“Excellent Location, Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riverside Hotel

You added Riverside Hotel to your Saves list
Riverside Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Riverside Drive, Branston, Burton upon Trent DE14 3EP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent Location, Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights due to me needing to be at nearby St Georges Park.
Upon arrival I found staff to be very friendly and helpful and I was quickly checked in. Entering my room, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the room and what it had to offer (plenty of tea & coffee, complimentary toiletries and sky tv). I also have a great view from my room overlooking the river. I eat in the restaurant attached to the hotel and was pleased with the selection which was reasonably priced.

The following morning I went downstairs for breakfast but was disappointed with the quality of the scrambled eggs on toast I ordered as the eggs yeah hard and seemed to have been sat around for a while.

Overall, the hotel is very good, the only issues being the breakfast (although the following day I had the full english and it was excellent) and a few minor maintenance issues (peeling wall paper around the light and a loose pipe in the bathroom).

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the river
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at The Riverside and for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will have a word with the chef regarding your scrambled eggs, perhaps he overcooked them a bit, as as you mentioned your breakfast the next morning was excellent. We look forward to seeing you again next time you visit St Georges Park.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed at the Riverside hotel in mid April as we were visiting both Alton Towers and Drayton Manor Theme parks and the hotel was ideally situated for both. The hotel itself had a fabulous position on the river, great food, well presented and excellent value for money. The rooms were comfortable and clean, and the staff very friendly. Again very good value.
Don't rely on Sat-Nav. It will take you down the wrong road! There is a sign for the hotel on the main road, and use your map!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found my team to be friendly and our food to be great and excellent value for money. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, perhaps in the summer, when you can really take advantage our our fabulous position.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My room was very small, which is not a huge deal but the bathroom was tiny! The shower was pretty grotty and it was not nice at all.
Service to get towels which were not left in my room took over 40 minutes!
Breakfast was nice however, the restaurant overlooks the river which is lovely at sunrise.
Rooms need a serious revamp, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you found our rooms to compact and that you would not stay with us again. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and that you found our location to be lovely.
Barnstaple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed 5 nights from 8th until 13 April, very comfortable bed, plenty of hot water, excellent shower, 5* breakfast served by Natalie and Chrissie. We ate in the restaurant for an evening meal which was excellent with a good choice of menu. With the economic climate it is very difficult to afford to do up hotels with a small budget and this is the only place this hotel falls down upon but this is not a negative in any way because the overall ambience of this hotel far outweighs the repainting which needs doing. On the Saturday a Wedding was taking place and as all the rooms are in a separate complex, the bedrooms were not affected by noise so it is versatile for any function. As we have family in Derby we will certainly stay there again. Nigel and Tricia Griffin North Devon

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found our food to be excellent and my team to be lovely. We look forward to seeing you again, perhaps this summer?
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Accommodation is a classic two-storey block separate from the main building. The rooms are small but spotlessly clean and are exceptionally good value for money. If you can get one on the first floor on the river side then the views over the River Trent are absolutely stunning.

The main building, by contrast is full of character with good bar and eating areas, inside and out with the outside area overlooking and having access to the Trent. Both dinner and breakfast were extremely good and again represented quite exceptional value for money. We finished up having dinner, bed and breakfast for two, morning paper and two excellent cappuccino coffees and getting a penny change out of £50

All this said, the really outstanding thing about this hotel is the staff who are, beyond doubt, the best team I have come across in an establishment of this kind - or indeed in establishments where the bill would have been four times as much. The manager, Andrew, the bar and restaurant staff, breakfast staff, chamber maids and the guy I met early morning shifting cigarette butts off the grass all had a superb attitude. Thanks and congratulations

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let everyone know just how good we are!! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at The riverside and found Andrew and his team to be the best team you have encountered. I'm sure you'll be returning to The Riverside soon, and we look forward to hosting you again.
LIVERPOOL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We booked this hotel for a weekend break with friends after receiving a special offer from Old English inns the offer was applicable to many of the groups hotels but we had never been to this part of the country before so thought it was worth a try, We were most certainly not disappointed yes we had read previous reviews stating the rooms in the hotel could do with new windows and maybe even a refurb and to some extent this is true, however I tend to judge any hotel we visit on an overall Value for money basis I just think this let's you compare any hotel on a level basis.

Value for money here is second to none yes the rooms are a little compact and the windows are wooden framed but the room we were allocated on the first floor with a view of the river was spotlessly clean and contained all we would need for the weekend the bathroom had an amazing shower albeit over bath and let's face it you do not spend that much time in the room anyway, Oh they even had Sky on the TV including Sky movies and free wi-fi you don't find that sort of thing at this sort of price level so often.

We ate breakfast and evening meal at the hotel on both days of our stay we expected Pub food what we received was food of a far higher standard than the normal pub grub but at pub prices, each and every member of staff that we met were so committed to guest satisfaction it made it a pleasure for us to stay here and we would not hesitate in recommending the hotel to all.

Finally, I tend not to mention members of staff by name in reviews that I write, and as I have said above all were excellent in there jobs but an exception is in order here, Karen Butler what an amazing lady and one of the most friendly and professional people it has ever been our pleasure to meet, she seemed to be around the hotel 24/7 (I am sure she must go home occasionally)

Thank you Karen and all of the staff at The Riverside hotel for making our weekend away so enjoyable.

John & Yvonne

Room Tip: River view first floor
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let other potential guests know just how enjoyable a stay you had. We always look after our guest as if they are friends or family who have come to visit as we find that taking a genuine interest in people makes our jobs more enjoyable and we get to meet some fantastic people each and every day. We look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps in the summer?
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

If u go there make sure u book room 24.all other room r on the small side.the staff r very helpful aspecial the waitress who does breakfast which was very nice.the hotel needs new windows.the grounds r by the trent river with a nice walk along its banks.we went to brent on trent 4 the daynice place if u go park in asda carpark.its not free but cheap.if u r looking 4 a chinese go to the fill yr books chinese at the wing wah very nice

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be very helpful and that you enjoyed our breakfasts. Room 24, which is our superior room, is a lovely room and I think is definately worth spoiling yourself that little bit extra for this fantastic room. We look forward to seeing you again soon, perhaps in the summer, when you can really take advantage our our idealic location right on the River Trent.

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!