“First class service, close to HAMILTON COLLEGE and COLGATE UNIVERSITY” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Utica

You added Hampton Inn Utica to your Saves list
Hampton Inn Utica
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   172-180 N Genessee St, Utica, NY 13501   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Utica
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“First class service, close to HAMILTON COLLEGE and COLGATE UNIVERSITY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on a recent college search trip. It was close to Hamilton College and Colgate and was a great choice! The staff was AMAZING! They greeted us with a smile and complimentary bottles of water! When we asked for help in finding the schools, they printed us directions on map-quest. The rooms were very clean as was the workout area and pool. The complimentary afternoon snacks - pretzels, soup and cheese and crackers - were a pleasant surprise! The lounge area was very comfortable and had lots of seating and a flat-screen T.V. For breakfast ( also complimentary) there were many hot options as well as cereal, bagels and toast. Overall our stay was very enjoyable! It felt more like a home then a hotel! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Utica area! You can't beat the service, cleanliness or price of this special hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Deat Luv2travel601,

We know how stressful college visit can be for both the kids and the parents. We are so happy to hear that you found our hotel to be a home away from home and hope that if your child chooses to attend one of the many great colleges in our area that you will become one of our regular Hampton family guests!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This hotel is absolutely my families choice for lodging when we come to Utica. The rooms are great! Warm and inviting. The kids love the whirlpool suites. The staff is incredible, especially Jennifer, Stacey and Katherine at the front desk. They are always friendly, accomodating and truly know what customer service means, they are an incredible asset to this hotel! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone passing through the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Mr. C.,

We love having you and your family stay with us. Thank you for recognizing the staff they truly do deliver the best in customer service and I appreciate their dedication to our guests. We always look forward to having you stay with us and look forward to the next time!
Sodus Point, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed overnight on March 7. I was ill and didn't want to press on to Albany - my business destination - so I made a last minute reservation at this Hampton. The property was warm clean and the staff welcoming. The room was clean, fresh, and up to date. The best was yet to come however.
It had snowed during the night and was snowing when I got ready to depart. I came down to put my bag in the car, clean off the snow and start it prior to checking out. to my surprise I saw that the snow and ice had already been mostly brushed off. At first I thought I made a mistake and that it wasn't my car; but then I noticed that all the other cars around it were brushed off also. I walked in to check out as my car was warming up and I realized that some one from the hotel staff had been cleaning off the guests cars. I thanked the the front desk clerk and asked if I could have a piece of paper so I could write a thank you note to the manager. As I was writing it the front desk clerk said "oh here's Bill, our facilities staff who is cleaning the cars off." I introduced myself and thanked him in person. He replied, "Its no big thing sir." Business travelling is not the most fun pass time around and when you are sick and on the road it makes it doubly worse. So thank you Bill and the Utica Hampton staff - "little things do make a big difference" - particularly to this under the weather business traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi Michael,

We are so glad that you found us during your drive through Utica. We are sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well but delighted to hear about your experience with us. It is words like yours,""little things do make a big difference" - particularly to this under the weather business traveler," that truly make our staff smile and continue to want to make each and every guest's experience with us the best it can be. I shared your response with our maintenance staff too and they were excited for the recognition. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope that you decide to make another last minute stop with us here in Utica.
Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip last week. Having been in more than 50 Hampton Inns over the years I really do believe this was one of the best! I had a room on the third floor on back side of the hotel but I heard no truck noise as noted by another reviewer. Yes I heard trains but they were definitely not loud enough to be a disturbance. Generally I thought this was the quietest hotels I stayed in over the years, both from an inside and an outside noise perspective. The front desk staff said the hotel was completely full but it was very quiet with little to no noise from neighboring rooms. The breakfast is the standard Hampton layout but foods were well stocked and the coffee hot. The evening snacks were much appreciated, especially the crock of chicken noodle soup on a snowy evening. Overall I enjoyed my stayed and highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful response. With all the traveling you do, we are so excited to hear that you think we were one of the best! We pride ourselves on a clean and comfortable stay with top notch customer service as we strive to be the number one Hampton Inn in the country! I'm glad the soup could give you some warmth on a cold evening. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

There was nothing wrong with this Hampton Inn, it is clean, the staff is friendly and the breakfast is fine. However, I heard train whistles all night and bright and early trucks started honking. I had a room on the backside of the hotel and I think there was a truck depot behind the hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a heavy sleeper, you should be fine. Or perhaps ask for a room in the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback via TripAdvisor. We sincerely apologize for the noise issues you encountered with outside traffic as we know how important a calm and quiet space is while traveling. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit our area. We would be happy to put you in a room that is quiet and away from the street and noise so you can get a good night's sleep like you deserve.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We researched many area hotels and were pleased with our choice. This hotel was extremely clean, beds/pillows extra comfy. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave which is a nice touch. It is non smoking & pets are not allowed which is important to us as we suffer with allergies. The staff went out of their way to make us feel wlecome and were always available to help - extra pillows, bottled water upon arrival. The free breakfast was a plus - great assortment & changed from day to day. Hot coffee/tea/hot chocolate and fresh fruit were available at all times. Snacks were served free of charge late afternoon & early evening (chili, s'mores, cookies, etc) another little perk.The location is close to many restaurants & shopping. I will definitely stay at Hampton Inn Utica whenever I'm in the area

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We came into town for a funeral. I booked at this hotel because of the great reviews I read here. After 12 hours on the road we arrived at 1 am and were exhausted. When I got out of the car I immediately smelled marijuana. I just assumed maybe someone before us had been smoking and the odor was still strong and continued inside. As I walked into the lobby not only did it get stronger but there was so much smoke at the end of the hall way and loud music it was obvious there was a party going on. I walked to the front desk and was annoyed that this was going on right in front of the staff and this is what we were greeted with. He checks us in and as he is doing so the KIDS from the party room come out and raid the cookie platter he just set out before checking us in bragging about how they had the munchies. There was a group of four girls that came into the lobby area and three to four more teens that were outside the room in the hallway congregating. My fiancé and I were looking at each other in disbelief. The smoke in the hallway even when they had the door closed was so thick I was surprised the fire alarm didn't activate. I don't care if people choose to smoke weed but its not what I want to see when I am checking into my hotel room for the weekend. We proceed to our second floor room and as we approach the room the door is wide open AND we are literally right above the party room and can hear nothing but loud music and people talking. Really? We go back downstairs and ask him why he would put us right over a room he knows there are a group of teens getting high and having a party. He apologizes and gives us a 3rd floor room on the opposite side of the hotel. He also comps our room for the night and gives us a receipt. By this time it is 1:30 in the morning. When we get to the next room and get inside all the drawers are open to the dressers and the desks. It was really weird- like we walked into a burglary scene. We get to sleep a little after 2am. By 4 am the fire alarm is going off and continues to go off for the next 40 minutes because the midnight clerk was never taught how to use the system so he did not know how to turn it off. Since it was not a fire the FD did not come out. We had to wait for an employee who knew how to operate the system to be contacted and arrive to turn off the alarm. In the meantime it did what is was meant to do and blared in every room relentlessly.

We did not sleep well after that and got up early to eat breakfast and prepared for our funeral. We returned to the room around 9 that night. The GM had slipped a note under the door apologizing for the inconvenience and offered a comp for a future stay. The reason was a stove that overheated preparing breakfast food. After what I saw checking in I find that very hard to believe but I did appreciate the apology. When we checked out the next day the manager on duty stated we could use the comp for that stay which we accepted. Somehow we were still charged for a night even though we were comped both nights. We are by far cheap and always stay at Hyatt or Marriott but they don't have those in Utica. We were not looking for a free stay but I was so disappointed with our experience and will never stay at this hotel again. Maybe it was a one time experience but it was enough for me to never come back again.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the opposite side of the party room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Maria B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Utica, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We are so sorry for the unpleasant experience you had with noise and disruptions from other guests and our fire alarm going off. We understand your disappointment in your stay and apologize for any distress we may have caused. We have shared your review with our team and we will work harder to prevent and address similar issues should they occur moving forward so as not to disturb our other guests. Please contact me directly and I will go ahead and make sure that your billing issues are taken care of. I realize that this experience did not deliver the top notch customer service that our guests know and love and I deeply apologize for that. We hope you will consider staying with us again so we might show you the quality service and accommodations you deserve should you return to our area in the future. If we may be of any assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly.

Been to Hampton Inn Utica? Share your experiences!