“Service Worthy of Road-Wary King” 4 of 5 stars

Castle Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Benedict Avenue, Tarrytown, NY 10591   |
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Seattle, Washington
“Service Worthy of Road-Wary King”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First up, it really is a castle which at first seems cool but then you are like... a castle... in Tarrytown? Will the beds be coin op? :) But surprise, surprise, the beds and rooms turned out to be quite nice, very large and with good amenities. The gym was just meh... basically a couple cardio machines with no wi-fi but the hours are flexible (just ask the staff and they will open it for you whenever). The bar was pretty small but the restaurant was nice. What really made the difference between a 3.5 star and 4 for me was the service. The staff was really prompt and went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and at home. Downsides - the gym isn't great, its pricey for what you get (this is really more a weekend get-away hotel than a business place), and there is a fair amount of highway noise when you walk the grounds outside. Overall though, a solid place.

Room Tip: If you need to use the gym or want a drink after hours, just ask. Service is super helpful
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Brittney B, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, today
Dear SeattleChris001,

We are pleased to know that the "Road Warrior King" felt he received accommodations and service fit for a king! Thank you for taking the time to share how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were surprised to find an actual castle in Tarrytown, NY!

We are glad you found your room accommodations to be very nice, spacious and with good amenities, but what made you give us a four star rating was the service. We are happy to know you felt our staff was really prompt and went out of their way to make you feel comfortable, well taken care of and at home.

We hope when you travel to the area again, we can welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
new jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed at the castle hotel to be near our (fabulous) dining experience at blue hill. from the minute we arrived, it was a mess. the property is very nice, as are the rooms, but the staff is clearly "not ready for prime time". our stay was in april and i should have written then, but i decided to cool off and not bother. as a newly reopened venue, they had specifically asked that we give them a review on trip advisor - they were clueless as to all the issues we experienced. then, the last straw broke my resolve. i booked and paid for the stay through Hotels.com. the last straw -- they put through a charge for the room on my charge card - i was double charged!! i saw the charge when i reviewed my amex bill. i called them and left a message with the finance person, who never called me back. i called hotels.com and they said they will get Castle Hotel to reverse the charge. I can't decide if it was incompetence or intentional, but at the very least the finance person should have returned my call.

since i'm writing -- here's what also happened…..
* they have valet service for the car but no valet was to be found; we finally found someone
*there was a fire alarm going on outside our room when we arrived and all afternoon; they said it was a malfunction and were having it repaired. in the evening it restarted. we called the desk repeatedly and they said they were working on it. they never offered to move us to another room even though most of the rooms on the other side of the hotel were empty (we know this as they showed us the rooms when we checked in - they were trying to upsell us). our room was large and lovely and we were fine with where we were - we just didn't know we'd be hearing a fire alarm all night. when we returned from dinner, it was off, however during the night, it was still pinging away
*we gave our ticket to the valet to get our car, and they gave us the wrong car. they insisted it was our car because they had mixed up the tickets (don't you think we know which is our car?)
*when i got home, i realized i had left my phone charger in the room. i called, they said they didn't have it. then they called me back and said they did. i asked them to mail it to me. they said they would charge my credit card (on file from the stay) for the postage. really???? but, i said fine. then i got a call back telling me my card was declined and i had to give another number. my card is just fine (especially as they seemed to have no trouble double charging me for the room) and i was furious. i told them to forget about it and keep the charger. by then i was so angry, i called back and asked to speak to a supervisor. he told me that the card was not declined but that they don't keep the number on file after we check out (which made sense) and he would mail my charger back and pay for it personally (really, again???)

i figured i was done with Castle Hotel, until this latest indignity. Stay away. Maybe some day they will get their act together. Until then, stay anywhere else. it's a nice property but it is not worth the annoyances.

Room Tip: don't do it……..
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Castle is a beautiful well cared for property. More than this, however, is the stellar quality of the staff, who seem to be able to nticipate your every need (and this includes programming your automobile GPS to take you to your next location). Sara N, in particular, merits a huge shout out but everyone is courteous, helpful and sensitive to your wish to have a delightful stay. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Brittney B, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear poiesis42,

We are so pleased to hear that you found The Castle to be a beautiful well cared for property, beyond compare! More than hearing that you loved all that The Castle had to offer, we love hearing that our stellar service from our staff really stood out to you and made a difference in your stay. Thank you for sharing that it seemed as if they could anticipate your every need and that they were all extremely courteous, helpful and sensitive to your wish to have a delightful stay! Making our guests feel welcome and well cared for is our number one goal we strive for here at the hotel and we are glad we succeeded when you stayed with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have not had the privilege of staying at the castle yet but I have visited the spa on two occasions recently. I can say, it is without doubt the best massage I've ever had. My sister in law and I visit spas on a regular basis and this is by far our favourite. I would like the hot tub to be outside but that is my only criticism. James deserves special mention, he's an amazing masseur. I will definitely be back!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Brittney B, General Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Christine C,

We are thrilled to hear you have had wonderful spa experiences on two different occasions recently here with us. We love hearing that you felt they were, "the best massage," you've ever had! Thank you for sharing that our spa is by far your favorite, in all the spas you have been to. We will be sure to share with James, your glowing compliments and that you felt, that he's an amazing masseur. We'll look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We heard about this hotel from a couple who raved about it a while back. He was especially impressed with Equus, an intimate European styled restaurant on site.
We arrived after an 11 hour flight from Honolulu, tattered and frayed, and quickly checked into to their excellent day spa for a massages, steam, jacuzzi and relaxation in their rest area where we had a choice of delicious teas and natural treats. The beautiful scenery and restful chaises helped us recuperate. We met the reception and concierge staff. Sarah helped us with planning our activities and was remarkable in anticipating our needs. Dario had the historical background and had helped me make reservations for the spa.
In addition, our rooms were large, the shower strong, slippers and robe appreciated. The grounds are immaculate and show the concern the friendly staff has to detail.
We highly recommend this excellent resort.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Frank R,

We are thrilled to hear you had a wonderful, relaxing stay at our "excellent resort," and that we met your overall expectations. We are glad that our staff took such great care of you, helping you plan your days with us and helping you schedule a wonderful spa experience for you both! Our hotel is very unique and we are happy to know we could provide you with a very comfortable stay and give you "the feel of Europe," while you stayed with us! Thank you for your review and we hope we can welcome you back again, next time you visit the New York area.
Sleepy Hollow, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2015

I took my wife here for her birthday and stayed in one of the tower suites. Truly amazing, huge, huge multi-room suite with views up and down the Hudson River. The pool area and grounds are immaculate and cozy. And let's not forget about the spa.... one of the finer spas in the country in my opinion.

As this hotel/castle is situated on one of the highest points in Westchester county, you can see forever and get a sense that you are on top of the world.

Stay here and you will feel like European Royalty from check-in, to check-out.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Brittney B, General Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2015
Dear seejoefish,

We are thrilled to know you were made to feel like European Royalty from check-in, to check-out when you stayed with us for your wife's birthday. Thank you for sharing how truly amazing, and huge your Tower Suites room was and that you had amazing views up and down the Hudson River. We are pleased to hear you found the pool area and grounds immaculate and cozy and that your spa experience was a wonderful one.

Thank you for choosing The Castle to celebrate such a special occasion and we look forward to welcoming you back again one day.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2015

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and had a wonderful experience. The staff was very attentive to all our needs. Staff was polite and made us feel welcomed at all times. The room was very clean and well decorated. We also visited the spa and had a very relaxing afternoon with stress melting away..the staff there was also wonderful I would definitely visit again and recommend my family and friends to stay at the Castle Hotel & Spa.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Brittney B, General Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2015
Dear Hprc23,

We are glad we could "melt some of the stress away," as part of your weekend get-away at The Castle! Thank you for sharing how wonderful your weekend stay with us was and that our staff made you feel so welcome and was attentive to all of your needs throughout your stay. We are happy you had a relaxing spa treatment at Thann and that you found our rooms comfortable and beautifully decorated. We hope when you want to get-away again, we can welcome you back!

Been to Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!