“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Utica
Upstate NY
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed here for one night as we were attending a wedding in the area and a block of rooms had been reserved. Our price was very reasonable for a king room to begin with, but we were also lucky to get bumped up to a larger room with a sitting area for the same price. (I'm not really sure what the normal rates are like.) Our bed was great, and I loved the little overhead reading lights on the headboard. Room and bathroom were clean and spacious. Breakfast buffet was pretty decent although I think it was a bit overpriced. I agree with another reviewer that the parking situation is a little weird; I'm not sure what my parking fee was for if there is no parking attendant on the weekends anyway. We did not use the pool or fitness room, although a friend indicated that the fitness room was not too great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Krisitn L,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a response about our hotel. On behalf of the team we truly appreciate it. I wanted to apologize for the confusion regarding city owned parking garage.

We are pleased to let you know our Fitness Center renovation will be completed by the end of the week.

Again thank you and enjoy your day.

149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our third weekend stay at the Utica Radisson when visiting our daughter at Hamilton College. The hotel is basic but clean, reasonably updated, with comfortable beds and adequate service. Choices are very limited in this area, and we had considered the Radisson an acceptable choice. It is not, however, a very good value. The prices are higher than they should be for a hotel of this quality in a place like Utica. It turned out that our room had no exterior window and virtually no natural light. I would never have accepted this room, but we were not aware of this until we opened the curtains the first morning and saw people eating breakfast below us. Given that the weekend was half over and the hotel was sold out, we did not ask to be moved. Because but paid retail and booked directly through the hotel almost a year in advance, it's hard not to feel taken advantage of.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms without exterior windows.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I truly apologize for recent stay. I understand how frustrating it is when you have an expectation of a type of room and then when you check in it is not what you anticipated.

Please understand we would like to the opportunity to make it right. I am more than willing to personally make your accommodations for you on your next trip to the area.
Peru, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have mixed feelings about my 10/29/12 stay at the Radisson. Upon arriving at the hotel, one had to walk through a haze of smoke from a group of smokers. The front desk fella was friendly, in a distant manner. The room was fine. One sleep number bed did not work. Upon telling the front desk about it the next morning (the same fella that was there the night before...how long are their shifts anyway?), he asked if we had reported it (no), and then okay, we were all set. Really no concern at all that a person in our party had to sleep on a very soft, not inflated at all, bed. Maybe we should have reported it, but the little one was sleeping by the time we discovered it and we did not want him woken up. One pays for parking in the garage on a Saturday night, but then upon leaving finds that the gates are up and parking must be free on Sunday, so why does one have to pay on Saturday night?
We swam in the pool after dark on Saturday night and the lighting is almost non-existent in the pool area.
AND, no continental breakfast on weekends was the icing on the cake.
I will not frequent this hotel again and I am a frequent visitor to Utica and enjoy the downtown scene.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Margaret R,

I appreciate you reaching out to us regarding your recent stay here in Utica. It lets us know where we need to focus our coaching efforts.

As the team leader of the hotel I apologize for the response you recieved from the front desk. Also I spoke to the Municipal parking authority about not having an attendant on the weekends and how it affects our guests.

We are in the final phase of planning the renovation to our pool area. If you like you can contact me directly and I will give you updates on the renovations.
Auburn Center, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Radisson Hotel in Utica has to be the nicest hotel in town. The hotel was very clean, well decorated and the restaurant was wonderful. It's not often you find such a great restaurant in a hotel. The only problem I had was the parking garage. It is attached to the hotel, but if you have an oversized vehicle it isn't convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hi Peter B,

Thanks so much for the kind words about our Radisson in Utica , New York. The team loves hear guest feedback. That is how we build a cohesive team and provide our guest's an experience they wont forget.

Enjoy your travels

David Cocomazzi and the Team Utica
Gordonville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Used the Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre as the choice for out of town travelers and for the rehearsal dinner for our sons wedding. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff went out of their way to make sure there was no added stress for us during our stay. Provided a "hospitality room" for our guests to use as a location to reacquaint with each other. The meal at the rehearsal dinner was fabulous!! I cannot say enough good things about this hotel, and the staff. A special thank you goes to Kat, Phillip (F & B Director) and the night manager on duty on 08/03/12 (I'm sorry we can't remember his name right now!). Please, if you are considering staying here, DO IT! You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: No tips needed, the rooms are all good!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Dear valued guests,

Thank so much for the awesome review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay. Our goal is to give our guests an experience they will never forget

I will share your comments with the team. Enjoy your day
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here for the night on our way to New England. We arrived here very late and were thankful they had rooms available. The hotel is very conveniently located, just off the highway. It's a nice, friendly hotel with plenty of amenities. Unfortunately, the restaurant had closed when we got there but the bar was still open. We got some drinks. I got a Long Island iced tea, and it was one of the best ones I have ever had! A perfect drink to bring to the room after a 13-hour drive! The bartender woman was so nice! She insisted we have nice glassware to bring to our room so we could fully appreciate our drinks! :) I'm glad this is a college town. We had no problem getting late-night pizza delivery! The front desk man had given me two tickets for a comp. breakfast buffet in the morning. When we got there, which I admit was about 15-20 minutes before it was too close, they were out of almost everything. There were a few annoyed guys there, with one commenting that it looked like the breakfast buffet had been robbed! However, to the hotel's credit, when this was brought to their attention, they immediately got to work on it. 15 minutes later and everything was full again! It was a good selection of food; I especially liked the eggs benedict. The only negative in our stay is that when we arrived in our room (which was very nice), on the floor in between the beds there was a big plastic cup with an empty bottle in it! I get grossed out by stuff like this (I have a trash fetish!). However, after removing it, I could enjoy the room fully! Overall, this is a great hotel, and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank so much for your comments about your stay here at our hotel. It is always nice to relax after along day of traveling.

I will share you comments abut breakfast and your room with the team. After all that is how we make a good hotel great. And based on your feedback we are on our way !
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Hampton Inn was full so we were sent to The Radisson. We were thankful. The room was larger and less expensive. Yet it still had the quality linens that we like. Then in the morning the breakfast buffet was much better than Hampton Inns. Real scrambled eggs, real sausage, sauteed mushrooms and vegetables and for my wife, French toast. Coffee was served by very pleasant waitresses. I was quite impressed.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a little larger
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DavidCocomazzi, General Manager at Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear valued Guests,

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay here at the Radisson. We do our best to make sure we provide every guest with an experience they wont forget.

I commnucaited to the breakfast staff you comments on the food and the service.

Again thank you and enjoy your day !

David Cocomazzi, General Manager

Been to Radisson Hotel-Utica Centre? Share your experiences!