“Rat Hole” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Tonawanda
Buffalo, New York
“Rat Hole”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have NEVER in our lives stayed at such a disgusting, vile, filthy motel. I can't believe the department of health has not shut them down. I can not say one positive thing about this motel. The staff were rude, the television did not work. The heat did not work. I could not believe how awful it was. They would not refund our money but we left anyway. It was worth $55.00 to NOT stay there.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked this hotel based on other reviews which were ok..my daughter & i were going to a concert in buffalo and needed to stay overnight..the room was dark, had no smoke detector (which i mentioned to the owner.she just shrugged and smiled), the vent in the bathroom was broken and laying on the floor w/ all the surrounding dirt..spider web in the shower..the door looked as though it had been bashed in a few times..the towels were the thinnest, roughest towels i have ever seen..absolutely no amenities..no shampoo, hairdryer, etc..on the plus side..the sheets smelled like they had been washed in bleach..threw everything else on the floor, (blankets w/ cigarette holes in them)..we couldn't wait to leave..i would recommend spending an extra $20 and go somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was travelling with 4 adults and 1 kid (<2 yrs) on a Friday night enroute to Niagara falls, we decided to stay close to the falls so that we can wake up late on Saturday morning and spend the rest of the day. I don't have reservation and ended up seeing no vacancy at most of the hotels (from hotels in Buffalo downtown to Inns in Tonawanda and other neighboring places). Luckily stopped at this location and found 1 non smoking room available. Person at the front desk is helpful even at the odd hours (I reached there by 11.45 PM) and was kind enough to show the room for my decision. It is clean and has a small fridge and microwave too. There is no breakfast, but the Location is safe and close to some breakfast places.

One negative though is the blanket has cigarette marks, that is probably due to them getting switched between the rooms, but I didn't care as it is Summer left them on the floor.

Will visit again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Room was clean
No problem with the air conditioning
we booked last minute so we weren't too picky on the price and location.
The only thing i didn't like was my drunk neighbor coming in @ night trying to open my door thinking its his...cant blame the hotel for that but yeah...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a right place to stay if u have planning to shoping for a couple of nights! Room was extra
clean and there is small fridge and microwave in the room,lots of shopping mall close by!
We felt safe here, we would stay there again,and canadian border and niagara falls is only 10 minutes.

Room Tip: all rooms are ground floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here over a holiday weekend and the rate was expensive, but considering the place was out of vacant rooms soon after and other places in the city were just as expensive or worse, I ponied up the $150.

I thought I'd be getting a dingy road-side motel I wouldn't even want to pay $50 for (I had stayed at a place like this in Buffalo before, with ants in it too...) . Turns out it's actually quite clean and comfortable. As the name suggest, you're not getting any luxuries here. A bar of soap/shampoo is about all the amenities you get, but there is also a mini fridge, microwave and old TV. The bed was comfortable and I slept through the night. The AC was cold enough without being too TOO noisy

Location wise, this place is good. 15-20 min drive to Walden Galleria. Minutes to lots of places to eat at (Ended up eating at the Taj Grill and Sophia's Restaurant, both places with excellent reviews and just a short drive away.) Places like Target, 7-11 aren't too far away.

The only personal qualms I had were with the door keys, you have to move it "just right" so that it'd open. I was surprised the vending didn't sell water either, as the family next door needed it and had to go to the gas station to purchase some.

Anyway, it looks like the "typical" rate for this place is closer to $50-60, so at that price, I'd stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

In late August 2012, my wife, myself and a friend went for a shopping weekend, and the only reasonably priced accommodation near the Fashion Outlet mall we could find was this Budget Inn in Tonawanda. It's a traditional motel with rooms facing the road.

Our room was a good size with two double beds and a small bathroom. It was reasonably clean and comfortable for an overnight stay. Nothing around this inn but a gas station with a small convenience store. Free wi-fi, no breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tonawanda
CenterWay Hotel
Sleep Inn
#3 of 18 in Amherst
4.0 of 5 stars 208 reviews
Extended Stay America - Buffalo - Amherst

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!