“A perfect anniverary celebration” 5 of 5 stars

400 Benedict Avenue, Tarrytown, NY 10591   |
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersGold level
Westchester County, NY
“A perfect anniverary celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I celebrated an important anniversary at the Castle Hotel & Spa and we could not have dreamed of a better experience. From check-in to check-out everything was magical. Outstanding service, warm hospitality, wonderful staff, amazing suite, great dinner, lovely breakfast outdoors on the patio - added touches such as champagne and a special anniversary dessert - what can I say? It was just perfect.

Room Tip: Stay in a castle and fulfill your dreams!

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

While the Hotel has a unique charm, the staff are trained to treat guests like they are doing you a favor helping you.
Given the proximity to NYC we were hoping for a better experience that we would want to return to.
The Spa treatments were expensive and did not live up to their billing. This Hotel seems to be better at marketing itself than delivering on what could be an awesome place.
This was one and done for us.

New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was here for a wedding and I was stunned by this place and its grounds
From the Valet Parking to the ceremony to the reception everything was just perfection.
Food was outstanding and the staff very polite and prompt to help. This castle is also known among the Brazilian Community as the "Castelo da revista Caras" where they take celebrities from Brazil for the season and advertise pictures and people in a Brazilian Magazine known as "Caras" so it was very nice for me to be there since I'm Brazilian.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This hotel was a beautiful surprise in the small village of Tareytown. It was a nice change from the run-of-the mill hotels we are used to. We liked everything except the dinner - it was overpriced and not very good. Our tables were squeezed in so tightly that we couldn't have a personal conversation. The wait staff was average but not very accommodating. The price was very high for what we received. Otherwise; the visit was good The breakfast was good and the waiter at breakfast was great. All in all, a good experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed here for two nights last weekend to attend my aunt’s wedding (the ceremony and reception were onsite).

Upon arrival, I was checked-in by a gentleman named Nikko, who explained to me he was from Germany and had recently begun working here. He was polite, well-spoken and represented the hotel appropriately.

I was a little bit surprised that he led me to my room by taking me up the utility staircase (because the elevator was much farther down the hallway). My first impression of the hotel was therefore a narrow staircase featuring dirty carpeting and even a padlocked metal cage holding outdoor chair cushions.

Arrival to the room: I found the bed to be quite plush and comfortable and the sheets and towels were modern and spotless. However, the outdated carpet was not well vacuumed and I found a dead cockroach (or large water bug) along the wall. Of course, this encouraged me to inspect the room further. I found dust on top of the bed frame and armoire but the couch cushions were very well cleaned, even underneath.

There were hairs on the floor In the bathroom and a half used roll of toilet paper on the toilet paper holder (at least it was folded into a triangle!). One of the vanity’s light bulbs was a CFL the other was an incandescent—a bit weird.

I mentioned the dead bug to the front desk staff and they were apologetic. I told them it wasn’t a big deal but asked if they could have the carpet vacuumed. Two hours later, the cleaning staff vacuumed the room and did a very nice job—I couldn’t find any dust or hairs and the carpet looked clean.

The hotel grounds faced similar oversights. The backyard area is quite beautiful and the grass and trees are very well manicured and the outdoor chairs and cushions are comfortable and clean. A really beautiful place for a wedding ceremony and reception. The pool and gym facilities are also clean and easily accessible. I really liked that the gym was open 24 hours a day (just ask the concierge at night and they will let you in).

However, there were bizarre oversights like bird droppings covering one of the outdoor stone walls and the cigarette ash trays looked like they hadn’t been cleaned in days. The hotel maintenance program seemed haphazard—some things were great and other aspects were completely overlooked or ignored almost as if the cleaning and maintenance staff were lacking the standard checklists that every hotelier is taught in hospitality school.

Overall, I found the hotel front desk, wait and valet staff to be respectful and helpful and trained to the quality expected of a 3.5 to 4 star hotel, which is exactly what this place advertises itself as. I believe that the staff is hardworking and enthusiastic and with a little more training could achieve a 5 star level of guest relations.

Little things like taking me up the utility stairs for check-in and not immediately removing the dead cockroach tell me that they just haven’t been trained properly but I have no doubt that this staff could rise to the challenge.

The hotel clearly suffers from deferred maintenance and, at the very least, needs updated carpets in the guest rooms and hallways. I heard that some of the guest rooms had been renovated but did not personally have the opportunity to see a renovated room.
It seems cost cutting habits borne out of the recession have continued and this focus on reducing maintenance costs do have an impact on your stay.

You get the impression that the general manager never went to hospitality school and does not quite understand his or her job: hospitality 101 items such as a morning property walk through, frequent room inspections and continuing staff training are obviously not happening. It seems that the only thing holding back this hotel is its upper management, which is really sad.

Overall, a great place to hold a wedding event. However, if your guests are coming from New York City, I would recommend that they drive home at night instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a hotel room here.

“Adequate” is the best word to describe this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

You can tell that this hotel holds a special place in not only the staff's hearts bit also in the hearts of the surrounding community.
While my friend and I were awaiting our check in at the spa, we saw a mother and daughter walk around the grounds,stopping at a mound of lush, green lawn, or near a beautiful vista that surrounds the landscape. Obviously planning a wedding, and understandably so, the estate is gorgeous and straight out of a postcard from a far off countryside in a fairytale.
Unfortunately, the rest is a bit of a tired, old, and worn out story.
Dated would be putting it nicely. Dusty is more like it.
Of course the hotel is decorated in the fashion of a "castle" but I'm sure there are ways to modernize even this theme. Maybe not take it so literally?
In any case, at least keep it clean.
Our room was strife with bits of leftovers from the previous guest.
A tuft of hair in the corner of the bathtub, and wad of hair on the bathrobe, and a used contact lens solution tubey-thingy on the bathroom sink was just careless lack of quality maintenance.
If we had been staying more than one night we would have asked for a different room, but at least the beds were clean, so we stayed out of sheer laziness.
The much lauded Equus restaurant, which we were kind of shocked to see was actually pretty busy on a Friday night, was just OK.
Again, great service, knowledgeable, and expedient, but the food was hit or miss. A great dish, then just an OK one…not consistent and not spectacular, omigod, amazing.

The real star of the hotel is the Thann Spa! THAT is amazing and totally worth the entire trip up from Brooklyn.
If you are headed to the Castle, do yourself a favor and book an entire day at the spa…you will not regret it.
Also, the grounds are amazingly beautiful, and the pool is nice too.

Room Tip: If you are able to book a room with a view of the grounds take it!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had a small group, including a young baby, and needed a hotel close to the city for a quick family getaway. Tarrytown is a lovely little burgh, great restaurants and views. Very quaint.

The hotel is very close to the center of town, but be warned - you need a car to get around. Parking, as far as I know, is free, but valeted.

Pros: insanely comfy beds! Large rooms, free minibar (drinks only), nightly turndown service. Nice continental breakfast included. Lovely grounds and pool area.

Cons: Minibar isn't restocked, not much difference in size between a suite and a regular room, not baby-friendly (they provided a crib, but it's not a hotel for kids). Window treatments are a bit heavy, so rooms tended to be fairly dark. DIRECTV service was out for most channels.

I wish I'd known about the pool - lovely little bar area. Restaurant is quite fancy, not the best option for vegetarians, and drinks were quite expensive.

My real issue was that check-in time was 4pm, and our room wasn't ready until after 5pm. We had three rooms and they were able to accommodate us fairly quickly (by 4pm) for the other two. We were offered sparkling wine upon arrival.

I think they ought to upgrade their bathrooms (eliminate the bathtub and put in a nice steam shower) and bathroom products - which were "wood" scented, by the way!

I'd recommend this hotel to friends looking for a quick getaway from NYC as long as they rented a car! Not a great choice for families, but excellent for couples.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!