“Lovely grounds; but they forgot the obvious creature comforts” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
“Lovely grounds; but they forgot the obvious creature comforts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed in the cottage (which is not listed on the web site), a pokey 1930s 3-room building, charming on the outside, but ludicrously laid out within. Although it is known as a conference center, this hotel has no suites for a small business meeting; so we had 2 unconnected rooms that were across the hall from each other: a bedroom, and a living room -- each requiring separate keys that do not open the other room. Each has a full bathroom, but they have no towel bars, and no soapdish or shelf in the stall shower (where are you supposed to put your soap and shampoo/conditioner? On the floor?). You have to step outside the shower and walk to the other end of the room to grab a towel or robe, unless you want to leave it on the floor outside the shower stall. The sink and towels are in a dressing area outside the bathroom, though there is plenty of room in the bathrooms for these amenities.

The rooms are very dark and the blinds didn't stay open. The refrigerators will only keep water cool, but will not keep refreshments cold. Not very practical when you are hosting a meeting in the living room.

Breakfast, which was included in the package, offered abundant options, from dry cereals and rolls/muffins to fresh fruit, smoked salmon, and made to order omelets and waffles.

I wouldn't recommend staying in the cottage, though the other rooms may be brighter and more comfortable. Therefore, I will leave open the possibility that the rest of the hotel might be more congenial to travelers.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

My Mom and I went away for her 77th birthday. We love touring old houses/mansions and so we decided to do the ones around Tarrytown. We were not disappointed. The weather cooperated beautifully. The hotel lived up to it's website description -- the staff was wonderful and helpful (despite 2 weddings taking place that weekend!). Their restaurant suggestions were perfect (though we did get a little lost it really wasn't their fault -- the sign said one name going right and another name going left and we never looked left!!). Our room was very comfortable and inviting. Tarrytown and it's surrounding areas has so much to offer. I want to come back next time with mu husband.
oh, and we got a great internet rate -- so the value was exceptional!!

• Stayed September 2009
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

The grounds of the Tarrytown House are magnificent. They reflect the surrounding area with the lush green lawns and beautiful flowers.

The estate is comprised of several buildings. After checking in, the staff advised me where to park and how to get to my room from the front desk.

The room was clean and comfortable. The most pleasant surprise were the toiletries provided by Bath and Body Works.

I called the front desk with a request very late in the evening. The staff was prompt and courteous when assisting me, just as they were when I checked in. Their service was outstanding, and much appreciated.

While I did not have the time to enjoy all the amenities the hotel had to offer, I would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone staying in the Tarrytown area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

I stayed here on business in June 2009. It was only a few minutes by cab to the NYC Metro station. I took the express train to Grand Central, and was in mid-town NYC in 45 minutes. I wanted the convenience of getting to NYC, but wanted a place to relax in the evening. This place fit my needs perfectly. The grounds are peaceful ( a little hilly). I used the indoor pool and sauna, which was quite large for a hotel in the NYC area. The pool and hot tub were a little worn, but very adequate. The fitness machines were state of the art. I had the fitness center to myself in the late afternoon. For dinner, I went to a mexican restaurant in town, forgot the name, but the food was great, although the service was slow. The hotel room was nicely furnished, the bed was soooo comfortable! I guarantee that you will hate to get out of it in the morning. I am going back to NYC for business soon, and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

Our group went to Tarrytown to do important work together, but we also had a wonderful time together as well. The facilities were very well maintained and the grounds were serene and welcoming. The rooms for our meetings and for our overnight stays were clean and comfortable and classy. One of the best aspects of our stay was the food. The three-course dinner was fantastic; the buffet breakfast and lunches offered a wide array of both healthy and indulgent options; even the refreshments table by our meeting room was laid out luxuriously.

My favorite part of the visit, however, was the wonderful service. Everyone we met was friendly and helpful and made us feel at home. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Conn.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

PROS: $77 on Priceline for a Sat night stay. Very pretty property. Welcoming staff. Updated, newer looking rooms with comfortable beds w/ duvets and feather pillows. Flat screens in the rooms and refrigerators, coffee makers and radios. Marble sink area seperate from bath.

Kids enjoyed virgin pina coladas ($6) and large, delicious cheeseburgers ($9) by the outdoor pool. Daily buffet breakfast was in a beautiful dining room w/views and was delicious! ($15pp if added to your stay at check in, but $25 if purchased in the morning). Nice indoor pool, gym, raquetball court, basketball court, etc.

Surrounding area very nice with other mansions and estates you can tour for a fee. On weekends parking is free at the Metro North station which is only 5 minutes from the hotel and train into NYC is only $8 each way. Clean, comfortable 40 minute train ride along the Hudson River... very pretty. Trains run about every half hour.

CONS: Not too many! Air conditioning unit was older, but did the job. Parking hard to find on Saturday night due to a wedding, but additional parking available in rear.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Bethpage, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My husband and I were looking for a nice getaway within an hour of NYC for our anniversary celebration. We really wanted an outdoor pool, restaurant and bar all in one place. This place had it all and we had a great time.

I was a little upset at how small the pool area was. There were 3 weddings going on this weekend (Labor Day) so the hotel was pretty crowded, as was the pool area.
We got there very early (11am) and couldn't check in our room until 3:30pm, so we just stayed by the pool all day and drank and had lunch. All the chairs were gone by 11am..both days. There is a cute little pool bar with some lunch food, and it was pretty good. I can recommend the veggie burger and my husband can recommend the regular cheeseburger. It wasn't terribly expensive for drinks either. Burgers were about $9.

The grounds were really nice and I saw some wildlife (coming from the city, its exciting to me) A badger and a couple of deer grazing for a while.

The room we stayed in was in the Atrium section and we had views of the Hudson River and Tappan Zee (I think) bridge. It was very clean and nice. We were happy with the room. Seemed to be newly updated. The shower was great too. The pillows were a little flat for my taste.

I used the gym and it was terrific!! Nice and clean. The jacuzzi indoors was also great!

We ate at the Cellar 49 restaurant the first night and it was really good. The best seasoned butter, with the bread. We had crabcake sliders for an appetizer and they were soooo good. I also had the nachos, mashed potatoes and broccoli rabe. All were good. My husband had a blue cheeseburger which he said was just ok. The service was great in my book!

We went out to town the 2nd night and I can highly recommend the Sunset Cove. Great dinner and dancing!!

All in all it was a nice stay at a clean, friendly hotel. Not your typical hotel and it was very convenient to NYC. We would probably not stay again on a holiday weekend, b/c of all the weddings.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Tarrytown House Estate & Conference Center? Share your experiences!