“A Happy find from Tripadvisor!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages

Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Verona Beach
Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages
You added Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages to your Saves list
6650 Lake Shore Rd North, P.O. Box 376, Verona Beach, NY 13162   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Verona Beach
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“A Happy find from Tripadvisor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We looked on Tripadvisor for a place to stay in Central NY near a lake and found the Dwarfline Cottages. I was intrigued by the variety of reviews so decided to take a chance. We certainly felt that a lot of the downside comments were unwarranted (at least to us) and that the upside was well stated. The location was vabulous, in a quiet spot by the woods at the shore of Oneida Lake, itself impressive. I can't speak for the rooms but the cottage we stayed in was vintage knotty pine and had everything one needs, very vacation-like. Keep in mind the Dwarfline is a private, non-chain establishment run by the owners so it won't have many of the common 'cookie cutter' things found in the name brands, but the uniqueness here more than offsets any of that and to us is a great find.

I would like to add that the owners provided us with personal attention and were knowledgeble about what to see and do in the area. Service like that is great to find. I am glad I found the Dwarfline on Tripadvisor and recommend the Dwarfline (and Tripadvisor) to other travelers.

Dustin

Room Tip: The cottage was very clean but I suppose if one expects 'hospital antiseptic' conditions the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

We took off on our annual 'end of the summer' jaunt after Labor Day and spent 2 nights at the Dwarfline based on recommendations from friends. We couldn't have picked a better place! The motel setting is unique in that there are no longer many places like it left. We found that the room, although smaller than average was clean, comfortable, and had all the amenities of the big, less personal chains. And just across the street was the beach and some of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen!

The owner Merle and her husband are very friendly and have quite a following of steady return customers. It was fun visiting with them. We will come back again.

• Stayed September 2012
Cochranton Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We traveled from Pennsylvania to Maine and decided to stop at Oneida Lake on the way home to explore the Erie Canal area. We arrived late and asked someone where a good place to stay would be. They sent us to the Dwarf Line Motel. They also said it was clean!!! That is all I wanted was a clean room!!! When we arrived we had to call the owner from a phone outside the office, she said she would be right there. When she arrived I ask her how much the room was and if they were clean. The room was 70.90 with tx. and Yes she said the room was clean. I should of left when I walked into the office....it smelled, was cluttered and needed cleaned!!!! The room was worse then the office!!!! Tired and not knowing where else to go we stayed. The people next to our room had children and they must of been jumping on the beds and yelling till 11 that evening. I think they were living at the Hotel. The room smelled musty, the beds were old, the floor was disgusting, the ceiling tiles were drooping down and you could see bugs in the light panels, I DO NOT recommend this place. The bathroom was very small and the ceiling was all drop ceiling light panels that were full of dead bugs!!!!! Stay somewhere else!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Verona Beach hotels

Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My experience with Dwarf Line began with an inquiring phone call. Of all four places I called to check availability, Dwarf Line was the only one that I did not have to leave a message as I did others. I actually got to speak with a real person right from the start. After reviewing the other places, I decided I got the best vibe from Dwarf Line. I vaguely remember staying there as a teen with my parents and other family members have stayed there as well throughout the years (my family has been coming to Sylvan Beach for 35 years now) with no complaints. The appeal for me is it's off the main drag but just close enough to drive to (about two minutes to the amusement park). There are no loud cars racing along the road blasting music, no people strolling past your bedroom late at night creating raucous, no sounds of parties and music from the bars along the main drag to deal with. This is a family-oriented establishment that has been around awhile and knows how to treat guests. Yes, it's rustic, 50's style but if you view the website you will know that already - hence no surprises.Yes there is dark paneled walls but if you knowledge yourself with photos from the website, it's not that big of a deal. Actually who uses a hotel room in a resort town like that for nothing much but to sleep anyways? If you enjoy Sylvan Beach (which is a true blast from the past) the Dwarf Line fits right in. I actually enjoyed the simplicity of it and friendliness of the caretakers - you don't get that in some corporate hotel establishment. The rooms were very clean and orderly. I like that every room has a coffee maker and a fridge - a must for us. There is a firepit, swingset, grill and a screened gazebo to enjoy a bit of the outside on a hot summer night. Yes, there are mosquitoes, as there would be in any type of beach town, so arm yourself with repellent and don't worry about it. Our family did not get bitten once while there and mosquitoes just love my daughter. We had no bugs in our room. The towels and sheets were clean and fresh. I could not hear a peep from the other guests in adjoining rooms - one thing's for certain, this 50's style hotel had better walls then brand new ones of today! My only complaint was the small sink. It was difficult to really wash up without making a mess and filling the coffee pot with water was a bit tricky. However, there would not be much room for a bigger sink anyway so we just roll with it - such an insignificant inconvenience but thought I'd mention it anyway. If you truly desire pure luxury and to wallow away in some huge fancy hotel room, then this is not the place for you. I, for one, do not intend to waste my time in the hotel but rather getting out and enjoying all that the town has to offer. We go to Sylvan Beach every year and usually rent a large cottage with our extended family. However, if the occasion arises again that I just need one room or small cottage, Dwarf Line will be my first pick!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

I had to respond when by chance I saw the last review. I stay with family each summer at Oneida lake and have stayed with the Dwarfline a number of times. While the nature of the lake and the state park is extremely beautiful it can also at times be quite damp due to storms and humidity and we just have to realize that we should get along with it.

It is true there are few places left like the Dwatfline, and it's too bad. They must operate on a very short season and can't afford to implement all the luxuries that these unhappy posters seem to expect (believe me, I know what being in business is like).

But if top end luxury is what one wants, they need to go to a top end resort. The Dwarfline (and the other charming places in that area) are not perfect but they provide much more. I haven't found another motel/cottage place where I can sit out by the fire at night with other friendly guests and owners, at the edge of the state forest after watching a brilliant sunset; and swim out front on a sandy beach under sunny sky.

No the rooms aren't perfect but they are clean and neat (never have I experienced must).The cottages are unique as are the grounds.The owners Merle and John treat you well and we will be back!

Room Tip: We liked it back by the woods
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed here August 2011 and was shocked to find such a place in the great USA. I live in Ireland and was visiting a friend in NY state, we were invited to a wedding and were advised to pre book this place which we did.We were the last of our party to arrive and I think we must have got the worst room in the place. My friend payed the deposit by credit card and the money was taken out of her account 2-3 weeks before we arrived. On arrival we were taken to the office and the balance was taken before we were shown the room. On entering the room there was a bad offensive smell and it lasted for our 2 night stay, anyone who came to our room commented on it and asked how we could put up with it. There was family involved in the arranging of this whole affair and so we didnt want to cause any bad feeling.
I am very prone to insect bites and was badly bitten by ??? insects after sleeping in this room and one corner smelt strongly of urine. The first impressions when walking into the room was it was very dark due to the dark panelling and dark decore, that I could have lived with if the place had been clean and fresh. You might wonder why I have taken so long to write this review but even after all these months I still cant believe there are such places, do these premises ever get inspected.If it had been a budget dirt cheap place it might have explained it but it was`nt. As I say never again and would advise everyone to stay clear.

Room Tip: dont go there
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Was passing through and found this place.

The service was very good. Excellent location - it's across the street from the Lake. It backs onto a forest which was nice too.

The room was quite musty and for that reason it would have been difficult to stay another night. Washroom was very small.

The town of Verona is nearby - it was pretty popular and even had a small fair with rides.

Hard for me to comment about the price since the town is popular while the availability of places to stay is low.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Dwarf Line Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!