“I only go for the lavash!!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 181 restaurants in Troy
Albany, NY
“I only go for the lavash!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

The lavash come out hot and steamy and blown up like a balloon. It is so tasty especially dunked in the yogurt sauce that comes with it. I know we've eaten dinner here but I can't remember anything about it. I pretty much go for the lavash. Worth it!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
Troy, New York
“Good, tasty Turkish/Mediterannean Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ali Baba has a unique place in the Troy area. The Turkish food served here is excellent. It is a great place to go with friends and family as the food here is meant to be shared. The lavosh, fresh and warm from the oven, is superb and a great accompaniment to the many 'small dishes' on the menu.

Visited April 2013
Albany, New York
“Great food, very good prices, relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The food was surprisingly good. The bread was terrific - they bring it out hot out of the oven with a giant air bubble, like a bread balloon. We were very surprised with how reasonable the prices were. We went as a couple, but would have felt absolutely comfortable with kids. Entrees ranged from $9 to $13 for a lot of really quality food. The juices tasted fresh squeezed (mango, peach, etc) and were inexpensive. Four pieces of baklava was $5. All of it was delicious.

My one complaint is that the menu doesn't have descriptions of the food. We really love turkish food, and the menu had nice pictures, but it was difficult to tell what each item is - ingredients, spiciness, taste. The waitress was very good about explaining everything for us.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albany, New York
“Alibaba - Turkish Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Alibaba in Troy is tasty authentic Turkist food. While the food is delicious - the atmosphere is not decorative or elaborate. I went with a friend in April 2013 and we shared a small lavash with yogurt and dill dipping sauce as an appetizer. For dinner - I had the Veggie Iskender and she had the Chicken Iskender both came from the kitchen quickly. Plenty of food on each plate and is reasonably priced.

Couple of small details to note, Alibaba does not serve alcohol and there is only street parking.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Albany, NY, USA
“Go for the lavash, stay for the chicken curry!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Love, love, love this place. I discovered this wonderful, Turkish hole-in-the wall about 10 years ago. I didn't know what to expect when I first walked into the place as it doesn't scream 'great food' from the outside. Over the years, nothing has really changed (except for the owners who have kept the recipes) and I have never had a bad meal. The Lavash bread pulls me in each time. I love watching them make it and then watch it rise in the big firepit behind the counter. While this bread comes with a delectable yogurt dipping sauce, we always order a 'mixed plate' in addition, which is a plate full of various spiced and cooked down vegetables, like eggplant, hummus, or esme. There is a lot to choice from for the main course, but I usually get the beef durum or chicken curry. Dessert is usually a baklava or a rice pudding. It's all good--and a great way to spend a cold or rainy Saturday evening.

• Visited March 2013