“Rundown neighborhood spoils an otherwise cozy B&B” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Olde Judge Mansion

You added Olde Judge Mansion to your Saves list
Olde Judge Mansion
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3300 Sixth Avenue, Corner of Glen and Sixth, Troy, NY 12180-1206   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Troy
Michigan
“Rundown neighborhood spoils an otherwise cozy B&B”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed at Old Judge Mansion while visiting our daughter at RPI. The Inn itself was nicely furnished, with comfortable rooms. We opted for a private bathroom down the hall (some rooms have ensuite bathrooms) and were perfectly comfortable with our choice. The hot breakfast food was not fabulous, but was plentiful, and there were additional options like cold cereal, toast, etc. Our hostess was friendly and we enjoyed the other guests. That said, we did not feel comfortable with the neighborhood. We were nervous just walking from the parking lot in back of the Inn to the front door. We did not even consider walking from the Inn to the main downtown area (less than a mile away). Different folks will have different comfort levels with urban neighborhoods. We learned from this experience that we cannot stay in that neighborhood again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
North Reading, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a trip to the Adirondacks. We spent time in Saratoga Springs and took a railroad round-trip excursion to North Creek from Saratoga Springs... also a great day trip and a wonderful value!

Our springboard was the Olde Judge Mansion, and what a delight it was! Located in a somewhat depressed area, the home itself presents a gorgeous trip back in history, with beautiful woodwork, architecture, and many period furnishings. A fenced-in back parking area provides safety and security for visitors and their vehicles.

Our room was spacious, warm, and inviting. Everything in the house was so very clean and home like. The bed was comfy cozy, and we enjoyed a wonderful balance of great hospitality and privacy during our stay. Though our bathroom (private) was situated down the hall, it was nevertheless a convenient access. (A robe was provided, too, if needed, for trips to the bathroom!)

We were served delicious full, hot breakfasts every day (with choices) and received a wonderful history of Troy from B&B proprietor, Tina.

The rate couldn't be beat, and we must say we were very disappointed when it came to spending a ;later night closer to home in a regular motel chain! We paid more at the motel, and the value was far less!

We highly recommend the Olde Judge Mansion for others to consider when visiting the area.

Room Tip: Tina has a selection for everyone... from the sole business traveler... to a couple... to a family.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This lovely old home is furnished with antiques and love. We spent one night here in conjunction with a visit to Rensselaer Polytech. The owner, Tina was very warm and welcoming, giving us detailed instructions on how to find the inn and advance information about the area, eateries, and the extensive choices at breakfast. She really went out of her way to make us feel comfortable. We slept well and enjoyed a delicious breakfast.

The only reservation I would have about staying here again was the inn is in a rundown-but-gentrifying neighborhood. We were a bit uneasy when we parked in the lot at the rear of the mansion at night and walked around the corner to get to the mansion's front door security system. That, and the fact that the bathrooms were not ensuite, helps to explain the very affordable pricing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Leominster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Gorgeously restored large, ornate Victorian house tucked away in a densely populated section of Troy yet close to the downtown and local attractions. The innkeepers are genuine, hospitable and very knowledgeable of the area. They will make you feel comfortable and at home. The wood paneling is beautiful. There are high ceilings in all the rooms and lovely fireplaces on the main floor that are some of its features. Because of the inn's location it can be noisy especially at night. Don't let the area deter you from enjoying this beautiful inn and its hospitable innkeepers. There is off-street parking that is fenced off. There is a breakfast menu with a sumptuous spread. There is a computer for guest use, a formal living room and sitting room on the second floor with videos available for watching. Some rooms have private baths, others have shared bathrooms. The room we had on the second floor had a shared back on the first floor. This is a gem of a house worth the stay when in Troy.

Room Tip: Request a room with a private bath or one across the small hallway
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I traveled to Troy to attend my younger brother's graduation. Since my husband couldn't come with me, I wanted to be able to stay in a place that felt like a friend's house - but I don't know anyone well enough in that part of the country to stay with them. When I found out about the Olde Judge Mansion, I thought for sure it was too good to be true. But I booked a room anyway, and I am so glad that I did! The owner, Tina, is very friendly. The Mansion itself is gorgeous. My room (the Dunphy Room) was cozy and quiet. Even though the Dunphy Room is advertised as sharing a bathroom with another room, it actually shares two bathrooms - one with a toilet and a shower/tub-jacuzzi, the other with just a toilet. By the time I left, I definitely felt like I had been staying at a friend's house - a very generous friend with a big, beautiful old house! For the price, too, it was more than worth it.

I do want to say that I've seen a few reviews that talk about the area around the Mansion being less-than-ideal, but I did not find this to be the case. There are a lot of old Victorian houses in this area of Troy, most of which seem to be divided up and rented out. But I saw a lot of people sitting out on their front steps, talking to friends and passers-by, when I was there, and a lot of kids riding their bikes down the street or walking around with their friends. The area is low-income for sure, but I even went for a walk with my digital camera while I was there, and no one bothered me at all. My grandparents even waved at and joked with a few of the people who were driving down the street making a lot of noise. So while it may seem at first glance like a bad neighborhood, it's really not.

If you're going to Troy, don't miss the Olde Judge Mansion and don't miss all of the beautiful old buildings in the neighborhood! I hope my brother gives me a good reason to go back soon, and I will definitely stay at the Mansion again next time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Eastern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

The Olde Judge Mansion (OJM) is a lovely historic home and a must for those who love the architectural detail of days gone by. The proprietors are warm and friendly ... including the feline parking lot attendant! The cats do not come into the B&B part of the building so those with allergies need not worry.

I stayed in the comfortable Carpenter Room with its ensuite bath. The bed was comfortable and everything was spotless.

The B&B has high speed internet - I was able to get online using my netbook. I truly appreciated the telephone service: you can call anywhere in the US or Canada for no charge.

I was there for poker night and the folks playing let me sit and watch ... not that I had much idea what was going on. It made me want to learn to play!

Breakfast was tasty, plentiful and efficiently served.

Tina showed me around the B&B and described its interesting architectural features, which include tin walls, gorgeous woodwork, and striking ceiling detail.

If you stay at the Old Judge Mansion you must be able to climb stairs ... from the front steps to the stairs to the bedrooms.

I'd happily stay here again! Thank you Tina, and staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stopped here for the night, passing through Troy on our way to pick up a child from school. The proprietress was extremely helpful, making sure we could get in, despite arriving late. There is fenced-in parking right beside the building, with a designated spot for each room. There was a tasty snack in the evening, and breakfast was very good in the morning. I would, however, wish for real maple syrup for pancakes.

We stayed in the Urzan room, which turned out to have a significant drawback - street noise. The building is on one corner of a moderately busy intersection, with a convenience store/gas station diagonally across the street. The room has a window air conditioner set up, but it lets in outside sound about as well as an open window. We were woken up at 5 am by someone in the intersection gunning the engine on his barely-muffled motorcycle. The Urzan room is right on the corner of the building at the intersection. If (or probably, when) we stay there again, I would aim for one of the rooms away from the street.

I would also note that, at least in the Urzan room, the windows shades were of the light diffusing rather than light blocking variety. Between the street noise and the light, the Urzan room is not where I would be if I want to sleep late in the summer.

The "private bathroom" isn't exactly what I expected. Yes, the room has its own bathroom, but it is down the hall, at the other end of the building. Robes come with the room, so it isn't really a problem, but you will have to ask for it if you want a room with the bathroom accessible from the bedroom.

Finally, if you sleep on your side and you want a pillow with some height, you better ask for it. Our pillows were about 1 inch thick. Peeking into other rooms that were unused, I did see more substantial pillows.

So, I have some gripes about the place, but nothing that would prevent me from going back, albeit probably in a different room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Olde Judge Mansion? Share your experiences!