“Nice, but over priced” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Florence, CO
“Nice, but over priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

Decent place. Clean and quiet. Friendly, helpful staff. Over priced ($199), but so is every other decent hotel in the area. Some great diners near by. Recommend the Eldorado.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

My family lives in the Tarrytown area, and I stay at this hotel most of the times that I visit. I usually get the booking through Priceline, at a greatly discounted price. On this particular trip, I stayed 8 nights.

The hotel is typical for a Courtyard -- clean, nice furnishings, most everything you need (except a restaurant for lunch or dinner). The hotel is set well back from the street, so there's not much noise from the outside. At night, I often see deer walking around, which is kind of fun.

On this particular trip, the jacuzzi was broken when we arrived. For several days, we were told that the jacuzzi would be fixed in the next day or so. I think it was finally working on day 7 of our 8 day stay.

The guests at the hotel tend not to be particularly quiet on the weekends, when the clientele switches from business people to party guests (this has been my experience on many stays at this property over the past 20 years). On this particular trip, a mom had booked a couple of rooms across the hall from me for a slumber party for about six 10-year old girls. On my prior trip (in Feb 2009), there were two 20ish year old couples in the next room partying loudly at about 3 AM. I called the manager, and who came up to the room and knocked loudly on the door. The people in the room wouldn't open the door for a few minutes, and when they eventually did, the manager smelled marijuana and saw a bong. He yelled at them that if they weren't out of the hotel within 10 minutes he was going to call the police. After several minutes of yelling back and forth, he let these people stay.

Also on this trip, someone hit my rental car in the back parking lot, and did a fair amount of damage. I think this goes along with the general party atmosphere on the weekends.

So I guess, you stay at your own risk on weekends. Could be very nice, could be very noisy. On weekdays, it's great.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

I read the reviews. I knew about the elevator. For the $90/night I paid and the fact that I didn't have to pay in advance and I could cancel up until 6:30 the night of arrival, I went with it.

Check in went well. I forgot about the elevator being in the back until I got there and found my third-floor room was right next to the elevator and the ice machine. The ice machine was loud just running and was horrible when used. Add the traffic in the hall and I knew I had to move.

I was moved down the hall and from a new pillowtop mattress (I checked when I arrived) to a room that smelled of smoke (I checked and there were ashes by the window) and the bed wasn't as comfortable. Sigh. I chose to stay but kept in mind I might leave the next day. The desk clerk said they were sold out and the room I was now in was the last one. Sigh. The location and all, I hoped, were going to trump the stale smoke smell in the room.

I stayed until the entire three nights I had booked and found the stay to be okay. Having a refrigerator in the room was nice and the grocery store just down the street made for a very economical trip.

Leaving was a pain when the only elevator (only one car, not a pair of elevators, at the back) was out of order and no sign was posted. I finally just carried all my stuff down the stairs. When I told the desk, I was told, "I know." His indifference left me with that "okay" overall feeling.

The location can't be beat for visiting Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Pleasantville, and Chappaqua. They need to enforce their penalty for smoking in the rooms, though, so the return in the evening isn't negative because people smoke anyway.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I've stayed here on a regular basis for the past five years or so. Never a problem. Nice clean room. Great service.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Ft Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I've stated before that I am a big fan of Marriott and while there were afew small things I was not thrilled with it didn't ruin my trip at all. I was in NY for a family party from 3/19-3/22 and wanted to also be near the Historic Hudson Valley area, which this hotel puts me right near. The room was nicely kept, and the bed was possibly one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. It was a hike to go around from the check in desk to my room on the 2nd fl other side of the hotel, but not biggie. While I didn't need to, they have a small "market" at the desk with sodas, water, snacks, etc, which was good to know. My only issues were that, although they have free use of the business center in the lobby(a plus), I tried to use the in room WebTV to check my email since I didn't want to go all the way to the lobby, but it didn't support Yahoo mail. I also tried to purchase a movie in the room on my last night, but no matter what I picked it was not available, so that function did not work, nor did the on tv portfolio. Overall I was more than satisfied with the hotel and only wish I had time to take advantage of their indoor pool!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed overnight at the hotel on the way from DC to Massachusetts.
Our room was clean and up to Marriott Courtyard standards.
The beds were fine.
We definitely enjoyed our breakfast in the morning - that was part of our room deal.

• Liked — Nice rooms and excellent breakfast
  • Disliked — No problems
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

We visited this hotel for one night on Mothersday. This might explain why there weren't many guests. For $ 139 (standard rate) the rooms were very spacious, quiet, clean and well equipped/stocked.
I liked the fact that the internet and printer in the lobby could be used free of charge. On top of that they had free internet (no wifi, but a networkcable) in the rooms.
The story about the elevator is true, although that wasn't much of a problem for me since I my room was located on the second floor. I've used the elevator only once for bringing in my suitcases. The staircase was nearby and it took only a few steps to get to the lobby.
The lady at the desk (I think it's the same lady as mentioned before) was very friendly and helpfull.

• Liked — Spacious rooms, free internet
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Greenburgh? Share your experiences!