“Best Indian in Troy!” 5 of 5 stars

Best Indian in Troy!

Albany, New York
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

Shalimar has a cheap daily lunch buffet, but I haven't made it to the buffet yet. I've had two sit-down meals here, both in the late afternoon when, each time, there was only one other couple in the restaurant.

Shalimar is completely uninspired. The decor is bland, at best. The service squeaks into the "passable" range, but not by a lot. Both times we've gone there, we've heard the guys back in the kitchen shouting loudly to each other. On our first visit, the "host" was on the phone loudly discussing his plans to get KFC for dinner. The second time, the "hostess" was wearing an oversized t-shirt, sweatpants, and flip-flops. She also deemed it appropriate to vacuum a few feet away from us while we ate our appetizers, and to stand and hover at the table while I signed the credit card receipt.

The food is adequate. I wouldn't really call it GOOD Indian food, but it's certainly edible, and I've definitely had worse. The prices and portions are reasonable.

I would definitely suggest coming for the buffet if you're thinking about eating here. Like I said, I haven't done that yet, but I'm assuming the food is of equal quality, and therefore the significantly lower price will make the whole experience a more palatable value.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I had quite a few good meals here.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

I had quite a few good meals here.

San Francisco, California
“Better than Devon Avenue in Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

For over a year I lived within walking distance of Chicago's Devon Avenue Indian neighborhood. Along a few blocks of that street operate some of the finest chefs of traditional and Americanized versions of Indian and regional delicacies in the United States.

Nothing I tasted there could beat Shalimar.

Rather than take the route of preparing overly stylized and "re-imagined" versions of Pakistani dishes, Shalimar serves up the most delicious, straight-forward (and suitably Americanized) cuisine of that region that I've found anywhere.

Weekdays, they offer a very affordable lunch buffet which often features an unbelievably good chicken biryani and includes two flavors of hot nan flatbread. There are always several vegetarian dishes available, too.

No matter what I've tried, it's always been exceptional. Be prepared; the restaurant itself is not fancy. They cater primarily to the university lunch crowd, with RPI a short walk away. What they lack in fancy linens and stylish centerpieces, though, is easily compensated by the quality and taste of the food.