“Exceptional Customer Service” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Detroit
“Exceptional Customer Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

We decided to stay overnight in Utica while traveling to Boston with our 11month old puppy. After reading many reviews, we picked Red Roof Inn. It was exactly as described by previous posters and we pleased with our choice. A big bonus for us was the large grassy area in front of the inn, it offered us an opportunity to run our puppy after a long day's journey.

Sadly, in the morning, we discovered I had lost a set of our very expensive car keys. As we had made many puppy stops the day before, we had no way of knowing where the keys went missing.

3 days later, my husband called the inn to inquire if a set of keys were found and indeed a set had been returned to the desk from Don, the maintenance man. After describing the keys, Kristen texted my husband a picture of the keys to confirm that indeed they were ours!!! Imagine our delight!!

The staff held the keys for us to pick up on our return to Detroit the following week. I lost the keys while running our puppy in the wonderful grassy area!!!

Thank you for a great stay and the exceptional customer service!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Justin S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at our hotel. I will be sure to share it with the rest of my team, as your kind words are motivational in ensuring that our reputation for excellent customer service continues. Don, our maintenance staff of over 24 years, is dedicated in both maintaining the property and delivering excellent customer service. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Utica, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

great place to stay love the rooms Kristen and liz are very helpful!!! great value. clean rooms lovely people a must stop for those traveling in the area. will stay again and again thanks to the staff and property management!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Justin S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you, Andrew, for choosing Red Roof Inn when you come to Utica to visit. Liz and Kristin will be very happy to hear that they made your stay more pleasant. Our hotel is staffed with many dedicated Guest Service Representatives, who pride themselves in making sure our guests feel comfortable and welcomed. We look forward to your next visit to Utica!
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stayed overnight as we were picking our son up from a local college. We had stayed previously in the fall over a weekend. I found the Red Roof Inn a little different during the week than over the weekend. Upon arrival around 9pm, the parking lot was very crowded. Many large work trucks from multiple various contractors. Apparently the motel seems to cater to a mobile workforce during the week. As such, since it was a beautiful night, there were many groups of people congregating outside in various areas of the motel. We checked in and upon arriving at our 2nd floor room noted approximately 8-10 people outside a room below us. They were socializing, some smoking, drinking, having a good time. Neither of our keys worked, so it was back down and across to the lobby. While walking back again with our working keys, we noticed an even larger gathering of people outside on the rear side of the building facing I-90. When we looked at the group downstairs from our room, we noticed they brought some of the chairs out of the rooms to sit on and socialize. I really have no problems with people gathering to socialize. But when gathered outside of rooms, smoking and drinking, it causes the entire hotel to seem somewhat seedy. Perhaps there is some way the motel can create a gathering area away from sitting outside rooms which would serve as a common area. If the motel serves a mobile workforce during the week, this would allow the guests to gather and socialize without improvising a rest area in front of actual rooms, blocking walkways and doorways. I want to make it very clear, the customers weren't doing anything wrong, but due to the layout of the motel, improvised their own gathering area.
As far as our room on this stay, it was once again very clean. One negative about the room was that the bathroom lock was missing from the handle leaving the doorknob somewhat sharp and not allowing the door to shut properly. The bed though was comfortable and the pillows good so a restful night was had.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Justin S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for staying at Red Roof Inn Utica. I appreciate your comments and will definitely consider your suggestion regarding an area of congregation that does not impose on other guests. Comments and suggestions, as you have provided, gives Red Roof Inn the opportunity to improve our guest's experiences. I have since had the door handle replaced to the bathroom door in which you have mentioned. We look forward to your future stays with us.
Patterson, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We were looking for a Hotel or Motel in Utica, NY, that was pet friendly for a weekend stay in April 2014. What we found was THE BEST HOTEL for the whole family. Red Roof Inns of Utica, NY is that Hotel.
We are very happy with THIS Red Roof Inn. The building is newly renovated and kept immaculate. Red Roof Inns has a Pet Friendly Policy that includes large dogs. The staff is professional and customer service is the best I have seen. We were treated like family, including our puppy dog.
We are very fond of our 80 Lb 4 yr. old yellow Lab, Chelsea. She is very well behaved and very lovable. Bringing her along on our weekend trip was great, and THIS Red Roof Inn made it possible. They are honest and thoughtful and bringing our puppy along made my daughter very happy. We would definitely consider Red Roof Inn for our next trip

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Justin S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you, Paul, for bring Chelsea along with your family during your stay. Your review is greatly appreciated and I will share it with my team. Red Roof Inn loves pets, makes it easy for pet lovers to bring their pet along during their travels, and knows memories are created with their pets. We look forward to you returning on your next trip to Utica!
Stratford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Let me preface that since we've been scoring some awesome deals on Priceline, we've been staying at a lot of 3+ star hotels, so we've been pretty spoiled and met this 2 star with a critical eye, like we were tea drinkin', pinky liftin', dog-in-a-purse-carryin' socialites. Except we aren't. That was just for pretend.

Pros: Seems like, as far as Red Roof Inn's go, this one is pretty tops. Renovated well. Looks purdy. Superior rooms have fridge and microwaves. Close to highway entrance. SUPER friendly and helpful staff, not just behind the desk. The value is right on.

Cons: The two things keeping this hotel from being the cat's meow were 1.) Noise. Which like most exterior door entrance hotels, isn't something the hotel itself can do a whole lot about. On a Friday night, it seems folks just got out of a hullabaloo of sorts in the AM and you can hear the conversations of those walking by your door as if they were sitting on your night stand, chewing at your ear. A lot of late riff raff. Again, a hotel itself can't control people or that fact that they're exterior entrance doors. I get that.
And 2.) Cleaning oversights. This was the only real hold back. They were all little things, and honestly, this room for all we know could have been an isolated incident, but the little things can katamari into big things. One small yellow stain on a bed sheet. Two small hairs in the bathroom. One tiny stain on a towel. The biggest offender, in my book, was the back of the bathroom door had a couple brown drips on it and a decent sized smear that looked maybe like some rouge make-up across the middle of the door, in plain sight. All it would take is one, damp swipe of a towel to remove them, they weren't even stains. It's like a Cover Girl slap to the face to the establishment considering they clearly put so much money and time into renovating the rooms so nicely and the cleaning staff seem so kind & helpful. What the dilly, yo?

Bottom line: If you're two-starring it in Utica, this is the jam.

P.S. If my humble opinion would change the Red Roof Inn as a business, which I'm sure it will, some fluffier pillows I think would make a huge difference in comfort and all around appeal. Firm pillows are for dweebs and posers.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Justin S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for staying at Utica's Red Roof Inn and for sharing a colorful review of your stay. I am hoping that you could call me at 315-724-7128 so that I may receive a full detail of your stay in order for me to address the issues in which you mentioned to improve our guest room quality. I sure hope you choose us in your future travels.

Live, travel, adventure, bless, and don’t be sorry. -Jack Kerouac
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

If you want an affordable clean basic room to stay the night,stay here. My family & parents regularly stay here on trips out to the coast( except for 1 bad decision last year to try somewhere else that wasn't Super at all) RRI is even better with the recent renovations. Great staff. Delmonicos down the road for supper. McDonald's for coffee in the morning and we're on our way. Would love it if you had a basket of muffins and fruit in the office for breakfast. I would even pay for some nice homemade muffins/ breakfast scones rather than McDonalds food! See you again this year!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Justin S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Utica, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Tim, Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am glad that you like our renovation and our staff were accommodating. I will definitely look into your suggestion regarding offering food in the lobby in the morning. Did you know that Red Roof Inn now has 'Plus+' locations in which certain rooms do offer "grab bags" for those on the go? Check out redroof.com for Red Roof Plus+ locations. We look forward to you staying with us in your future travels.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We usually stay at Holiday Inn Express but the prices were through the roof. I did some research on trip advisor which lead me to Red Roof Inn. The hotel was just redone and the rooms were spotless and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We stayed there 3 weeks and could not have ask for better service and a clean room. We requested our sheets be changed everyday and it was done. This experience totally changed my opinion of the Red Roof Inn. The beds were comfortable which is a big plus when you are staying for so long.

Room Tip: The business suite has plenty of room