“Diamond in the Rough” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
New York State
“Diamond in the Rough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

My husband and I have been here several times - and each time is a joy! Great service, delicious food, and amazingly cheap prices! Although the atmosphere needs updating, and it's not in the greatest neighborhood, it's well worth the trip. The platters are delicious and usually make another one or two left-over meals. Great place to eat!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Vermont
“Great Local Italian Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I saw the name in the phone book and I recognized it. The funny thing is that I hadn't ever see the name before. When I asked the desk clerk at the Red Roof Inn to help me find it, she said, Oh I love that place. I've been going there since I was a kid." She gave me directions that didn't quite work, so I was driving around in a old residential neighborhood. I stopped in a local tavern to ask for directions. When I mentioned "Tony Sparagna's," they shouted, "Hey, we'll be there in 45 minutes." I love this place. If I lived in Utica or any where near it, I would be a regular. What a great friendly place with wonderful food. The food wasn't fancy, it was just good, family Italian food. I felt like I was in my local restaurant and I was being served by friends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“In spite of it not having much atmosphere, the food is remarkably cheap and plentiful; a large menu of Italian...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

In spite of it not having much atmosphere, the food is remarkably cheap and plentiful; a large menu of Italian favorites. The combination diners are a great value. It's been around forever; if you really want to go to a classic Utica Italian restaurant, skip the east side of town and try this place instead!

Utica, NY
“an amazing little place in West Utica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

Tony Sparagna's is a long-time Utica gem. Hiddeen away in a largely residential neighborhood on Lenox Avenue is a restaurant the locals have been going to for decades. It has a no frills, meat -and -potatoes atmosphere, but no one goes for the atmosphere. (Actually I always find its plain atmosphere a nice change from cookie cutter chain restaurants.) The food is great, and you get so much of it you'll have lunch for the next day. The menu is varied; if you're visiting Utica , try the local specialties, like chicken riggies and greens ; they are great here. The waitresses are very friendly and efficient, but you're better off going here during the week, because there are often lines to get in on the weekend. The clientele tends to be families; the prices are very low, and a family can have a great meal for surprisngly little.