“Mr wood” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Riverside Hotel

You added Riverside Hotel to your Saves list
Riverside Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Riverside Drive, Branston, Burton upon Trent DE14 3EP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
midfield west yorkshire
“Mr wood”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Called in for lunch, on way back from Birmingham, restaurant was empty apart from a couple eating outside, place was clean and tidy, ordered our food, and when it arrived, the food was terrible, the chips were grey in colour, the burger was dry and not fit to eat , the onion rings were also burnt my daughter ordered scampi, which was burnt, when the waiter came to collect our plates, he never asked how was the meal, just asked if we were finished, I told him the food was not fit to eat, think he was embarrassed to serve it, and did not charge us for the food

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
May I add my sincerest apologies for this terrible meal. There is no excuse for serving food of this standard, and I can only apologise, and I'm thankful that my bar manager did not charge you for your meal. This was my previous head chefs last shift and last meal that he cooked, as he was sent off after serving such a poor meal. We pride ourselves on delivering good British Pub food delivered by friendly and helpful team members, and I'm proud to say that 99% of the time we deliver this, and since your visit on 20 May, our new Head chef has been producing some fantastic meals, as is evident from the reviews we have recieved below. I do hope that you will try us again, next time you are in the area, so that you may experience our true food quality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Although the hotel itself is a bit tired ,with small bathrooms , ithe rooms are clean and the staff, food ,bar prices and service were good.The garden to the rear ,down to the river , is very nice but a word of warning ---IF you are offered a "riverside view room " ,double check that there is no wedding or similar event on whilst you are staying . Guests at these also like the garden and ,if our stay is anything to go by , the hotel staff make no effort to ensure that their partying is going on in the part of the patio/garden away from these rooms . Overall effect is noise till after 1 a.m and very little sleep!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you for for taking the time to let us know about your visit. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team, food, bar prices and service to be good and that you enjoyed our garden and riverside location. I'm so sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed by other guests. We host weddings most weekends and usually manage to keep the wedding guests confined to the function side of the hotel so that their noise does not impact on our other guests. We have reviewed Saturday night, and believe that by showing the England game in our bar at 11pm, this caused a number of guests to move from the funtion suite to the bar area and then outside into the garden. We have already altered the way that we will close the bar at the end of the night to ensure that any noisy guests are prevented from exiting through the garden doors immiediately outside the bedroom wing and I'm confident that this new measure ensure a good nights sleep is had by all.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Attended a family wedding and stayed overnight. OK the place is a bit tired and could do with a makeover, and our room was small, with a smaller bathroom, but still enjoyed the experience. The service was excellent, food was ok, drinks reasonably priced, and the event well organised. Nice garden to the back down to the river. Pleasantly surprised.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the wedding and found our service to be excellent and the wedding well organised. We look forward to seeing you again at the next wedding!!
A Sunny Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We paid £40 B and B for 2 people. Wasn't really sure what to expect for the price we paid. Overall we had a lovely stay and would come back. I booked through booking.com the day before our stay requests river view would be lovely and an easy accessible room, simply requested these as I have mobility problem. When we arrived check in was quick but slightly abrupt. Pre authorisation of £10 taken on cc. Room 8 ground floor partial view of river and swans in the distance. In the room good size flat screen tv. Very comfy double bed, great nights sleep. Extra pillows in the wardrobe. Opening window that fully opens and an inner one with mesh to keep the bitters out! Ceiling light and one bedside lamp one bedside cabinet no room for a second as it would mean limited access to bathroom door. Small wardrobe a few hangers not a problem as stayed overnight. tea, coffee, hot chocolate and two packets of biscuits. There was a hair dryer and fan. There is a desk and a chair. The facilities of the room I thought were great and appreciated the biscuits a nice gesture. Bathroom body come hand wash and body lotion supplied. Full size bath, shower fixed head type. My only criticism about the bathroom is the positioning of the toilet between the bath and a wall, it's quite a tight space. The bathroom itself is a good size. Window can't be opened due to the height of it but there is a fan when you turn on the bathroom light.

Dinner. Well having waited approx 20 mins at the bar to be served where the lady only seemed to serve the men, I walked away found another member of staff and asked to be seated in the restaurant. That was full or reservations for tables, but she did find us a table. The waitress we had was very pleasant, don't know her name but it was her first day. Menu you can have 2 mains for £9.99 we didn't have this menu. My husband had sirloin steak and ice cream, I had Stilton grape and apple salad, side orders chips for me and onion rings for him, desert cheesecake, 2 drinks bill £40. Food was good. My salad was missing the soya beans. Service friendly. They could do with an extra member of staff on during the busy times, as the lady who checked us in was also a waitress, who looked rather unwell i noticed during the evening. Breakfast. Tea or coffee and toast. Help yourself to muffins, juices, cereals, fruit, yoghurt. Cooked breakfast lots of options. He had full English I had scrambled egg with smoked salmon and grilled tomato. Good sized portions. Served by Natalie very friendly and chatty. We were offered more tea and toast.there is a lovely garden with views of the river. We stayed here for one night as visiting relatives in Burton. We will stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let future guests know about the hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would stay again. I'll have a word with my bar lady today and ensure that she serves our customers in the correct order going forward. Thank you for the lovely picture that you took of the hotel, I'm sure future guests will really appreciate a sneak preview of The Riverside. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Chorley
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

The Riverside is a cheap enough place to stay and you really need to remember this when you get into the bedrooms. Yes they are clean, but they are small, basic, old fashioned (but without charm) and a little shabby. The beds aren’t the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in, but I’ve stayed in much worse. The somewhat dangerous looking three pugs into one adaptor looked a little dubious and the toilet is so close to the wall and bath that some people simply wouldn’t fit. The main issue is not easily rectified though; it’s a 1970’s built pub with a set of box like rooms stuck on the side. Sadly now feeling its age, as with all of us 70’s children.
At £50 per night though some may prefer it to a Travelodge/Premier Inn (which cannot be had in Burton for that money).

The pub and its fare is pretty standard UK value pub chain offering and not really worth commenting on; edible, but no awards anytime soon.

I do have to mention all the staff though. From reception to bar to restaurant, all were very friendly pleasant and a credit to the manager and Pub Co.

Would I stay again? If had to, yes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so please to hear that you found my tream to be very friendly, pleasant and a credit to me. We always try our hardest to impress our customers so where we can make an impact on our customers with great service and clean rooms we always aim to deliver this. I'm sorry to hear that you did not find our beds comfortable, so I'll go try the bed out tomorrow, as soon as todays guests leave to see if perhaps the mattress needs replacing, as we usually get rave reviews about the comfort of our beds. I'm glad we could return your teddy to you!!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight and found the rooms very clean and spacious. Dinner was lovely in the restaurant, the staff were awesome. Great sense of humour and breakfast was very nice too, the buffet was a little small if you didn't want a cooked breakfast, but the cooked breakfast was lovely Great location for a relaxed overnight stay. Very quiet

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us and others know about your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you found our rooms to be very clean and spacious and that you enjoyed your dinnder with us. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are back in the UK.
East Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

We stayed for 7 nights from 5th May 2014 and were booked in by a very helpful receptionist. All the staff were helpful, attentive and polite. The breakfast was excellent and dinners of what I will call pub grub were served on time and were well cooked.
The location, on the banks of a tranquil river Trent with riverside paths that are easy to access is very pleasant.
We had room 20, which had a view of the river. This room was small with a very small ensuite bathroom. Whilst it would have been nice to have a bit more space, once we were organised, it was adequate. The bed room seemed clean but the floor of the bathroom was dirty when we arrived, though this was quickly sorted by the housekeeper when her attention was drawn to it.
We enjoyed the atmosphere of the place and the service given by all members of staff was excellent. Larger bedrooms and bathrooms would have been nice but would require a complete rebuild of the accommodation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at The Riverside and for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found my team to be helpful, attentive and polite and that you enjoyed your meals. We do have a lovely location hear on the river and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the walks along the river.

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!