“Mixed mixed reviews” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Equus Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 56 Restaurants in Tarrytown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Situated on sprawling hilltop acres overlooking the Hudson River, the main tower of Castle Hotel & Spa forms the highest point in Westchester County. Castle Hotel & Spa is a medieval-style structure that was meticulously transformed into a luxury hotel, offering guests royal-quality service, luxurious guestrooms, and the award-winning Equus restaurant which features Auberge-style, natural French-inspired cuisine. The luxurious new THANN™ Sanctuary Spa is an oasis of peace and tranquility where a holistic treatment approach aims to rediscover inner physical and mental wellness. Only 25 miles north of Manhattan, Castle Hotel & Spa opened as a luxury hotel in 1997; 16 years after being designated a historic landmark.
Fort Worth, Texas
“Mixed mixed reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The vegetable crudités was so good I wished I had more access to their farms. The setting is England country manor beautiful, with a strong attention to every detail. We spent a couple nights so we had a couple dinners and a couple breakfasts. The latter were ordinary except for the fruit. but in a special garden room setting. Dinner with a wine pairing was nearly perfect, though service tailed off (understandably as it was Thanksgiving). Our bartender Amanda added enthusiasm and charm, as did Xavier. Would I go back. Yep. It is 90 percent 4 Seasons at 60 percent 4 Seasons price. For Westchester County, such a deal!

Elmsford, New York
“First class... these guys know how to get it done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Third time we've gone out to dinner on Thanksgiving... first time to Equos... finally a great holiday dinner out! Everything was excellent. The Thanksgiving dinner was perfect for my wife and I... traditional, very tasty, plentiful and very nicely presented. Daughters halibut was the same.. excellent. Moist turkey, fantastic stuffing... really good, beautiful desserts... impeccable service... definitely the place for the special occasion. We will be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
“Dining in a Castle - Classic Service and Great Presentation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Dinner in a Castle (sure it's only a 100 years old but still) can’t be beat! They really know how to serve (with server actually glancing at your!! table as they pass you on the way to other tables-outstanding).
Our Chop salad was presented in such a way (I'll leave it to you to discover) that at first glance I didn't know what it was!?!? Delicious and fresh.

Had the Duo (short ribs prepared for 48 hours and superb sirloin thinly slice -I preferred the latter) and the Chicken with berry Risossoto (had a phenomenal smoky and delicate taste).

Coffee was good as well as the Hazelnut desert (can't quite remember the details of the desert as I was blown away with the main course).

Clientele was a bit snobbish for my taste but the staff was exceptional. Special Kudos to Michael and of course Milton!

If you want a special romantic dining experience this is the best in the area!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Westchester, NY
“Unfortunate”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

(1) Equus lost my open table reservation - had to show them the email on my mobile.

(2) My colleague called and sent my wife and I a bottle of champagne, they never delivered it to my table.

(3) Went to leave, they gave me the wrong coats.

(4) I wrote them a nice email explaining these shortcomings, and, two days later still no response.

Based on this, I'd say it's a good choice for those seeking disappointment, calamity, mistake and failure. Short of that, the ambiance is nice, and food service is exemplary.

No one goes here for the actual food.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Westchester, NY
“Great date night!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I've always wanted to eat at The Castle but I worried it might be too pretentious. I was wrong ! It was a fantastic night. The staff greeted us at the door with a smile and made us feel welcomed as they sat us at a lovely table. The dining rooms are comfortable and cozy while still appear impressive. The serving staff were very nice, helpful and surprisingly down to earth . The food was delicious. They sent out a complimentary vegetable soup sample that tasted great- and I don't normally like veg soup! We had the venison and fluke. Both were very good although I wasn't a fan of the pomegranates around the fluke. Dessert was amazing. Chocolate mouse cake was light and delicious. The apple and hazelnut was one of the best desserts my husband ever had. After dinner we sat by the fireplace. We were very impressed with Equus and can't wait to go back. They even have a tasters menu for $95 that allow you to sample an appetizer, something from the sea, land and a dessert.

• 4 of 5 stars Food