Dozens of trails invite you to hike lands once traveled by our ancestors. Heirloom gardens and fields of native grasses are contemporary reminders of the land’s origins. Our festivals and special events share the culture of our people through dance, music, arts, sports, storytelling and other Iroquois traditions. Visit Ganondagan to discover the history and heritage of the Seneca people.
Rochester, New York
1,140 reviews 1,140 reviews
330 attraction reviews
“Interesting but not much to see”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I visited the Ganondagan because I am very interested in native American culture and artifacts. However, this attraction didn't hold my interest for very long. I visited during a "festival" that offered very few attractions, along with some very low-quality craft exhibits. The have constructed a Long House exhibit in the back of the field, which was built to offer an authentic view into the communal Indian lifestyle. However, even this was below my expectations, and my entire stay lasted less than an hour. I hope they continue to improve on this attraction, because I believe that their motives are good and that it is "the right thing to do." However, it's just not all there yet.

Visited December 2011

Rochester, New York
9 attraction reviews
“Native American museum a must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Take time to make time to attend this National and State of NY treasure when the annual summer festival is held. Many exhibitors of artifacts, hand crafted jewelry and beadwork and a daily agenda of lectures, dances and cultural learning.

Authentic long house with wonderul Native American interpreters. A wonderful experience for adults as well as children.

Visited August 2011
Buffalo, New York
37 attraction reviews
“Authentic and awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I took a group of teachers to Ganondagan this past summer for a professional development event - I have done this before as well as have taken my family there for day trips and it is one of the best places to learn about and absorb the history and culture of the Seneca people. The site itself (actually part of the State Park system) commands a breathtaking view of the surrounding area - atop Boughton Hill Road just outside Victor. The staff have done an amazing job of recreating a bark longhouse, a visitor center, and several themed hiking trails - there are special events thoughout most of the year (our family attended "An Encounter with LaSalle - really enjoyed it!) The interpreters are so helpful and sincere - it is an experience that really makes you stop and think about the human connection to the rest of the universe - inspiring!!

Visited July 2011