“Sort of...I wish I could give it 2 1/2...” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dinosaur Bar-B-que is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 167 Restaurants in Troy
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: phone number is: 518-308-0400
Averill Park, New York
“Sort of...I wish I could give it 2 1/2...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

After being a major fan of the Syracuse Dino, the Troy version left me wondering what the hype is all about. Based on two sittings, I'm still waiting to get wowed. It's OK,...(frankly I do a better job at home on my grill...) Granted, it gets a lot of play, but I'm beginning to think it's because it's the only game in town.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Albany, New York
“Great BBQ with plenty of atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Ate here on a Friday night - beware - you need reservations as it was insanely packed. I was even able to add three people to my reservation within an hour of arriving. Promptly seated, staff are efficient and pleasant. Waitress was knowledgeable and helpful. I had the catfish, which was amazing - as good as I've had down South. The greens were good, but not spectacular. They are not Southern style, which would have been made with bacon. The cornbread was excellent, the cole slaw was freshly made and tasty. I really loved the whipped sweet potatoes - very flavorful, particularly when topped with the spicy walnuts. Too full for dessert. Everyone else was very pleased with the cuban pork, ribs, etc. My mom has food issues, and the mild BBQ sauce was perfect. There are options for those who want more heat. Lighting is a bit poor - hard to see. Parking is miserable - not enough on-site, and not enough handicapped spots, so that lost a point with me, as one of my group needed that. But the food is so good, I will return for another battle to find a parking spot!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Babylon, New York
“Good Food and good atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The price is right for the food offered here.

The pulled pork is usually my favorite, as I have had it in there Rochester establishment. I did not think it was quite the same here, but still good.

The family dinner for four or six is a great choice. It includes a good selection of options and a good value if you have a group. The bar=B=que Chicken is great, the ribs are good and the brisket is good , too. The sides are great. The macaroni and chese is really great. The rolls are so good and go great with the meals. The slaw and cornbreadnot to be missed.

Watch out for the deserts! The peanut butter pie is my daughter's favorite.

If you drink, there are some interesting offerings and the people at the bar really seemed happy.

The service is good and the restaurant ambiance is welcoming.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Clifton Park, New York
“Great for eating in--not to much for take-out”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I've been to this restaurant before for eating-in and it has been wonderful. Great barbeque. However, they have a take-out menu, from which I ordered a family platter for my father's birthday. They completely messed up the order. I was going to go through the large bag myself, but the young woman at the counter read my order and reassured me that everything was in there. Of course, I didn't see the errors until I made it back home to Clifton Park. I asked for briskit and pulled pork... did not get the pulled pork. The family platter is also supposed to come with a whole chicken... I only received half. Also, the side dishes were not filled in the container, it was a sad scoop of each in a large bowl.

Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed, especially since this was for my father's birthday. I called the restaurant to make a complaint--as it was too late to drive back out there and then drive back home. I was told that I would be refunded--but that never happened!! Not even so much as giving me part of my money back since I did not get what I ordered. That to me reflects poor management. Will never order out from them again! and skeptical about going back there for eating in as well.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Down South Up North”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Perfectly authentic BBQ of all types. Really rare to get an actual southern flair in the food with a true NY touch of class.

Visited October 2012