“great staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Utica
Utica, New York
“great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have stayed at Holiday Inn Express in many cities in NY recently....Rochester, Plattsburgh, Victor, Canandaigua, Lake George...they are all great! Utica tops them all in terms of cleanliness, breakfast staff (Karin is wonderful...friendly and a hard worker), AND OVERALL staff friendliness. The housekeeping staff is the best of any I have experienced (Dana).

Room Tip: chose one on the top floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ana F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Michele C,
I'd like to thank you so very much for taking the time to give us such a great review! Karin has been with us since we've opened and always knows how to make our guests feel right at home. We always encourage all of our staff to be personable and interact with our guests, and Dana is always sure to do! I'll be sure to share your many compliments with our staff. We look foward to your next visit with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
emmatl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We spent one night at this hotel on our way to Cooperstown NY. The hotel was newer or recently renovated and the room was clean and comfortable. The bath was small with the sink in the front alcove of the room. Lobby was small. Upon check in it was full of a construction crew enjoying a complementary tray of cheese and cookies that were on a cart. It was quite picked over and never attended to. We paid 188.00 plus tax for a standard room. We paid cash but they still held the room charge on our credit card as well for 3 days. When we asked the manager about this and if there was anything she could do about it she said they were completely booked so take it or leave it. Though at other HI express locations they only held 10.00 on the card when we paid cash. We ate an early breakfast and it was well stocked and clean. Staff was much more friendly upon check out.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear emmatl,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear you found the rooms clean and comfortable. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is great to read from our guests on how we are doing. We are sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you would give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

as we were heading to NH we decided to stop in Utica for the night, we found the Holiday Express online and booked a room, we were very thrilled how fresh and clean the room was, we enjoyed a swim in the pool and a wonderful full breakfast....the only problem was the price was much lower as we found out in a coupon book so were a little disappointing that we had spent way too much money booking ahead, so we have learned to pick up the coupon book on our next adventure.

Room Tip: we found the rooms very quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Blueeyeshavingfun,
I'd like to thank you for taking the time to give us such a great review! I'm so very happy you were able to enjoy your stay with us. I'd also like to apologize for our rates being so high. Our rates are a bit more in the summer due to it being a busier time of the year. The coupons are for walk ins only, so you're not always gaurenteed a room when using the coupon. If there's anything at all that I can do for you please contact me directly.

My name is Ana and I'm the guest relations manager. You can contact me via email: AnaMFig9@yahoo.com or you can call the hotel directly: 315 724 2726. Thanks again!
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights while in town for a wedding. We were upgraded to a king suite which was a really nice surprise after a long day traveling. The hotel was very nice and the staff was friendly and attentive. I would definitely recommend this hotel. We are platinum members and spend a fair amount of time in Holiday Inns....this was one of the best!

Stayed October 2013
Ana F, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Chrismzimm,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to complete such a great review for us. I'm ecstatic that we were able to accommodate your needs during your stay. We always try our best to upgrade our platinum members when we have suites available. I'll be sure to share your compliments with our hotel staff. Maybe next time you're in the area you can enjoy our complimentary dvd rentals, located at the front desk. Again, thank you for your feedback!
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Our travel plans did not include a stop here but we were tired. We found an advertisement and coupon in a travel brochure that you get in rest areas. To our surprise the hotel was easily accessible, new, and clean. The room was comfortable and quiet. It was a nice unexpected stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Nena D,
Thanks for the great review! I'm happy you enjoyed your stay. I'll be sure to share your compliments with our hotel staff. Maybe next time you're in the area you can enjoy our indoor pool.
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was travelling with my 78 year old mother who has mobility issues. We had requested an accessible room. Though the bathroom was perfect and there was a lot of room for her to use her walker the bed was extremely high. Because of this she was unable to get in or out of bed unassisted. We asked for a step and the hotel was unable to find anything appropriate for us. How can a room be called accessible if the bed is not? Neither of us got much sleep.

When we returned home I emailed the company. Got a response from the General Manager who apologized, said no one had ever complained before and offered extra reward points or work on adjusting the cost. I replied back stating that the front desk staff did try to help us and the rest of the hotel experience was great. I also offered a few suggestions on how things could be made easier for elderly/handicapped individuals. I also said I didn't want point as we don't travel much but would love to have some part of our stay refunded.

No one responded. I emailed again 10 days later and got no response. I emailed again a week later and still got no response. I emailed Corporate last week and still waiting to hear from them.

My initial email was June 9. This lack of response is by far the worst part of our experience. Obviously we don't matter very much to management.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Lee A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Meilyn,
I'm sorry about your frustrating experience with us. I can understand why you would feel upset, but I would like the opportunity to speak to you about this matter if you could contact me directly. We did in fact go through with our promise to offer your refund, which was applied on July 17th, and I sent several emails trying to communicate that to you. Please contact me at your convenience,
Lee Arthur
Ph: 315-724-2726
Email: larthur@visions-hotels.com
Baiting Hollow, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Convenient to the thruway. The room was clean, in great shape, and still seemed new. The pool and breakfast were very good. Some mixed reviews on staff depending on the day of the week and day or night. Breakfast the second day had better service. The daytime front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. The evening/night desk staff was less pleasant. Stayed two nights on points but no recognition for rewards member or status.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Lee A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear eastendLI,
Thanks for giving us your feedback. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your room, and out free breakfast, but I'm sorry to hear that things weren't totally consistent throughout your stay. We do expect our staff to be able I provide exceptional service regardless of the time of day. So if you'd like to share some more details of your stay with me, I would be happy to talk to you in more detail.
Lee Arthur
315-724-2726
Larthur@visions-hotels.com

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica? Share your experiences!