“Great place for a wedding, but don't bother staying overnight” 3 of 5 stars

400 Benedict Avenue, Tarrytown, NY 10591   |
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Monica, California
“Great place for a wedding, but don't bother staying overnight”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here for two nights last weekend to attend my aunt’s wedding (the ceremony and reception were onsite).

Upon arrival, I was checked-in by a gentleman named Nikko, who explained to me he was from Germany and had recently begun working here. He was polite, well-spoken and represented the hotel appropriately.

I was a little bit surprised that he led me to my room by taking me up the utility staircase (because the elevator was much farther down the hallway). My first impression of the hotel was therefore a narrow staircase featuring dirty carpeting and even a padlocked metal cage holding outdoor chair cushions.

Arrival to the room: I found the bed to be quite plush and comfortable and the sheets and towels were modern and spotless. However, the outdated carpet was not well vacuumed and I found a dead cockroach (or large water bug) along the wall. Of course, this encouraged me to inspect the room further. I found dust on top of the bed frame and armoire but the couch cushions were very well cleaned, even underneath.

There were hairs on the floor In the bathroom and a half used roll of toilet paper on the toilet paper holder (at least it was folded into a triangle!). One of the vanity’s light bulbs was a CFL the other was an incandescent—a bit weird.

I mentioned the dead bug to the front desk staff and they were apologetic. I told them it wasn’t a big deal but asked if they could have the carpet vacuumed. Two hours later, the cleaning staff vacuumed the room and did a very nice job—I couldn’t find any dust or hairs and the carpet looked clean.

The hotel grounds faced similar oversights. The backyard area is quite beautiful and the grass and trees are very well manicured and the outdoor chairs and cushions are comfortable and clean. A really beautiful place for a wedding ceremony and reception. The pool and gym facilities are also clean and easily accessible. I really liked that the gym was open 24 hours a day (just ask the concierge at night and they will let you in).

However, there were bizarre oversights like bird droppings covering one of the outdoor stone walls and the cigarette ash trays looked like they hadn’t been cleaned in days. The hotel maintenance program seemed haphazard—some things were great and other aspects were completely overlooked or ignored almost as if the cleaning and maintenance staff were lacking the standard checklists that every hotelier is taught in hospitality school.

Overall, I found the hotel front desk, wait and valet staff to be respectful and helpful and trained to the quality expected of a 3.5 to 4 star hotel, which is exactly what this place advertises itself as. I believe that the staff is hardworking and enthusiastic and with a little more training could achieve a 5 star level of guest relations.

Little things like taking me up the utility stairs for check-in and not immediately removing the dead cockroach tell me that they just haven’t been trained properly but I have no doubt that this staff could rise to the challenge.

The hotel clearly suffers from deferred maintenance and, at the very least, needs updated carpets in the guest rooms and hallways. I heard that some of the guest rooms had been renovated but did not personally have the opportunity to see a renovated room.
It seems cost cutting habits borne out of the recession have continued and this focus on reducing maintenance costs do have an impact on your stay.

You get the impression that the general manager never went to hospitality school and does not quite understand his or her job: hospitality 101 items such as a morning property walk through, frequent room inspections and continuing staff training are obviously not happening. It seems that the only thing holding back this hotel is its upper management, which is really sad.

Overall, a great place to hold a wedding event. However, if your guests are coming from New York City, I would recommend that they drive home at night instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a hotel room here.

“Adequate” is the best word to describe this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

You can tell that this hotel holds a special place in not only the staff's hearts bit also in the hearts of the surrounding community.
While my friend and I were awaiting our check in at the spa, we saw a mother and daughter walk around the grounds,stopping at a mound of lush, green lawn, or near a beautiful vista that surrounds the landscape. Obviously planning a wedding, and understandably so, the estate is gorgeous and straight out of a postcard from a far off countryside in a fairytale.
Unfortunately, the rest is a bit of a tired, old, and worn out story.
Dated would be putting it nicely. Dusty is more like it.
Of course the hotel is decorated in the fashion of a "castle" but I'm sure there are ways to modernize even this theme. Maybe not take it so literally?
In any case, at least keep it clean.
Our room was strife with bits of leftovers from the previous guest.
A tuft of hair in the corner of the bathtub, and wad of hair on the bathrobe, and a used contact lens solution tubey-thingy on the bathroom sink was just careless lack of quality maintenance.
If we had been staying more than one night we would have asked for a different room, but at least the beds were clean, so we stayed out of sheer laziness.
The much lauded Equus restaurant, which we were kind of shocked to see was actually pretty busy on a Friday night, was just OK.
Again, great service, knowledgeable, and expedient, but the food was hit or miss. A great dish, then just an OK one…not consistent and not spectacular, omigod, amazing.

The real star of the hotel is the Thann Spa! THAT is amazing and totally worth the entire trip up from Brooklyn.
If you are headed to the Castle, do yourself a favor and book an entire day at the spa…you will not regret it.
Also, the grounds are amazingly beautiful, and the pool is nice too.

Room Tip: If you are able to book a room with a view of the grounds take it!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had a small group, including a young baby, and needed a hotel close to the city for a quick family getaway. Tarrytown is a lovely little burgh, great restaurants and views. Very quaint.

The hotel is very close to the center of town, but be warned - you need a car to get around. Parking, as far as I know, is free, but valeted.

Pros: insanely comfy beds! Large rooms, free minibar (drinks only), nightly turndown service. Nice continental breakfast included. Lovely grounds and pool area.

Cons: Minibar isn't restocked, not much difference in size between a suite and a regular room, not baby-friendly (they provided a crib, but it's not a hotel for kids). Window treatments are a bit heavy, so rooms tended to be fairly dark. DIRECTV service was out for most channels.

I wish I'd known about the pool - lovely little bar area. Restaurant is quite fancy, not the best option for vegetarians, and drinks were quite expensive.

My real issue was that check-in time was 4pm, and our room wasn't ready until after 5pm. We had three rooms and they were able to accommodate us fairly quickly (by 4pm) for the other two. We were offered sparkling wine upon arrival.

I think they ought to upgrade their bathrooms (eliminate the bathtub and put in a nice steam shower) and bathroom products - which were "wood" scented, by the way!

I'd recommend this hotel to friends looking for a quick getaway from NYC as long as they rented a car! Not a great choice for families, but excellent for couples.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Just 1 hour by Metro North train from Grand Central or 30 mins driving from the craziness of Manhattan is a quiet retreat; an old castle that houses a great getaway with attaching spa (see my review of Thann Spa.) The service here is exceptional though the food is slightly off on occasion. Enjoy a glass of champagne whilst you check in - to me, that's always a good sign of things to come! Plenty of facilities to keep you entertained over the weekend - tennis courts, a gym, pool, restaurant, but why bother? Just lounge in the beautiful gardens and watch the steady flow of weddings and cocktail parties that take place under the lovely old trees. People watching is so much more fun! Regular weekend packages on offer. And do check out the spa.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I arrived on a Very Cold Spring day with -15 temperature, and upon arrival, they served me a warm welcome drink with made me feel very much at home.
The staff are very helpful, and the rooms are huge.
The restaurant is beautiful but the food is only so so.
But it is only 40 minutes from NYC, so taking a short break here is not a bad choice.

Room Tip: Visit Woodbury Common outlet Mall which is 25 minutes away.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was a perfect getaway for a weekend. We stayed at the castle for one night and bought the spa package. the package included two 60 minute massages, deluxe room, and lunch on Sunday. When we arrived at the castle, they automatically upgraded us to a junior suite and told us the breakfast is complementary. both were very pleasant surprises.
The castle is gorgeous, the spa is luxurious, servise is gret. my husband and I were able to really relax and enjoy the place.
Since we had the Sunday lunch included at their famous restaurant, we decided to venture out for Saturday dinner into town so can't say how good their dinner is. but lunch was very delicious.
overall, we had a great experience!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brittney B, Public Relations Manager at Castle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Good afternoon,
Thank you from Castle Hotel & Spa for your generous review on Trip Advisor. We are so glad you and your husband enjoyed our THANN Sanctuary Spa Escape Package and that we were able to exceed your expectations! We look forward to welcoming you back to the property soon! enjoy your weekend!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

After Hurricane Sandy my boyfriend and I drove north to find gas, out of desperation. Unfortunately, we got stuck in that nor'easter, along with everybody else up in Westchester. After frantically searching the Internet on our phones and calling all the hotels around only to be told there were no rooms, we landed on this place called Castle on the Hudson. Not only did they have one room left, they held it for us for the entire two hours it took us to travel the 1.4 miles to get there.

After arriving at the Castle we were treated with an astonishing level of respect and kindness, even though we weren't at all dressed for a stay in a luxury hotel - We had left the city right after work. Everyone from the front desk to the bell boy was more than kind, they were human. And our room was exemplary - a beautiful four poster bed, a bose sound system, and a bathtub you could swim in, complete with terry cloth slippers and robes. The room was classic and cozy. A true respite after what had been a nearly 4 hour nightmare.

We both hope to go back again for a planned visit to enjoy this truly unique hotel.

*Tripadvisor didn't have an option for Nov 2012, so I had to choose 2013 to save the review.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon Tamara,
Thank you from Castle Hotel & Spa for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. We are so glad you got to our property safe and sound and enjoyed your time with us even in the nor'easter we were experiencing. We look forward to welcoming you and your boyfriend back to our property as we have recently underwent a $12 million renovation with the addition of a new Spa that I am sure you will both enjoy! Have a wonderful weekend!

Been to Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!