“Great Weekend during our College Tuors” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5218 Patrick Rd, Verona, NY 13478   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Verona
Wayne, New Jersey USA
“Great Weekend during our College Tuors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

We stayed at the Turning Stone during our College visits to the Upstate New York schools. I expected it to be a stressful trip, being that we were investigating future colleges for our son. Staying at the Turning Stone made our trip so much fun. The Lodge was beautiful. The service was terrific. The food at The Lodge was wonderful. My son and husband enjoyed the Casino in the next building. It is very relaxing resort. I could have stayed a few more days. I would highly recommend The Lodge for a place to stay. There was no liquor license at the time of our stay. There is a small liquor store across the street, so this is not a problem for those who enjoy a cocktail or a glass of wine.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2008

The lodge at Turning Stone rooms are amazing. I got a package that included meals and spa over 4 days.
Rooms were beautiful - Dark wood walls, huge spa bathrooms with Kohler hardware. A huge bed with so many pillows and fluffy comforters I'd get buried every night. Beautiful balcony overlooking a garden (filled with snow while I was there). I took two yoga classes (alone!) from a super teacher in a beautiful wood floored workout room with a huge window looking out at the pond.
Skana spa - outstanding - My first treatment was called Leaves and Flowers... ---This unique treatment begins with an invigorating mineral salt and essential oil exfoliation, after which the body is immersed in a floral and herbal mineral bath to soothe the body and mind. A luxurious aromatherapy massage application of your chosen essential oils follows the bath. --- the huge suite for this was gorgeous, candles, nice music, heated massage bed. The adjoining bathroom that I was led to for the bath was beautifully strewn with tons of rose petals (in the water too) and cool water to drink and in wash cloths to put on your forehead.

The next day I could barely move after the Dandelion and Mint foot cure (reflexology extrodinare). The day after that the facial was good and the last day, the Harmony Massage was amazing. Interspersed through all treatments I could go into the coed mineral pool and the ladies jacuzzi, both had the rotating light cycles under water. And I'd sit (for several hours) and read at either the mineral pool or in the lounge with the fireplace on a great lounge chair with bunches of strawberries and other fruit and nuts, and either tea or Fuji water.

There were really fantastic fireplaces throughout the lodge - in the great room, entrance to the spa, outside at the entrance to the hotel. They were mostly huge fire pit type fireplaces so very dramatic.

Wildflowers Restaurant was great. Great restaurant staff.
Some of the Food - scallops with melted white chocolate, brioche (great!), donut soup (awesome idea), tableside Caesar salad, black cherry compote, french fries (also awesome).
The very best though, was the appetizer of scallops with white chocolate sauce and microgreens. Fantastic.

• Liked — cleanliness and style and comfort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2008

This hotel is absolutely topnotch in every way. You are called by name from the minute you drive up and the valet takes your car. You are checked in to the hotel in a very personal manner in which you feel you are the only guest staying there that night. The accommodations are superb - comfortable, modern, chic. Shortly after you get settled into your room , they call and make sure everything is to your satisfaction. The turn down service with dimmed lights, chocolates, plush robes and slippers ready - make you feel like a king and queen. They think of everything and make your stay spectacular . We will definitely return and stay more than one night!!

• Liked — the comfort and style of the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Adirondacks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

Upon booking a reservation at The Lodge at Turning Stone I had to cancel due to a family emergency. I was concerned after reading other reviews about difficulties with cancelling a reservation, but upon calling the lodge I spoke with a very friendly member of the concierge team and was assisted in cancelling my reservation. I was looking forward to my stay, but was needed elsewhere. I definately plan on rebooking my reservation with Turning Stone and if their property lives up to the quality of service that I encountered with the Concierge/Reservation Staff then I am sure I will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2007

Girlfriend and I came up to Turning Stone to visit my little sister at nearby Hamilton College. Parents stayed at the Lodge and we stayed in the Tower.

I have been coming to Turning Stone for years and well before the Tower, Lodge, golf courses, spa, etc.. were built and despite its decidedly dowdy and mid-market appearance back then, i've always loved the place.

The "new" turning stone is in good shape. The new lobby area is modern and elegant and situated away enough from the casino that the hotel could be comfortable for those not seeking the casino but simply a decent hotel in the area. We were given a great corner room (love the decor) which was great size and very clean and comfortable. Good views of the golf courses and resort grounds. Had breakfest one morning at Wildflowers, the restaurant in the Lodge which was good, small but upscale buffett. On past visits have eaten at Rodizio which was fair, not great. Despite the upper-classing of the resort, because of the liqouor prohibition, i doubt t-stone will ever get serious about food/drink.

Anyway, had a great time, place still looks pretty damn good, but damn the rooms are not cheap, for a random weekend in Nov paid an average $250/night for one of the tower rooms. Ouch!

Stayed November 2007
long island ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

We were there for 2 nights, attending a conference.
The staff at The LODGE was over the top
They ade you feel special, welcomed and always accomodated. They thought ahead at every instance, taking into account the value of their guests. Truly the best service I have EVER encountered in any fine hotel I've stayed in. The rooms are clean, serene and well kept. From the moment of check in, to the 24 hour room service, to the maid service you pass in the halls, impeccable and refined.
the rest of the property I cannot say the same, though pleasant. Casino staff is typical, however slightly freindlier than most.
Staying at th lodge completely made yo feel removed from the hustle and bustle. If you can get over the "no alchohol" (Just bring your own) Id say this is one of the finest hotels Ive ever stayed in.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Not much to do in verboa, who needs to, the room is all you need
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

First time for everything - This property made a frequent visitor to tripadvisor finally write a review. I travel quite a bit (more than amex thinks I should) and am told on a regular basis that I need to find the champagne funding to go with my taste. So that said here you go -

They must be paying attention at The Lodge to complaints because the two I read in previous reviews, were absent from my recent stay. I think Telluride meets Soho is a fair description of this top-notch hotel.

The staff - First Class. Seriously, no less than 6 times I had 4 people opening the entrance doors for me. Front desk - sharp, creative, and more than accommodating. Concierge - quick, efficient, responsive. Maitre d' @ restaurant - respectful, qualified and friendly. The server, for some of the best room service I've tasted (and that is saying something) was great. I am pretty amazed at how everyone working here seemed to be excellent at their given job. Rare.

The standard room was nice ($300) - my husband was not as huge of a fan. He is also used to me upgrading to suites and I am sure their suites must be magnificent. The room was large, the bed comfy and the shower had a cool new twist on the "rainfall". Internet easy to figure out, couldn't smoke on the balconies - which I found very odd. They would allow you to smoke around the property though, and it is very pretty. I suppose they are trying to keep it clean, and it seems to be working. The entire property was freakishly clean. Must mention the flower turndown service, very nice touch and appreciated I am sure by at least one half of every couple staying here!

Went for a concert - great show, great sound, small venue...please don't tell your friends, I would like it to stay small and affordable.

Only went briefly into any other areas on their property - but the casino looked very clean, I saw tons of slots and tables that were in the $15-$100 range had some action on them. They did not seem to have moneybacks though - some kind of card system. Not really a gambler (rather spend the money in the spa). They are opening a nightclub soon, looked ridiculously large. We dined at the Brazilian steak house for lunch, the name escapes me but the food and service were great.

It was not very busy for our stay but I would think this place would have no problem adjusting to the crowds.

Worth every penny and then some.

Stayed September 2007

Been to The Lodge at Turning Stone? Share your experiences!