“Really unfortunate” 2 of 5 stars

New York City, New York
“Really unfortunate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Big problem!

Imagine staying at a hotel with many floors & you need to grab something upstairs in your room before going out to dinner. Well, this weekend at the Tarrytown Sheraton, the elevators wouldn't let you. They could only handle the weight of 3 adults at any given time. We stayed here this past weekend & it was a mess. We waited A LOT for elevators, got stuck in them & couldn't et to our floor. We had no staircase access at all because there is an alarm that will go off.

And unfortunately, the hotel manager that night (2/16/13) was not helpful with anything! He was so incompetent at handling certain "hospitality" situations it was appalling! He had no interest in being understanding or helpful, he was just nasty.

We felt so uncomfortable because of him that we wanted to leave.

Long story short, we won't be back.

Room Tip: Stay in a suite or stay elsewhere. :(
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Mike F, General Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Allybeth,

Thank you for taking the time to share your frustrations with us. I would agree, the elevator has been maddening. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced as a result of the issue.

I’m happy to report that they are both working as designed now and their safe operation has been certified by the state inspector.

I will share your comments with the night manager and hope that he can learn from your input.

We wish you all the best in your future travels,
Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Kalispell, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I find myself writing this, my first hotel review ever, because the service at this hotel is above and beyond any I've ever stayed at. The morning crew, who I had the most interaction with, ALWAYS smiled genuinely and said things like "good morning," "have a great morning," "how can I help you, sir," addressed me on the phone as "Mr. ***," and generally made me feel like royalty throughout my four day stay.

I'm a customer service supervisor for a company that sent me to NY, and I understand how difficult it is for businesses to cope with irate, unreasonable customers who like to think they're throwing their weight around by posting negative reviews in places like this. So when I read some of the one-star reviews that were clearly written by just such people, I felt I had to provide my realistic point of view.

The employees of this hotel are respectful. They come across as genuine, caring, warm, and welcoming. I travel quite a bit, staying at a lot of hotels, and to find one at this price-point with this caliber of service is completely surprising. I've stayed in hotels that charged twice as much or more per night where I didn't receive this level of appreciation and warmth.

The room I stayed in was immaculate, the bed was firm and comfortable with clean linens, and the room smelled fresh. The shower worked great, had nice pressure, with plenty of warm water. The water tasted great from the tap and everything in my room functioned great. The wireless internet (which I'm using to write this review the night before my check-out) performed adequately, with no drops in reception.

The lobby is beautiful, the restaurant nice, and the morning staff there very professional and courteous. I enjoyed my breakfast each morning, which was reasonably priced and served very promptly.

The morning staff, who appeared to be under the direction of a grey-haired gentleman who I presumed to be a manager, was absolutely exceptional. One morning I was walking in the front door and this gentleman literally stepped back as I approached the front door, greeted me with a smile, a sincere "good morning, sir," and waited for me to enter the building before entering himself. I'm a humble customer service supervisor, and I'm certainly not used to that kind of treatment, but I have to say, it made me feel good. It's nice to be treated that way once in my life. It's just uncommon, and it was completely unexpected. But I was treated that way every single day of my stay.

So to this hotel and, especially to the exceptional staff who works here, I say KUDOS! I hope I have the pleasure of staying again someday.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Raymond for your kind words of praise for my associates. Of the many things I love about working here for the past 6+ years, working with such a great team is my favorite.
We wish safe travels and hope to see you here agin in the future,
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. I consider myself a "hotel snob" .I was pleasant surprised by how clean the hotel was. We had a rather large party and the hotel was VERY accommodating and made us feel very comfortable. We had alot of room changes/additions and the hotel staff went out of there way to accommodate us and our party. The rooms were spacious and nicely decorated. The parking lot had alot of space and there is a stop and shop in walking distance of the hotel. The only complaint I have was there was no free wifi I believe it was $10.00 a day for wifi. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bill40, Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear ReneeConnecticut,

Thank you for staying with us in our home. I believe we share the same name "Hotel Snob" when I travel I want a warm and friendly greeting, amenities I can use, and to feel at home.

Thank you for saying that our family went out of their way to accomodate, it makes me so proud to be part of this team at The Sheraton Tarrytown.

Be safe on your travels and we will see you soon again.

Sheraton Tarrytown
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Very nice property with great beds. My room was large with expansive desk which is great for work. Breakfast was good with fast service. Location is ideal for easy access. New grocery store in walking distance for any forgotten items are snacks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments.
Safe travels,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This Sheraton is a good example how a big chain can deliver a good stay. The hotel is on a convenient but not specially attractive location. The hotel is not a new one but the people they serve you make the positive points. Very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean but the air condition and heating unit is so laud it maybe will wake you up when it kicks in. The pool is very small so swimming is not a great deal. Otherwise a good hotel for a one day stay.

Room Tip: The 5th and 6th floor rooms are the best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We'll look into your loud heating unit and pass your kind comments about the staff on to them.
Safe travels,
Branchburg, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was making several reservations to stay at near by hotels for a series of concerts my wife and I were going to attend. In doing so I got the dates mixed up for the Graham Parker and the Rumour show at the Music Hall of Tarrytown and made a non-refundable reservation at he Sheraton for the wrong date. Once I realized the mistake, I called the reservation line and explained the situation. They told me that it was up to the hotel and that they would have them call me the next day once they explained the situation. As promised the Sheraton of Tarrytown called the following day and cancelled the reservation without charge. I booked the room for the correct weekend while on the phone with them.

The hotel was very comfortable and convenient to the Music Hall. We are going to stay there again in April when we go back to see the Mavericks at the Music Hall.

My only complaint was that there was no free internet in the rooms. Only the lobby area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill40, Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Michael M,

Thank you very much for your kind comments about your recent stay at the Sheraton Tarrytown.I am so happy that you were able to spend the time with our family.

The Sheraton Tarrytown takes pride in the special services offered to all of our guest. The attractions near by are wonderful and I am happy to hear that you were able to go see Graham Parker and the Rumours. The Tarrytown Music Hall has a great location near the Sheraton Tarrytown where life gets better to have the convenience to be minutes away.

Thank you again for making our home your choice for your guest.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

from the time i had arrived on December 23, 2012 and left on December 27, 2012 i have nothing
but praise for the hotel and its staff. room service was prompt and courteous and exactly what i
had ordered, excellent. on the evening of December 26, 2012 i wanted to get my booking pass
for my flight and pay for my baggage on line, unfortunately i hadn't had my glasses with me when
Nicole who was at the desk came over and assisted me in arranging for everything.
my room with a king size bed was large and pleasant and had everything i required, the house keeping staff were extremely pleasant and cordial.

Room Tip: rooms on the fifth floor are quieter .
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bill40, Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Casablanca328

Thank you very much for your kind comments about your recent stay at the Sheraton Tarrytown.I am so happy that you were able to share the holiday's with our family.

The Sheraton Tarrytown takes pride in the special services offered to all of our guest. Your kind words were communicated to the associates mentioned (Nicole, room service, and housekeeping). It is an honor to receive such an outstanding review, because your Trip Advisor profile indicates that you have reviewed several locations with such honesty.

Thank you again for making our home your choice for your guest.

Assistant General Manager

We hope to see you soon.

I am happy that the Sheraton Tarrytown had another great guest experience

Been to Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel? Share your experiences!