“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Troy
Westchester County, New York
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I was in Troe for two nights on business. Imgotma great rate, better than any other comparable hotels and with latebarrival the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. the hotel was clean and had everything any traveler could need without leaving.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We were in Troy, NY for a family event. We called ahead for a shuttle to pick us up from the airport and we were happy to see a black escalade pull up. It's free of charge (we did tip the driver). Pros: Great Staff (Nicole was super helpful!), property was clean and looked well maintained. We used the gym (small but worked), the pool (indoors), and the buffet (really good and very affordable $6-$11), needed extra towels and a cot which were easy to get. When we return to Troy, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Lower floor is better given the slow elevator and there is no view to see at the higher floors. Stai...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rye Brook, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

When I first checked into the Hilton Garden Inn Troy I thought that I would be staying in a clean, well kept, decent establishment for a night's sleep. The hotel seemed pretty new looking online, being opened in 2009, it usually signals a cleaner hotel. Yet, my expectations were completely off.
The person at the front desk was nice, cordial, and prompt to check me into my room. She welcomed me to the hotel, gave me instructions on how to connect to the internet, and told me about some of the security features installed since Troy is not the safest city in New York.
Upon entering my room I opened my door and I noticed that the wall shook, and made a noise similar to two balloons rubbing against each other. I never knew that a laminate and a thin piece of plastic was an acceptable division between a room and a stairwell. This first impression should have foreshadowed my quality of sleep for the upcoming night. As I proceeded to inspect my suite I went into the kitchenette area and noticed some mold growing on the floor near the mini fridge, officially grossing me out. Along with the paper clip sticking up from the carpet, the garbage found in a drawer in the kitchenette, and the additional mold growing on the floor in the bathroom made me loose all faith in housekeeping at this establishment.
The bedding on the main bed was perfectly suitable, clean and fresh smelling, however the pathetic excuse of a cot that the hotel provided for my son was of the cheapest quality I have ever seen. He told me that the book that he was reading at the time (Fast Food Nation) was thicker than the mattress on the cot (he actually compared), and the sheets had to be 90% polyester and 10% cotton (a thread count of 150 would be generous).
The restaurant downstairs is actually okay with decent bar food and lots of flat panel tvs (think buffalo wild wings), and I'm sure plays a very important social role for the students at RPI (the hotel is across the street from the college). The breakfast served in the morning seemed adequate for the hotel (at $12 per person, one cannot expect much), and the convenience store had more than enough for a small hotel. The person at the front desk was even offered to put the purchases on my room, making it far more convenient for me.
Sleeping at this establishment was a bit difficult, since the hotel is right on route 7, it remains very noisy at night with trucks and motorcycles buzzing down the road constantly. Additionally, with the floors being as thin as the walls, I heard the music blasting from the ballroom downstairs, keeping me up until 1 AM when the function finally ceased.
Along with a thermostat that shuts off after a half hour of not being in the room, making it a nice 78 degrees when one enters after an extended period of time, local channels that are pixelated, and a small pool that has so much chlorine in it that it emits anunbreathable odor, someone would have to pay ME to stay in this establishment again.
I would much rather drive from Albany, stay at the Marriott, and do my business in Troy, than stay in this hotel ever again. At best, this hotel is on par with a cheap best western or a nice motel 6, but for the price I paid, there must be better lodging options in the Albany metro area that are considered "clean" and far less stingy.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hoosick Falls, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had our wedding reception here and stayed in an amazing suite. The staff are great and the place is new... it's a beautiful space! The Recovery Sports Bar is fantastic too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. The hotel is pleasant and the rooms are okay. There are only two elevators serving the seven floors of the hotel, and they are used by the cleaning staff as well. The waits for the elevators could be long. The breakfast buffet was not overwelming, but still acceptable. The swmming pool is indoors, small and faces the main door. The gym is tiny. The lobby bar in pleasant, and the sports bar in the complex is large and looks fun.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Selkirk, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We used the Hilton Garden Inn in Troy, NY as our base for our wedding last weekend. We had 35 out of town guests staying at the hotel, held our rehearsal dinner there and our wedding reception after party as well as next day breakfast. The whole experience was excellent from start to finish. No complaints from any of our wedding guests which was amazing. Our hotel event coordinator Kim Ryan was a total pleasure to deal with. She was organized, knowledgeable and professional. Would highly recommend the hotel and Kim.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

While we did not personally stay at the hotel, we used it as our base of operations for all our out of town family during our daughter's wedding. Our family expressed their satisfaction with their hotel stay.

We hosted a get together after the wedding and a family brunch the following day. Kim, our event coordinator and catering manager, made hosting our events very easy. She was always friendly and considerate of our wishes. All we had to do was sit back and enjoy! Waitstaff provided excellent service catering to all our needs. They were dedicated to everyone having a good time. For example, Nancy, who oversaw the get together, even visited us at the Sunday brunch to make sure everything was going well.

If you have a social event coming up, you should consider the Hilton Garden Inn of Troy, NY.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Troy? Share your experiences!