“Home run... Out of the park great.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Cape May, New Jersey
“Home run... Out of the park great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Up in Albany with my wife and kids, one of which had just graduated college (one down, one to go), for the Dave Matthews Band concert at the SPAC. Looked up brew pubs in the area. We found Brown's. This riverside pub was firing on all cylinders. Hip, packed, outstanding food and great beer. There are many brew pubs that boast great beer but only a few deliver. This one delivered and then some.

My daughter and I shared a flight of 10 beer samples ranging from IPA's and Hefenweiser to Oatmeal Brown Stout. They were outstanding... All of them. I focused on the Hefeweisen, my wife on the Cherry Rasbery Ale and my daughter on the Oatmeal Stout. My son... sadly only 20, had to settle for iced tea.

Food was equally worthy. The pulled pork with cherry raspberry ale BBQ sauce was crazy great. I had the Hombre burger. Spicy greatness. Habenero cheese, jalapeños and chipotle ketchup. Perfectly cooked and served with rosemary sea salt fries. This is a pub? I don't think so. This is gastro fun times worthy of the trip to Troy. So much fun, it might be worth a trip back to Troy just to hit Brown's.

The only bummer? They did not have the Whisky Porter to give a go. Maybe next time.

Visited May 2013

Schoharie, New York
“brew pub with great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We came here mainly to try the beers, but ended up having something to eat to. We had a flight so we could try all the beers. My favourite was the whiskey porter, but all of their beers were excellent. The food was good and everything on the menu sounded delicious. We both had burgers, a tequila gazpacho and a chicken speidie wrap. The wrap was really good, and would definitely have this again. The only down side was that the service was quite slow, although we did go on a Saturday evening and the place was heaving.

• Visited May 2013
Albany, NY
“One of my favorite local places”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My fiance and I love this place. We go in almost weekly, mostly for the beer. The beer is fantastic, it's hard to go wrong when choosing one but my favorites are the Whiskey Porter and Oatmeal Stout. I should note, I don't normally drink beer, don't order it at other bars, but the Whiskey Porter is just so unique and creamy and so is the Oatmeal Stout if you're looking for something with slightly less punch. The food is very good as well, best chicken fingers I've ever had in my life and their homemade dipping sauces are great. I have to admit, I've had better chicken wings elsewhere, however. Our favorite sandwiches are the Hickory Chicken sandwich and the Reuben. The only thing we don't really like about the place is that it tends to get very loud around late-night dinner time. The music gets turned up way too loud and it's makes it very hard to hear normal conversation even upstairs. We've never had a bad server and everyone is really nice. We went in a few weeks ago with our friends and their two small children. They were very accommodating. My fiance was given a free flight of beers because it was his birthday, which was a very nice touch. During the warmer months they have outdoor seating on the second floor patio right on the river.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The fried green beans and aioli mayo grilled vegetable sandwich were fabulous!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The cheerful wait staff and view of fishing boats on the Hudson made the Sunday afternoon memorable.

• Visited May 2013
Saugerties, New York
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Had not been here before, but this was the perfect end to a great weekend. Place was packed after we arrived by the group returning from TAP NY festival. Staff did a great job and the food was wonderful. Had the gorgonzola steak and the shrimp and pasta, and had plenty of food for a couple lunches left over. Beer was even better than the food (if that is possible) - could have had another couple whiskey porters if we had brought a designated driver. The space is wonderful as well and a great location along the river. This will definitely be one of our go to places now when we are the Albany area.

• Visited April 2013