“Delmonico's - starts bad, ends great” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Vista, California
“Delmonico's - starts bad, ends great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

After a long day of travel from the West Coast, I arrived in Utica, NY and asked the front desk person at my hotel, "Where is a good local place to eat?" She steered me to Delmonico's and even had a coupon for a free dessert. It was nearby, so I thought, "Why not?" Warning: This review starts bad, but do the restaurant the favor of reading to the end (or just skip there).

Delmonico's is a fun restaurant. The theme is rat pack/gangster Italian. The signs outside on the fire curb announce "Don't even think of parking here." The hostess was wearing a pin-striped vest and a fedora, and promptly seated me over by the bar. I looked at the menu, decided on my order, set the menu aside and began reading The Wall Street Journal while I waited for my server to appear. After completing the first feature-length article, I looked at my watch. After completing two more, I noticed that 12 minutes had gone by. No water, no bread, no server. I decided to give it three more minutes, read another article, then folded up my paper, stood up, and walked out. I stopped at the hostess stand to let her know that I was leaving and why. She asked if I wanted to speak with the manager, but by then, I wasn't interested. I did tell her, however, that I would be speaking to the folks at my hotel.

I was so steamed that I sat in my car trying to log in to my Trip Advisor account to leave my report, but my connection was bad and my phone died. So I decided to head back to my hotel to locate another restaurant and then review both when I returned for the evening. That is when things started to go right.

When I walked into the foyer of the hotel, I approached the desk and began to tell the woman behind the counter about my experience at Delmonico's. She politely interrupted and said, "That was you? I just want to let you know that the manager called, said he was very disappointed in his staff, and wants to cook you whatever you'd like and bring it here to the hotel for you." The first thing you need to know is that I did not tell the hostess the name of my hotel. I can only conclude that the manager called every nearby hotel to let them know that if they heard of a complaint, to make that offer.

Not wanting to eat in my room, I decided that I would trek back over to Delmonico's. I was met by the manager, the hostess, and a waiter. The manager apologized and thanked me for giving them another chance. The waiter took me to a table, took my order, and away he went. My drink, bread, and some wonderful garlic butter hit the table immediately. The salad was fresh and just the right size for a side. My waiter was prompt but not hovering.

I defied tradition (Delmonico's is known locally for its steaks) and ordered their one-pound lasagna. It is a meat-lover's delight, just the right balance of sauce and pasta as well. It defeated me after I was about half way through it. To round out the night, I had a piece of their pumpkin cheesecake (offered in season only) and it was delicious. I asked for the check and was told by the waiter that the entire meal was comped.

While my evening began poorly at Delmonico's, it ended quite well. Even had the management not comped the meal, I would have been very glad that I chose to come back. The next time I return to Utica -- probably next fall -- I will be sure to revisit Delmonico's. All restaurants will have service hiccups. It is the way that the management handles things that makes the difference. I felt like a highly valued customer. That, combined with the great meal, earns a five from me.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Terrible management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Me and my husband went for dinner one night, we haven't been there in a while and I don't think we will be going back for a while. We had an issue with my husbands steak not being cook the way it was asked. The manager Brian came over with an attitude and a stupid smirk on his face. He talked to us like we didn't know what he were talking about. My husband asked for medium and the steak came out rare anyone who is a steak eater knows the difference. We left so insulted and will not be back for a while or at least until we hear he is gone.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oneida, New York
“Meeting place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a favorite meeting place since the menu is varied, the steaks huge and the service fast and friendly. Prices are very reasonable. But all that said over the last few years it seems to have become more like a step up from fast food. Delmonico's has always been noisy and lively, but now there seems to be a "rushed" aspect added to the mix.

Food is still fine, but not with the finer touches that came with entrees a few years back. I got the feeling that things were all prepared and just waiting to be heated up back in the kitchen.

Drink prices are very reasonable and they cater to groups so it still makes an excellent meeting spot when you have a crowd and want to go somewhere that handle it gracefully. They do take reservation so call ahead and reserve your spot.

Last visit out my table had Utica greens (OK), their signature steak (huge and cooked as requested), chicken Sinatra (smaller portion than a few years ago) and lasagna (huge and delicious). Crusty bread with garlic butter and nice salads added to the mix.

Not the place for a romantic dinner for two -- too noisy and too rushed.

Visited September 2013
“Favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Delmonicos has been my go to spot for the past 5 years. Always amazing service. If by some chance the food is not perfect they quickly and happily make it perfect. Always kind and sweet .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Otego, New York
“Bring your appetite!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I recently had the opportunity to go out to dinner. We've tried to eat here in the past, but due to a lack of foresight, we were unable to get a table in a reasonable amount of time. This particular night was a holiday and we were shocked to find the parking lot with many available spaces. Hooray for us! We were immediately taken to the back room, where we were seated at a nice, sunny table. On our way, I was struck by the seating that is available. Several family dining room areas, which were separated by a half wall/half glass divider, which allowed families to dine and have rousing conversation without yelling over the top of or disturbing other guests. (GREAT idea!) Our server was Kelly and she was very attentive and helpful. We began by ordering drinks: I had a brandy old fashioned, which was made a little stronger than I prefer and Kelly was happy to have it topped off with some soda. My husband ordered the fresh brewed tea, which he said was the best he'd ever had in a restaurant. (He's a bit particular, so I was thrilled that he was happy!) We ordered the Utica greens and the calamari appetizers. Both of these were prepared and seasoned very well. The Utica greens were my favorite, hands down. I ordered the Delmonico Alfredo with chicken, broccoli and mushrooms. It was large in portion. The sauce was light enough to allow me to eat more than 6 bites, but heavy enough to be considered an alfredo. You could definitely taste the parmesan cheese! The broccoli was served in pretty large chunks and prepared more tender crisp than most places, but that's the way that I like it. Overall, it was quite good. My husband ordered the Delmonico steak, but it lacked seasoning. We'll definitely go back to Delmonicos again, provided we can find a parking spot!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere