“Chinese in Ticonderoga NY” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 21 Restaurants in Ticonderoga
Cuisines: Chinese
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Chinese in Ticonderoga NY”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Had Pork Chow Mien - okay but nothing to write home about - egg roll was good - only chinese in town

Visited November 2012

Phoenix
“Gloomy Performer”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

The Happy Star restaurant sits across the street from the laundrymat in Ticonderoga.. Ticonderoga is a famous Revolutionary War hamlet in the northern Adirondaks of New York State. A small town of perhaps 5000 citizens. Check your history, you may want to visit this cute little town.

As it so happened I was sitting doing my laundry near lunch time when I suggested to my wife I go across the street and pick us up some chinese for lunch. Now this location is a busy 4 way stop intersection and be careful crossing the street outside the crosswalks as not everyone sees a need to stop at the stop signs. The last thing you want is your newly purchased meal spread over the asphalt, or do you?

I have eaten chinese food all over the world. I must say, I think as a food variety, chinese is one of the most consistent. The only place I had chinese food that I did not like, was in Tibet in 1992. However I think part of that was due to the altitude sickness I had and I am not holding it against them. Maybe the Chinese were not preparing theTibetans their best cooked recipes since libertating them from their own independence.

Well that was until September of 2011 when I had chinese at the Happy Star. I have to tell you I was shocked at how bland the taste was. Out of thousands of chinese style meals I have had this was the worst, which was confirmed by my bride.

When you enter the restaurant it immediately becomes obvious that it needs a real scrubbing. I am not talking sweeping and a mop across the floor, I mean a true scrubbing from floor to ceiling. This alone will not deter me from ordering a meal, as some of the best meals I have had, have come from restaurants that could use a little tlc cleaning. Hey, and when you are done with that, add some fresh paint.

I believe the couple cooking and running the place are probably the owners who are very polite, courteous and personable, but that wasnt enough to carry them successfully through this meal fiasco.

We ordered two different chinese meals and added egg rolls. I asked for fortune cookies and they never gave them to me. The meal was to go and I have to tell you, I would never have considered eating in their dining room it was just to dirty.

I had noodles and chicken. The noodles were lifeless and soaked with a brown tasteless colored sauce that I could not identify. The chicken was all dark meet, mostly of fat and grizzle. My wifes chicken and rice was equally as poor. The difference was hers had a thick white colored sauce that looked like some type of congealed goo. It was inedilble and you had to pick around it for the food that had not been victimized by it.

The egg rolls, when I first bit into them, I thought they were going to be the saviors of this meal, uh no, epsiode. The egg rolls had a great crispy texture and were cooked perfectly. Their innards were fresh, but that was where it stopped. Again, they had absolutely no taste, bland egg rolls, couldnt believe it.

On top of all this, it cost me about $16! The only thing we could salvage from it was the pepsi and mountain dew, the rest went in the trash. When I thought about spending$16 dollars there and what I could have had in town instead it really upset me. There are numerous other great little food places around, including a quality standard McDonald's.

My guess is if Happy Star had been operating in the times of Benedict Arnold, Eathan Allen, and others at and around Fort Ticonderoga, they might have raged their battle in another direction. That is what I might suggest for you when considering lunch at the Happy Star.

• Visited September 2011